Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    Abbey and Sophie are the big black girls on each side.
    Gwin in the middle is......well,not really a pet.

I have tried to get a picture of my favorite pose they do,the "Inverted Newf" but they just look like big throw rugs thanks to my camera skills.

They can be a handful!
    Ya almost have a "push-me-newf-you" sorta thing going there. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
    Ya almost have a "push-me-newf-you" sorta thing going there. ;)
    There is no almost to it!
    They are big leaners.
    They like to lean against you near an unlocked door so you will go tumbleing out and down stairs and then they look up as if saying"What?"

Newf's are like a cross between a Clown and a Bear.They are just downright silly but in a loving,hairy,slobber filled way.

They also love to sit in your lap while driving,not so practical.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by AVService; 03-24-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added Picture

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    Aww, how sweet. :) How do you travel with your cat? We are going to be moving 11K miles and I am not sure how we should transport our kitties.
    Wow, that's quite a journey. :)

I guess the first question would be where are you traveling to/from? Many countries have quarantine restrictions, which means your pet may end up in a kennel for anywhere from 30 days to six months (yes, six months), even with fully documented health records, including a full history of rabies shots. For a traveler, that seems extreme, but countries do what they must to protect themselves from new diseases/infections that can be carried by animals. This can be incredibly stressful for an older animal, of course, so you'll want to research that and take it into consideration.

No matter where/how you're traveling, make sure you have documentation that shows your cat/dog is up to date on vaccinations and your current rabies tag. With a major move like you're doing, it would be a good idea for your vet to type up a lifetime history of vaccinations/etc, not only so you can show it to any potential quarantine officer, but also so you can present it to your new vet at your new home.

Beyond that: if you're moving 11K miles, then I'm going to assume it's a move that requires flights. Most airlines charge an extra pet fee for allowing the pet in the cabin; I think American (who I usually fly with my cat with) is up to $85 each way. (That being said, my cat carrier looks like a piece of luggage, not a carrier, and most people don't even realize I have a cat with me except when I get to security and I have to carry her through the metal detector.) Also, most airlines permit a maximum of 2 pets in-cabin per flight, which probably has to do with allergies more than anything.

The longest I've ever dealt with my cat on a flight is about 10 hours. Cats are easy to travel with because the smallest-sized animal carriers easily fit under an airline seat. Some airlines, such as Southwest, do not allow animals in-cabin; and some do not allow them on flights at all. Generally, most airlines require you to keep your pet in-carrier for the duration of the flight; I usually take my cat into the bathroom at least once or twice during the flight so see how she is doing and allow her to stretch and to calm her down a bit. (My cat becomes a prolific drooler when she is scared; during flights, the amount of drool she produces rivals that of Hooch of the "Turner & Hooch" movie.)

Also, cats, unlike dogs, cannot be easily taken for a short walk or understand if you take them out of their carrier that you want them to have a potty break, so be prepared with a blanket backup (or two) if they have an "accident". (There are absorbent square/rectangular liners available that make good carrier liners as well.)

If you're traveling with your pet in the car, make sure you take regular breaks for dogs, or with cats, that you have a small litter box available (you can buy a "disposable" litter box for about $3-5). My cat never can be tempted to eat or drink while traveling, but it is a good idea to keep water/food/treats handy.

How does your pet travel when you're taking them to the vet? If they yowl and cry in the car for the whole trip to the vet, imagine being accompanied by that for hours. :) Vets can prescribe a mild tranquilizer which may or may not be helpful for your pet.

A negative story about my cat while traveling: I was traveling home from a month's work assignment in California, and of course I had my cat with me. I had been seated in the airport at the gate area, across the aisle from an older woman and her husband for at least half an hour, when my cat let out a single meow. The woman suddenly recoiled in her seat and demanded of me, "Is there a cat in there?" I said yes. She then went on, her voice rising considerably in pitch in volume, about how "deathly allergic" she was to cats and how "that beast" better not be on her flight. (Now, I'm not doubting her allergies, but she had sat within five feet of my cat for at least half an hour already with zero signs of a problem.) Her husband gave me a sympathetic look and we compared tickets; fortunately, I'd picked a seat in the rear of the cabin, and they were far in the front. I removed myself (and my cat) from her immediate proximity and never heard another peep about it.

A positive story about my cat while traveling: when my Christmas breaks are particularly lengthy, I take my cat with me to my parents' home. On more than one occasion, I have seen children crying or throwing tantrums in the airport. In those cases, I ask the parent if the child is allergic to animals (very important) and if they are not, I offer to show the child my cat (in carrier only). I can guarantee you that the sight of a cat or a dog will immediate placate even the wildest of howling, crying children, and you will have some very grateful parents (and fellow passengers). :)

Oh, man, do I feel silly. You typed up a huge thing for me about traveling so far and I should have been 1k miles. :oops: (Michigan to Florida) Thanks for all you did, though. Wow, I really feel badly....
    Proud owner of; Ego (first run) in Black/Steel/Deep Blue; medium organizer pouches in cayenne and crimson; small organizer pouches in olive, pink and storm blue; mini organizer pouch in sapphire; quarter packing cube; ego strips in crimson, plum, blue glitter and sapphire.

I have a new cat and I figured I'd show a few pictures of him that show his approval of my Imago as a plaything. :) He's a silly little boy.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Aww! Congrats on the new kitty!
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quinn the blue-eyed wonder, he is such a boy! He's constantly running into things and he snores like you wouldn't believe. :)

I don't know why he sleeps like this.

Dopey Boy!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    ahh! I love the way he sleeps! So funny. Thanks for sharing those pictures!!
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Alicia, no worries... 1k or 10k, dealing with a pet while traveling takes special considerations either way. :) Good luck on your move!

Ok. Here's Pebbles!

this is SUCH a fun thread...one day I might get another buddy but for now I enjoy reading about and seeing such great stories and pics about your pals!!

Well, I may have another picture to add to this thread. We are going to "try" another dog tomorrow to go along with our pride and joy Georgia. Her name is Hope and she's a rescue. We are totally unsure if we can handle it but we think it will benefit Georgia. The foster group will take her back if it doesn't work but it's still nerve wrecking.

And this change is related to TB in a way. We use the Imago now to carry all of Georgia's stuff as I've posted in a few shots as she curls up on the ground when we eat on the patio of a resturant. I doubt we could dine out with two but if we do go out with both I'm not sure the Imago is big enough! Sometimes I roll a blanket and use the Imago to hold it and I don't think I could do that with two blankets! Oh no!! Meh - who am I kidding. Two blankets?? No place is going to stand for that!

So very nervous right now. Maybe I need to shop for a new laptop bag to settle me down ...

I have another note to add to my "traveling with pets" essay above: when you're traveling with your cat or dog in a carrier or in the car, and your transportation time is likely to be half an hour or more, or if your cat/dog gets nervous and has accidents in the car, it is worth buying a package of puppy training pads. They're like big, flat diapers but they're designed for pets, which makes them perfect for lining a carrier with - and that way if your pet has an accident, all you need to do is replace the liner.

I had to bid farewell to Rogue in June. :( Here is the new little kitty in my life, Kaylee, who - despite her calm demeanor in this picture - is a powerhouse of energy and enthusiasm. :) If you look in front of her she has a mouse... that is her favorite toy in the world, and she plays fetch with it with me!

Here is our latest dog. Her name is Hope and she was picked up off the streets after being attacked by some roaming dogs. No owner came forward to claim her so a local rescue group took her in. We saw her at Petsmart and decided to give her a try. We tend to regret the decision nearly every day - she's a handful for many reasons. Our biggest issue now is she barks at strangers on walks. We have to walk our dogs separately because Hope upsets Georgia when she barks and causes a fight which makes it worse. We're working on conditioning her to not bark at strangers with some chicken and training on walks.

We aren't sure what she is yet but we may get a DNA test. We think part pit or great dane and maybe weimeraner. She's 48 pounds at 9 months and we really hope no more growing will happen but her paws are huge.

This is our favorite picture of Hope because it shows how she appears to have nothing but rocks in her head. She seems to always be saying "what?" all the time.

Congrats about the new pup!

You are spot on about the training.

Victoria Stillwell from "It's me or the Dog" is casting episodes in the U.S.

If you live there, you could, if you wished, submit an application on her website.
    I hope I have not stepped out of acceptable boundaries by suggesting that.

I admire you and your family for taking on a new pup, especially one with history of violence around him.

I have not had the guts to take on the responsibility of a dog yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0