Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree26Likes
  • 19 Post By adalangdon
  • 5 Post By Rocks
  • 1 Post By adalangdon
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Indigo v Sapphire, Forest v Conifer

  1. #1
    Registered User adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    647

    Indigo v Sapphire, Forest v Conifer

    Just thought I would post a couple of colour comparison pics... because you can never have too many of those when you're buying stuff online.

    Indigo (cordura) v Sapphire (500d): Sapphire makes you go "ouch, INTENSE!", but Indigo is that x10, to the point of being a bit purple. It's darker and more saturated than Sapphire.

    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  126.3 KB

    Forest v Conifer: It's been said they are the same shade, but I think they're different. Forest has a blue tinge. Conifer is more of a straight green. I wouldn't claim my photo is 100% true-to-life, but it highlights the slightly yellow cast of Conifer that makes it a more natural and foliage-y green than Forest. It also doesn't "shimmer" like Forest since Cordura is a rough fabric. Because it's so green, Conifer is a very festive colour. It also looks great on the S19. I would tote my S19 around Christmas, although we don't have snow here. (We have heavy rain, though-- good enough for me!)

    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  117.3 KB

    Hope this will be of help to someone :)
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

  2. #2
    Registered User taminca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    726
    I like Forest, but you have made me really wish Conifer would make a return. Gorgeous! Thanks for posting the photos, @adalangdon.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

  3. #3
    Registered User adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    I like Forest, but you have made me really wish Conifer would make a return. Gorgeous! Thanks for posting the photos, @adalangdon.
    No problem! Am sorry that I can't provide better image quality; this is about as good as my iPhone 5c gets. Also sorry about the un-picturesque setting... I just realised that nearly all my photos feature a parquet floor.

    Sigh, I wish Conifer would reappear too (along with Pine, which sounds like another awesome green). I find it very therapeutic to look at :)
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

  4. #4
    Registered User Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    347
    I have a conifer Synapse too! So glad I chose that color.

    ETA a photo of a forest organizer pouch from a few years ago and a forest Q Kit. I love the turn forest took in this dye lot! It's brighter and bluer?
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  147.7 KB
    Last edited by Rocks; 08-27-2014 at 09:33 AM.

  5. #5
    Registered User adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I have a conifer Synapse too! So glad I chose that color.

    ETA a photo of a forest organizer pouch from a few years ago and a forest Q Kit. I love the turn forest took in this dye lot! It's brighter and bluer?
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  147.7 KB
    Interesting! Yes, my Forest Pilot is definitely a bit bluish. Maybe that's why I'm seeing a difference between Conifer and Forest-- my Pilot is from the current batch. Older batches of Forest could well have been nearly identical to Conifer?
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

  6. #6
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,826
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Just thought I would post a couple of colour comparison pics... because you can never have too many of those when you're buying stuff online.

    Indigo (cordura) v Sapphire (500d): Sapphire makes you go "ouch, INTENSE!", but Indigo is that x10, to the point of being a bit purple. It's darker and more saturated than Sapphire.

    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 411
Size:  126.3 KB
    @adalangdon That looks like a 500d Sapphire Cordura Small organizer pouch. Is it? (My Sapphire Cordura pouches, both 1000d and 500d, are several (meaning more than 5 or 6) years old. Just as with Crimson, the 500d and 1000d Cordura colors look slightly different to me, but I could be wrong with the identification.) I agree that Conifer and Forest don't appear to be the same green to me. And Hunter is a bluer green than Forest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I have a conifer Synapse too! So glad I chose that color.

    ETA a photo of a forest organizer pouch from a few years ago and a forest Q Kit. I love the turn forest took in this dye lot! It's brighter and bluer?
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  147.7 KB
    @Rocks I have the same medium organizer pouch in forest ballistic nylon and the same forest Q-kits. I agree the colors are different in the way you've shown.

  7. #7
    Registered User Ineffable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    DFWTX
    Posts
    72
    Oh my, I absolutely love the older shade of forest (or.. conifer). Definitely seems to be a truer green. If anyone needs to part with some glorious old green goodies let me know, I'd like to own anything in that shade =)
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

  8. #8
    Registered User adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @adalangdon That looks like a 500d Sapphire Cordura Small organizer pouch. Is it?
    Yes it is!
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

  9. #9
    Registered User adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
    Oh my, I absolutely love the older shade of forest (or.. conifer). Definitely seems to be a truer green. If anyone needs to part with some glorious old green goodies let me know, I'd like to own anything in that shade =)
    There are Conifer pouches floating about for sure. Shoot CS an email before you place your next order :)
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

  10. #10
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
    Oh my, I absolutely love the older shade of forest (or.. conifer). Definitely seems to be a truer green. If anyone needs to part with some glorious old green goodies let me know, I'd like to own anything in that shade =)
    I think the Size 4 Knitting Tool Pouch in Forest had the original Forest color, along with the medium Double Organizer Pouches released late this Spring. Maybe someone who has made recent purchases can post pictures of these? (I got this Knitting Tool Pouch at the end of last year, so I don't know whether the current colors hold fast to this.)

    moriond

  11. #11
    Registered User adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I think the Size 4 Knitting Tool Pouch in Forest had the original Forest color, along with the medium Double Organizer Pouches released late this Spring. Maybe someone who has made recent purchases can post pictures of these? (I got this Knitting Tool Pouch at the end of last year, so I don't know whether the current colors hold fast to this.)
    Hmm. I just fished out my KTP 4 and placed it on top of my Pilot for comparison. 'Fraid it's the same (bluish) colour; I got mine around June. (It was how I sampled the Forest colour, actually)
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

  12. #12
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,826
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Interesting! Yes, my Forest Pilot is definitely a bit bluish. Maybe that's why I'm seeing a difference between Conifer and Forest-- my Pilot is from the current batch. Older batches of Forest could well have been nearly identical to Conifer?
    @adalangdon I think I've previously referenced this Conifer love! thread started by @Rocks, but you can check the older images comparing Conifer and that Forest organizer pouch.

    If your size 4 KTP in Forest is also this more bluish color, then we're dealing with variations in the current dye lot. My KTP looks like the Forest of the Medium OP shown in the picture by @Rocks.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0