Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By A.D.D.i.c.t.

Thread: Synapse 25 as multi-purpose EDC backpack?

Synapse 25 as multi-purpose EDC backpack?

I am posting this unusual concern today out of curiosity. I have been glacially slow in making a decision about getting a new backpack. I haven't had a decent backpack in four years, give or take, and I miss it. Up until now, I have been thinking about getting a Brain Bag with full-sized Vertical Freudian Slip and at least one Tom Bihn Camera Insert/Outsert. But the recent introduction of the Synapse Freudian Slips has piqued my curiosity. I am now (half-seriously) reconsidering the Brain Bag, leaning more towards the Synapse 25. It is true that the Brain Bag is $5 US less expensive (note I do not use the word "cheaper", as nothing here is), but the Brain Bag version I wanted was camo anyway, so with its deletion and the release last year of ScottE22's Synapse 25 video, I decided to give the Synapse another look.

This clumsy shoulder bag is my current EDC, and for the last three years I have hated it. It is a cheap, Chinese-made camera bag. While it is padded and holds my Canon SLR, extra lens and a camcorder nicely, it is terrible as an EDC, not able to carry other items I regularly need. Even though a backpack is not the most ergonomic means to carry photography equipment while walking/hiking, especially for quick wildlife shots, I've done it with a backpack before and find the shoulder bag has too many of its own problems. First and foremost, this Canon 2400 Gadget Bag makes for a horrible non-photography, non-video EDC.

Here's my conception of a basic EDC packing list:

Camera (in the past, I often carried a Canon PowerShot S2IS ultra-zoom point-and-shoot in a holster; since Fall of 2011, I've been using a Canon Digital Rebel SLR, plus extra lens)
    Tablet and/or Notebook similar to Bihn's Field Journal Notebook
    Writing Utensils
    Flashlight(s)
    Cellphone, maybe iPod or Smartphone
    Chapstick
    Hand Sanitzer
    Dedicated GPS Receiver (currently using DeLorme Earthmate PN-40)
    Camera Cards
    Batteries

Optional EDC items (each of these items is separately optional):

Clothing / Jacket / Pullover Hoodie
    At least one SLR and/or extra SLR lens
    Camcorder
    Water/Hydration
    Tapes
    Maps
    Compass
    iPad Mini
    13-inch MacBook Pro Retina
    Walkie-Talkies / Handheld 2-way radios

These lists are derived from a now-ancient 2009 thread when I posted photos of some long-since-departed backpacks I used. Note that there is no way I can carry even half of that stuff without a separate bag. (And I don't like taking two bags with me) Plus the fact that the Canon Gadget Bag is now slowly falling apart, and I never want one of those things again.

The Brain Bag remains a very real possibility, with obvious capacity advantages. Other videographers agreeAlaska Filmmaker's Minimalist Kit - Tom Bihn message posted on Facebook. (And there's always to possibility of buying a "used" camo BB off the internet.) But the Synapse looks to be an easier, more minimalist EDC for this "new" decade. And that new Synapse Freudian Slip presents new EDC possibilities.

But what about aftermarket padded camera inserts/pouches/vessels for my photo / video gear? I asked a vaguely similar question several months ago, but I thought I would revisit it here in a more comprehensive way.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

The FS for the S25 is incredible. Pockets on pockets on pockets. I would agree, the synapse would be better for all around edc. Particularly with the front pockets. That opens up so many possibilities for organizing.

Does anyone combine functions for a multi-purpose EDC in a Synapse 25, such as photography, mobile office, ext.? If so, how do you organize everything?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0