Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn gear goes to New York City

Tom Bihn gear goes to New York City

I took my first trip to the big apple recently and was blown away by the city. I typically try not to act like too big of a tourist but I'll have to admit, I totally geeked out and was taking pictures left and right. I live in orange county, CA and NYC was completely different from waht I am used to. I loved how they city seemed so lively with people everywhere above and below ground. I took a steel aeronaut 45 and my less than 1 week old grey s25 while my girlfriend used my black parapak s19. The aeronaut used as a backpack was wonderful walking from different subway lines. It was nice not having to worry about a rolling luggage with all the stairs/uneven floors and gaps in the subway platform. I traveled with the s25 inside the aeronaut and once we reached our hotel in times square (two thumbs up for the marriott marquis) I used the s25 as a daypack and it went everywhere with me. On the way back, we bought a couple of things so the s25 was brought on my united flight as a personal item without any issues.

Some random info that may be of use to anyone that is into photography. The gorillapod focus with its matching ballhead fits on the bottom of the s25 perfectly. I went to b&h to try out some solutions for keeping my camera safe in my s25. The crumpler "haven" camera pouch fits very well. With the large size there is a very slight bump on the back but with the medium and small, you cant feel it at all. I'm still deciding but I think I'll be going with the large. This isn't for anyone that travels with a lot of gear but if you like to go with the bare minimum like me, it's a great combo.

Anyways, enough with the mindless rambling...here's a few photos I took. I hope you enjoy

Name:  15536653388_fa80fc534e_b.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  237.6 KB

Name:  15536515687_828dcbbbda_b.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  376.2 KB

Name:  15536853670_e0f8f787c7_b.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  454.8 KB

Name:  15719783261_05dd8fec14_b.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  317.5 KB

Name:  15535824829_00c5397701_b.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  247.2 KB

There's a Facebook group called "I Love New York City" where people post images of the city. You may want to consider joining that group and sharing these photos there.
    timothy likes this.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Super Moderator
    Beautiful shots! Curious -- what kind of camera, what kind of settings? Are these HDR photos? Specially manipulated?

Wow!....beautifully captured pictures of a beautiful city! This is my dream destination...hope to visit it one day (soon hopefully) with my family. Thanks for sharing! Also, wonderful to hear that the @19, S25 and A45 works well for you both on this trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great shots of the city. Even after living in downtown Seattle for a few years, NYC still feels totally different - a different energy to the way people move there, I think.

Did you happen to try the Crumpler Havens in the S19? I'm using a random off-brand insert in the bottom of my S19 right now, and as long as I turn the camera (Canon 70D) the correct way it sits fine. But I'd like something a little more padded like the Haven, I just have to figure out which size.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Where did you take these fabulous photos from? It's a fantastic view and the lights are so shimmery in your photos.

Slightly tangential...I can't believe how large the H&M logo is on that skyscraper!

Thanks for the kind words.

mtnman, thanks for the suggestion...unfortunately I don't use facebook.

timothy, these were taken with a fujifilm x-t1 with the kit lens. I got it a few weeks before the trip to replace my old camera (fujifilm x100) and was really happy with the results. I have always loved taking pictures but i'll be the first to admit I am terrible with post processing. There was nothing special done with these photos, just a lot of patience and time spent waiting for the right lighting. All these photos are actually jpegs straight out of the camera, I didn't want to mess with the raw files since I was so happy with the results. The only editing done was straightening out the horizons and re-sizing. https://www.flickr.com/photos/allen2...7649157919245/ That is a link to the flickr set, if you click on each individual picture, it'll give you all the settings used once you click "show exif". I'll be adding more pictures tomorrow when I have time to go through some more.

wenv- I'll be honest, when my girlfriend picked ny for her birthday destination I wasn't too excited. I've always leaned towards tropical vacations so going to a big city didn't sound relaxing. While it isn't as relaxing as swimming in the ocean, it is equally as rewarding if not more. I've already asked her if she is interested in going back for my birthday instead of hawaii as planned. I'm sure you and your family will love it.

meglet- unfortunately I did not try out the inserts in the s19. My guess is the medium would easily fit but that would prob only hold your camera with lens attached so i'm not sure if that meets your needs or not (multiple lenses or flash). As far as the large size, I have no idea. I want to say yes but you should definitely measure things out.

stanford-
    1. airport coming home, I wish I remembered to take more pictures of my s25 when we were out
    2. top of the rock observation deck (top floor)
    3. top of the rock observation deck (shooting down at the lower floor)
    4. Instead of taking the subway one night, my girlfriend and I decided to take a walk. We came across a rooftop bar called 230 Fifth. Keep in mind it was a Monday night but they were very nice about letting us up to grab a drink and take some pictures even though we were not dressed for it. They wont let you bring a conventional tripod up but the bouncers were ok with my gorillapod.
    5. "main street park" between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridge
    Last edited by allen2oo3; 11-05-2014 at 11:38 PM.

@allen2oo3, your photos are breathtaking. I grew up in the OC too so I know what you mean by being surprised by your love for big city vacationing. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Great photos! Thanks for sharing!
    How long was the duration of your stay? Did you pack clothes and shoes for you both in the Aeronaut?
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Beautiful photos!! Thanks so much for sharing them, and the camera info too! (I have been toying with the idea of switching to one of the Fujis, at least for long trips... lugging the DSLR is becoming less desirable, vs. the lure of minimalist packing. :) So the T1 is making you much happier than the X100?)

Thank you for taking such beautiful photos of my home city. Not surprisingly, since I'm from and still live in NYC, I haven't gotten around to doing a lot of the "touristy" things that showcase the city in its best light. In all the bustle of trying to get through the day (and night), it's easy to forget how magnificient the city looks. It is wonderful to see it from the eyes of a newcomer.

The next time you're in NYC, hit up these boards! There are a few of us here who'd be happy to show off our TB bags in person and share some off-the-beaten-path suggestions.

dorayme, we stayed for 5 nights. I used the a45 and my girlfriend used a roller luggage. It was actually her first time traveling without checking a bag so that was already a big step for her.

haraya, I started with a nikon d200 w/ all top tier glass. Then I downsized to a x100 (my back loved it) and now I have shifted to the x-t1. The x100 (and all newer models) is/was a fantastic camera. The image quality is superb and the color tones are very pleasing to me. The reason I shifted to the x-t1 was that I wanted the flexibility of different focal lengths (through zooms and primes) when "zooming with your feet" isn't a possibility as well as a faster and more consistent focusing. For me, downsizing from my Nikon gear was a smooth transition and I haven't looked back.

ginkgo, we had a really great conversation with a local about why everyone seems to be hustling and bustling around town. He really put it into perspective to me...while I've been taking pictures of the same building for 20 minutes, he's just trying to get around me because he only has 10 to get to work. I will definitely remember to send you a message next time I'm in town. I did get to go to the brooklyn smorgasburg and was blown away by some of the foods there.
    Ginkgo and haraya like this.

Beautiful photos of a beautiful city...seeing NY is on my bucket list..I am in love with this city since I watched Beauty and the Beast ( with Ron Perlman as Vincent) when I was a kid. I would probably look into every drain with expectations...lol I really love this city...one day....

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by allen2oo3 View Post
    ginkgo, we had a really great conversation with a local about why everyone seems to be hustling and bustling around town. He really put it into perspective to me...while I've been taking pictures of the same building for 20 minutes, he's just trying to get around me because he only has 10 to get to work. I will definitely remember to send you a message next time I'm in town. I did get to go to the brooklyn smorgasburg and was blown away by some of the foods there.
    @allen2oo3 I wonder if you saw Frank II's post and linked video. (The discussion thread took place after you joined the forums, but you might not have read it).

Beautiful pictures. I particularly liked the view looking down with the lights up along Park Avenue (3rd pictures), and view of the Brooklyn Bridge against the nighttime skyline are always awesome. Was it too early for Christmas windows to be up around Rockefellar Center and in the department stores?

moriond

I agree with the others....Amazing pics. Truly stunning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0