• 1 Post By Pokilani
  • 1 Post By Carl R.
  • 4 Post By Carl R.

Thread: Field Notebook in the Alaska Peninsula Wildlife Refuge

Field Notebook in the Alaska Peninsula Wildlife Refuge

Name:  DSCN7157.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  438.5 KB
    Field notebook and the tracks of a female coastal brown bear and her first-summer cub, and those of a sandhill crane, by the shores of Upper Ugashik Lake, Alaska Peninsula NWR.

Just got back from a week near the NE corner of Upper Ugashik. My wife Susan and I flew in by chartered float plane from King Salmon. Spent our days watching wildlife and sketching. Did not see any other human beings for the week. Except for occasional passing aircraft it is unlikely that there was anyone within 15 miles of us, and then only a few fishermen and guides. For more about our trip see here.

Name:  DSCN7091.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  299.0 KB
    Back near camp on the tundra above the lake, sketching a dragonfly found in the wrack line along the shore.
    Last edited by Carl R.; 08-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Help, mods!

Okay, mods, I need your help.

I see the title of this thread, but there are no posts. The first thing under the title is the Quick Reply box.

I want to read about the FJN in the wildlife refuge!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Okay, mods, I need your help.

I see the title of this thread, but there are no posts. The first thing under the title is the Quick Reply box.

I want to read about the FJN in the wildlife refuge!
    I submitted it, and it showed up after a while. I discovered that there was something wrong with the attached photos so I edited it and when I clicked to update, everything disappeared…

In the meanwhile, you can read about part of the trip here, though the photos with the notebook won't show up on my blog until Part II, which I hope to have up tomorrow.

Sorry guys, I approved Carl's first post; when he edited it, it went into moderation again. All should be well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Sorry guys, I approved Carl's first post; when he edited it, it went into moderation again. All should be well now.
    No need to be sorry, and thank you for identifying the problem and fixing it!

Holy moly, Carl's pictures are totally worth it.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl R. View Post
    Just got back from a week near the NE corner of Upper Ugashik. My wife Susan and I flew in by chartered float plane from King Salmon. Spent our days watching wildlife and sketching. Did not see any other human beings for the week. Except for occasional passing aircraft it is unlikely that there was anyone within 15 miles of us, and then only a few fishermen and guides. For more about our trip see here.
    "WOW!" does not convey my sense of wowness over your adventures. Thank you for the photos!

Thats my kind of Heaven....beautiful Alaska, nature, wildlife, my TB bags and no people....Bliss! Would have been a wee bit nervous though not to come too close to Mother Bear and Baby bear. :) the prints are so cute...

Can I love this post? Dragonflies are my favorite.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. We saw bears on this trip but not the momma and cub, unfortunately. We did get to follow their tracks for a good distance on the beach, and it was cute to see how the little one would wander away from mom a little to check out some "coolest thing ever" and then would quickly run back. When I was at Brooks Camp in Katmai National Park this June there was a female named Holly with a first-summer cub. It was charming how fascinated he(?) was by things that the normally business-like adult bears completely ignored. He wanted to chase every gull and sit and stare at every human, but mom had places to go and he had to keep up!

I felt fortunate to find that dragonfly, and in such good shape. It was all the more impressive in that it had been washed ashore in a fairly intense storm.

Btw, since I'm guessing that most reading this thread are into this kind of thing, the three best resources I know of for nature journaling, sketching, and observation are:

John Muir Laws The single best website I know of for all of the above, with all kinds of superb tutorial articles, videos, etc..

Field Notes on Science and Nature A book about the journals of professional naturalists, with essays by some of the greats. An inspiring and beautifully produced work.

What the Robin Knows: How Birds Reveal the Secrets of the Natural World Odd as it may sound, it's about learning how to track animals by way of bird calls (not so much songs). All that seemingly indecipherable low-level chatter can reveal a lot about what's going on around you. Recent research has demonstrated conclusively that other species of birds and mammals listen to bird calls, and not just others of the same species. They do this to better monitor what's going on around them. I know from experience that it really works. I mention this book because, at least for me, it's such a useful and inspiring example of just how much you can learn about the drama of the natural world by paying attention to something so seemingly trivial.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0