Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By ilikepie

Thread: Picture request - A30 cube vs A45

Picture request - A30 cube vs A45

Would anyone happen to have a picture that compares a fully packed large A45 cube to a large A30 cube? Thanks!

Hey @benhar,

I do not have any A30 cubes because I had plenty of A45 cubes to use between the two bags I now have. After reviewing the measurements of the two, they are nearly identical.

A45 Large Packing Cube: 13.8" x 13.8" x 5.9"
    A30 Large Packing Cube: 13.4" x 13.4" x 5.4"

You are losing .5" or less in each dimension, so the bags themselves are very similar in size. It's about 10% difference in capacity. I am able to use the A45 cubes in the A30 slightly under packed. You could surely go the other way as well (A30 cubes in an A45), but you will have more extra space all around the main compartment.

The End Pockets are a little more different between models though.

Hopefully someone else bought matching cubes and can visibly illustrate that differences.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Hey @benhar,

I do not have any A30 cubes because I had plenty of A45 cubes to use between the two bags I now have. After reviewing the measurements of the two, they are nearly identical.

A45 Large Packing Cube: 13.8" x 13.8" x 5.9"
    A30 Large Packing Cube: 13.4" x 13.4" x 5.4"

You are losing .5" or less in each dimension, so the bags themselves are very similar in size. It's about 10% difference in capacity. I am able to use the A45 cubes in the A30 slightly under packed. You could surely go the other way as well (A30 cubes in an A45), but you will have more extra space all around the main compartment.

The End Pockets are a little more different between models though.

Hopefully someone else bought matching cubes and can visibly illustrate that differences.
    Thanks! I read somewhere that TB changed the way they measured the dimensions on the A30 cubes, which made the numbers a little proportionally higher than those listed on the A45. So unless they've updated the A45 cube measurements since then, I was afraid comparing the numbers wouldn't be accurate. I was hoping to get a visual of the difference.

If you can't tell I'm back on the fence between buying an A30 now or waiting for the updated A45 :). I've decided I really don't want snap buttons, so it's a matter of patience vs extra space.

Quote Originally Posted by benhar View Post
    Thanks! I read somewhere that TB changed the way they measured the dimensions on the A30 cubes, which made the numbers a little proportionally higher than those listed on the A45. So unless they've updated the A45 cube measurements since then, I was afraid comparing the numbers wouldn't be accurate. I was hoping to get a visual of the difference.

If you can't tell I'm back on the fence between buying an A30 now or waiting for the updated A45 :). I've decided I really don't want snap buttons, so it's a matter of patience vs extra space.
    I recall reading that were changing how they were measuring capacity (i.e. by filling all bags with something like packing peanuts, then measuring the volume of what they were able to put in), but not necessarily how they were measuring dimensions. Height/width/depth shouldn't really change.

That said, it's a tough call between the A45 and A30. The bags are both very similar and very different because of the 33% size difference. That will really depend on your intended uses and packing style.

Personally, I think I find the button snaps easier to deal with than the zippers (I can detach and reattach the snaps one handed, but I need two hands to reattach the zipper), even if the zipper is a stronger hold. Conceptually the zippers seem like they would be heavier, but I can't prove that. Anyway, to me it's a pretty minor point; I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to resize the compartment in 18 months of use. The side pocket becoming zippered is a more useful functional change IMO, though I don't have a big problem with the current open pocket either.

If you think you need the extra space, and really value the changes vs. $40+ in your pocket, then just wait. I'd rather have an underfilled A45 than an overfilled A30.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

If I remember correctly and didn't dream this, they switched from packing peanuts to little pellets to be in line with an industry-standards protocol for volume measurements (ASTM F2153 - 07(2012) Standard Test Method for Measurement of Backpack Capacity is the link from the Aeronaut 45 page).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0