Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree144Likes

Thread: Packing for 9 Days in Japan

Packing for 9 Days in Japan

A ultralight travel packing video I made for my nine days to Japan in 2014, using a Tom Bihn Co-Pilot for my tech gear and a Tom Bihn Synapse 19 for my clothes and toiletries.

@mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Dyneema A45, Navy A30, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy Co-Pilot, Navy DLBP, and Burnt Orange and Navy S19s (yes two).

Volunteer Moderator
    Very nice video and packing job with your Navy/Wasabi Co-Pilot and Navy/Ultraviolet Synapse 19 (I think these are the identifications). This reminded me of @Lani's post from two and a half years ago about packing her Dyneema Synapse for a trip to Japan (also with Eagle Creek Specter II packing cubes) in the My beautiful new SYNAPSE arrived today! I "practice packed" it for a two week trip! thread started by @LauraA.

Also love the details of the tech gear you packed into your Co-Pilot.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-22-2014 at 06:34 AM.
    mrbrown likes this.

Nice video! What is the yellow case that you used for the toiletries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post
    It looks to me like an Eagle Creek Specter Quick Trip toiletry bag. The one from like a year or two ago was a more yellowy orange than the one currently for sale, but the case in the video is orange.
    WenV likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It looks to me like an Eagle Creek Specter Quick Trip toiletry bag. The one from like a year or two ago was a more yellowy orange than the one currently for sale, but the case in the video is orange.
    There was an orange version of the Eagle Creek Specter line previously sold at REI as Tangerine, and presently apparently called Flame on the REI site, as mention in this old post quoted below with links:

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @dorayme I was interested to see that REi features the Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter cubes in Tangerine, although that's listed as being currently out of stock. They also list Strobe green and white/red as colors with photos coming soon. The main Eagle Creek site for the Pack-It Specter Cube sets still only shows the white option.
    That color has since become available from the main Eagle Creek site. There was also a color called Lemon Yellow that I believe is discontinued, but which you can get from BackCountry.com. (This link may last longer.)

However, the orange bag in the video doesn't look to me like the Quick Trip, since the Quick Trip never used black accents for the zippers and tape. We'll just have to ask.

moriond
    WenV likes this.

I guess I'm wrong as usual.

I'll just slink off to my lair now.
    Hollie likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    I guess I'm wrong as usual.

I'll just slink off to my lair now.
    @Badger The Eagle Creek Specter Quick Trip toiletry bag is a good suggestion, even if that wasn't the bag that appeared in the video, so the information is quite useful. I just don't know whether that is the bag used in the video, and can't provide a better identification. And I think you were also one of the first people to mention the new Specter line of Eagle Creek products (quite casually, in the middle of a post) back in early 2012, a couple of months before @Lani's post using the Specter cubes for her Synapse, so thanks for that.

I tried putting in the WF large cube and it's too big. What DOES fit, quite splendidly really, is the Eagle Creek 15" packing sleeve. Also, you guys will love this: the new ultra-lightweight Specter System. I think the regular-size Cube would work well in the SA. And it weighs one freakin' ounce!
    BTW, I notice that the Specter line added shoe sacs a little while ago. Not sure whether these might not be better in mesh versions. There aren't many reviews up, except for the older versions on eBags, which no longer stocks this product.

moriond

Thanks for the suggestions @Badger and @moriond. I will check out those links... 😃👍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post
    Hi. That yellow pouch is the Deuter Wash Bag Tour I. It's ultralight and handy because you can hang it up. It comes in two sizes. I have a blue one I sometimes use for my tech cables and plugs too.
    WenV likes this.
    @mrbrown on Twitter, happy owner of a Black Dyneema A45, Navy A30, Navy Tristar, Navy WF, Navy NFTD, Navy Co-Pilot, Navy DLBP, and Burnt Orange and Navy S19s (yes two).

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413902490.196488.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  347.0 KB

"Do you have any check-in luggage, sir?" asked the Singapore Airlines counter staff.

"No, ma'am. None at all," I said.

Freedom is traveling with a Synapse 19 and a Co-Pilot for 9 days in Japan.

Great video, thanks for sharing :)

Somewhat related to light packing but how often did you do laundry over the 9 days? I still haven't mastered light packing/laundry/etc., haha!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
    Hi. That yellow pouch is the Deuter Wash Bag Tour I. It's ultralight and handy because you can hang it up. It comes in two sizes. I have a blue one I sometimes use for my tech cables and plugs too.
    Just as a quick summary, the Deuter Wash Bag Tour I is about 80% of the size of the Specter Quick Trip @Badger linked, in the length and height directions, but it is also about half the scaled down width at 8x 21 x 6.5 cm (vs 10 x 4 x 5.5 in/ 25 x 10 x 14 cm for the Quick Trip)). which makes it well suited to the narrow side pockets of the Synapse.

moriond
    mrbrown likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Great video, thanks for sharing :)

Somewhat related to light packing but how often did you do laundry over the 9 days? I still haven't mastered light packing/laundry/etc., haha!
    Hi. Underwear and socks daily or every two days (my clothes are mostly quick-dry synthetic fabric or merino wool). Tops every two or three days, pants can be longer than that.

I have enough clothes to go for four days so in theory, one major laundry session mid-trip is also possible.
    Jeff A and nimikor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrown View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413902490.196488.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  347.0 KB

"Do you have any check-in luggage, sir?" asked the Singapore Airlines counter staff.

"No, ma'am. None at all," I said.

Freedom is traveling with a Synapse 19 and a Co-Pilot for 9 days in Japan.
    I love this post and others like it. I'm so impressed with peoples' stellar packing abilities and the help they give the rest of us on this site. I had the biggest smile when the customs agent looked at my (not full) A30 and asked where the rest of my luggage was when I traveled to London. I wonder if I'd prefer two tiny bags at 29 liters over one big bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I love this post and others like it. I'm so impressed with peoples' stellar packing abilities and the help they give the rest of us on this site. I had the biggest smile when the customs agent looked at my (not full) A30 and asked where the rest of my luggage was when I traveled to London. I wonder if I'd prefer two tiny bags at 29 liters over one big bag?
    I wondered the same thing. Because I could have used my Western Flyer alone or the A45. This trip was an experiment to see if carrying two small bags would work better than one big one.

So far I am liking it. I have the choice of using the S19 or the Co-Pilot as a day bag. And when I arrived at the hotel too early, I immediately left the S19 with the clothes inside at the concierge, shedding half the weight before dashing out for a walk.

For my next trip to France, I may try a larger bag alone.
    Last edited by mrbrown; 10-23-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0