Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Coy-o-te & Coy-ote

Coy-o-te & Coy-ote

Just as the word has 2 commonly accepted pronunciations [kahy-oh-tee, kahy-oht], my Aeronaut 45 wears its' Coyote Ballistic quite differently in various lighting. Lighting impacting material and/or photos is obviously not a new phenomenon but I was quite surprised just how varied Coyote can be.

For color comparison photos withing the TB family I only have Steel and Iberian Dyneema, however I did find an extremely close match with a common kitchen ingredient: Dark Brown Sugar.

Below are pictures of the A45 under fluorescent lighting in my kitchen. The bag 'shimmered' a lot more here as the light bounced around the texture of the fabric.
    Name:  Ineffable_A45_Fluorescent1.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  234.7 KB

Still under the fluorescent light with (from Left to Right): Cocoa Powder, Dark Brown Sugar, Light Brown Sugar.
    Name:  Ineffable_A45_Fluorescent2.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  208.8 KB

In the bedroom with overhead incandescent lighting (and a bit of sunlight from a window across the room) the bag appears much more like a matte, dark khaki.
    Name:  Ineffable_A45_Incandescent1.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  165.2 KB

Same incandescent & natural lighting, ingredients in the same order as above:
    Name:  Ineffable_A45_Incandescent2.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  222.9 KB

Side by Side comparison of the chameleon fabric:
    Name:  Ineffable_A45_SideBySideCompare.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  74.2 KB

I absolutely love this color and it looks so very sleek with a black Pilot tagging alongside.

Cheers!
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

coyote looks sharp with the black. now, you can get a skookum black w coyote piping for the opposite effect!

Yes, I find the Coyote of all the (few) colours I've seen in person is the most variable in terms of what it looks like under various lighting conditions. I really like my Coyote mesh OP, and I love the Coyote webbing accents on bags like the Founder's Briefcase and the Guide's Pack, but I'm still so-so on the Coyote ballistic Night Flight I have. It looks like coffee or cocoa in some light (good), and mustardy in others (not so good), at least to my questionable eyes.

Perhaps the light in my current residence it too yellow. Will have to get the NFTD out in more day light to form a better opinion. Your post gives me hope that it's just the lighting.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I know what you mean @itsablur about the mustardy appearance and I've seen it primarily under the fluorescent lighting.

In fact, when I first opened the box @ work under extreme fluorescence I was a bit turned off - especially in direct contrast to the cardboard brown. Once I got it home and under the more natural light I fell in love.

However, after wearing it around the house over the past week (don't act like you all don't do it) I've really come to appreciate all of its' shades.
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Someone posted this image when I asked in another thread if coyote was mustardy. I liked what I saw.... not too much mustard. So,
    something Skookum this way comes.

Scheduled Delivery:
    Tuesday, 09/02/2014, By End of Day
    Last Location:
    Departed - Redmond, WA, United States, Tuesday, 08/26/2014

Name:  7580d1406308596-fotorequest-has-anybody-brain-bag-plum-photo-2.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  147.7 KB

Wow that Q looks really nice - added to the wishlist to sneak it's way into my next order.

I've never considered Coyote as an option but your pics may have changed my mind. Very nice!!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    I've never considered Coyote as an option but your pics may have changed my mind. Very nice!!
    You hear that @Darcy?? I'll take my commission in Iberian Key Straps and Coyote Q-Kits <3

@Jeff - Glad they provided you some insight, I'm sorry for any enabler-related-wallet-weight-loss

Literally JUST opened the box on my coyote A30. Not all what I expected. It's more of a gold color than anything. Going to sit on it for a few days, but so far, not my favorite.
    A45, A30 (on it's way!), LCB on it's way, MCB, SCB, SE, SA - as soon as there are more colors and in stock long enough for me to order!

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    Someone posted this image when I asked in another thread if coyote was mustardy. I liked what I saw.... not too much mustard. So,
    something Skookum this way comes.

Scheduled Delivery:
    Tuesday, 09/02/2014, By End of Day
    Last Location:
    Departed - Redmond, WA, United States, Tuesday, 08/26/2014

Name:  7580d1406308596-fotorequest-has-anybody-brain-bag-plum-photo-2.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  147.7 KB
    OOHH! pics PLEASE. i have my eye on a medium road duffle...

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    Will give it a try when it arrives. :o)

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    did you see this?

Quote Originally Posted by katphil View Post
    Literally JUST opened the box on my coyote A30. Not all what I expected. It's more of a gold color than anything. Going to sit on it for a few days, but so far, not my favorite.
    I think of Coyote as the color of tobacco, but it's not PC or healthy to name something after that substance. It's quite strong. Not my favorite either.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by katphil View Post
    It's more of a gold color than anything.
    It definitely has some gold tones. One of the first things I did was toss a few iberian goodies on top and I instantly thought of the NFL's 49ers early 90's uniforms. I think their gold is a few shades lighter than the bag but it's in the same family - especially in motion when the light bounces around the ballistic. In fact it's probably closer to this depiction of the Packers' throwback pants.

Definitely, but just not the sheen. In low light, it looks quite brown.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0