Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Vecturist
  • 4 Post By Mr Doode
  • 2 Post By Ginkgo

Thread: Packing the A30 TLSS vs. the A45 TLSS

Packing the A30 TLSS vs. the A45 TLSS

So I ordered the A45 TLSS to see how much it would hold versus the A30 (special thanks to Paul at TB for helping with shipping). I posted my pics and review of packing and using the A30 TLSS here - Packing the A30 Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, take 2 I found it great for a 2-3 day trip, especially since I carry a backpack for traveling.

Both TLSS are steel (dark grey is my favorite color), so it might be a little hard to see the size difference in pic #2.

Name:  IMG_0488.JPG
Views: 608
Size:  102.3 KB
    Side by side

Name:  IMG_0490.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  95.7 KB
    A30 on top of A45 - the A45 is 2 inches longer and 1.2 inches wider and higher

Name:  IMG_0493.JPG
Views: 618
Size:  105.3 KB
    What I originally packed in the A30 - 4 tshirts, running bra, running shorts, sleep shorts, pair of socks (and underwear). That pretty much filled the A30.

Name:  IMG_0495.JPG
Views: 610
Size:  97.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0494.JPG
Views: 600
Size:  90.5 KB

That list packed in the A45. I could pretty much fit it all on one side and it filled about 75% of the A45. I tried packing the items both end on (shown) and length-wise (like a regular packing cube that I couldn't with the A30). Length-wise was a little better in taking up less space.

The A30 is 5L and the A45 is 9L. I wanted to see what else it could hold - to justify using the A45 for longer trips and possibly replace one of my traditional packing cubes.

I could get 4 more tshirts, (plus an additional bra and 4 pairs of underwear).
    Name:  IMG_0498.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  103.4 KB

The A45 packed but not completely stuffed.
    Name:  IMG_0497.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  113.3 KB

Bottomline - the A45 would be great as a packing cube for longer trips, especially when you travel with a backpack. Sadly both of my backpacks are non-TB items, however, the smaller of the 2 backpacks is very similar in overall shape to the Smart Alec (it's a little shorter and narrower) and the TLSS work great, particularly since a traditional rectangular packing cube can be awkward with the sloping front, and there is plenty of room left to fit other things around it.

Love it.

By any chance do you happen to know a rather tubby male so you could do this with 3xl shirts?

Because the only time I run is chasing a taco truck.

I just used the A45 TLSS for a brief weekend trip, carried inside a Smart Alec. I like it. I was traveling very light, so I did not fill it to capacity, but it fits very nicely into the Smart Alec. @Mr Doode, I think 3xl shirts should fit fine in the TLSS, depending on how many shirts you want to pack.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0