Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree19Likes
  • 18 Post By Boolie
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Mr. Guide's Pack Goes to Washington

Mr. Guide's Pack Goes to Washington

In September I left my home in Portland for a week of hiking in Washington, split between Mount Rainier National Park and Olympic National Park. It was my first chance to hike with my new Guide's Pack & Tripod Quiver, as well as a bunch of new hiking clothes, including an Ibex hoody and coat I found out about thanks to the forum. The new gear worked out great, I'll be back in eleven years with a full review.

The Guide's Pack in Navy (and an Ibex hoody) in front of Mount Rainier on Flickr

Front view of the Guide's Pack as I helpfully pose for the monument I'm sure future generations will want to build in my honor on Flickr

Based on early impressions, I'd say the Guide's Pack is somewhat larger than an iPhone and somewhat smaller than Mount Rainier on Flickr

My 8.5 pound telephoto lens fits nicely in the flexible rucksack compartment on Flickr

The Guide's Pack and the Tripod Quiver at sunset on Rialto Beach on Flickr

I love it! Especially this astute observation:
    "Based on early impressions, I'd say the Guide's Pack is somewhat larger than an iPhone and somewhat smaller than Mount Rainier."

Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing. Though now I want a navy Guide's Pack and a green Ibex hoodie...

Great photos! Love your humor. And Rialto Beach is one of my favorite places.

Gorgeous photos! I'm so envious of the photographic skills of so many on this site. Maybe it's time to take a class...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Amazing photos!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Agree that these are great pictures and comments.

For anyone who wants to read up more details behind these pictures, here's @Boolie's blog article for Mr. Boolie Goes to Washington. (If I had found this earlier it would have saved me the effort of trying to run down the identification of the beautiful Ibex Sencha Green Men's Hooded Indie he was wearing).

If you haven't already read his 11-year old review of the ID Bag that was featured in the Tom Bihn blog, I also advise you to read it.

moriond
    Darcy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

For anyone who wants to read up more details behind these pictures, here's @Boolie's blog article for Mr. Boolie Goes to Washington. (If I had found this earlier it would have saved me the effort of trying to run down the identification of the beautiful Ibex Sencha Green Men's Hooded Indie he was wearing).

moriond
    I suppose a link to the longer blog post would have been helpful but I was afraid it would seem a little too self-promotional. I was trying out a bunch of new gear on this trip, which normally I wouldn't recommend for a trip of this length and with the elevation changes and rain, but it's how the timing worked out. I was surprised at how well all of the new stuff worked out, but even so the Hooded Indie was a favorite, and the Sencha Green color is sensational. Very colorful but still blends in nicely out on the trail. It's still available (and on sale) in Men's on the Web Specials of the Ibex site if anyone wants one, looks like the color is going away. I ordered two more (red and blue) when I got home and got a blue in Women's for my wife also.

I wasn't initially considering the Guide's Pack as for some reason I was thinking it was a much larger pack than it is, but I gave it a second look as the Smart Alec had sold out back then and after looking at the pictures and watching the video I realized my mistake. The internal frame intrigued me and I decided to give it a try and am very glad it did. The olive looked lovely and I very nearly ordered it but my loyalty switched to navy at the last moment, perhaps from watching Tom hike with his in the video that I watched, oh, more times than I'm ready to admit in public. The color and the parapack fabric work really well together, and the coyote plays nicely off it too.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0