Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Ego comparison shots

Quote Originally Posted by Nolo View Post
    "In the big pocket under the flap I had miscellaneous cords, phone charger, memory card, and flash drive in a small DOP. A black, blue, and red pen and a pencil in the pen slots, gum in a pocket pouch, my Moleskin notebook, earbuds in a steel Q-Kit, and my Oh, @&$% Kit (size 1 Solar stuff sack)."

What is in your awesomely named "Oh, @&$% Kit"?
    It's a stuff sack (Solar so I don't lose it) that goes in whatever bag is accompanying me on my adventure that day. It has a pouch of essential girl product; a small tub of Nivea lotion; a small Altoids tin of Ibuprofen; a regular sized mint tin containing a binder clip, a paper clip, a small pad of sticky notes, an allergy pill, two spare contact lenses, a toothpick and tweezers from a Swiss Army Knife, Chapstick, a hair tie, finger nail clippers, and some cold meds; and last but definitely not least, a Tide To Go stick for good measure. These are all things I've needed before and didn't have, so I dubbed it the "Oh, @&$% Kit"

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    It's a stuff sack (Solar so I don't lose it) that goes in whatever bag is accompanying me on my adventure that day. It has a pouch of essential girl product; a small tub of Nivea lotion; a small Altoids tin of Ibuprofen; a regular sized mint tin containing a binder clip, a paper clip, a small pad of sticky notes, an allergy pill, two spare contact lenses, a toothpick and tweezers from a Swiss Army Knife, Chapstick, a hair tie, finger nail clippers, and some cold meds; and last but definitely not least, a Tide To Go stick for good measure. These are all things I've needed before and didn't have, so I dubbed it the "Oh, @&$% Kit"
    Thanks for the list! I've recently been caught w/o important things when out with my children so I'm working on my own version of the "Oh, @&$% Kit." The solar stuff sack is a great way of keeping it all organized. I haven an iberian one of the same size so I may give that one a go. Thanks again for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolo View Post
    Thanks for the list! I've recently been caught w/o important things when out with my children so I'm working on my own version of the "Oh, @&$% Kit." The solar stuff sack is a great way of keeping it all organized. I haven an iberian one of the same size so I may give that one a go. Thanks again for sharing.
    No problem! I also try to keep some Wet Ones wipes with me since I can be like a child and spill things ALL THE TIME, but those get left behind sometimes. Oops.

great pics again, moosezilla. thanks. how does a SE fit into this bag? does it fit under the flap?

It's actually a lot more comfortable than I had originally thought and it's super convenient to be able to adjust it in a split second instead of fiddling with it like I would with the absolute strap.
    Thanks @Moosezilla for your great review and those photos. I really fond of the Olive (420d?) Strip. That's really something.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the Q-AM Shoulder Strap. I'd been eyeing the Strap for the past few days (My wish list for "someday) as I felt it is a better alternative to my Pilot's Standard Strap. I normally and prefer carry in Cross-Body Style, way up - up to my chest height. Can I assumed like a Biker? (I don't bike hence my assumption through photos).

My question is does the Q-AM easily allow one to adjust the Bag to the shortest onto my chest? Standard Strap allow to, but a bit difficulty as the padding got in the way.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

ok @moosezilla, now that you have had the ego for a bit--any new news for us about its awesomeness??

So I couldn't help it and ended up getting an Ego as well, with Plum and Burnt Orange stripes. I hope these pics will help people like myself who were wondering if they would look ridic with a bag this big.

Verdict? I think it's a great bag that can be carried by smaller folks with the QAM strap done up properly. I'm 115#, 5'3". Main compartment had my SE and two books that are 1000+ pages each. Flap compartment had my EDC pouches, 3 pens, wallet, and coin wallet. (To answer @luvdabags' question, yes, an SE can fit in the flap compartment.) In other words, it was pretty heavy, but not very bulky. I highly recommend the QAM strap as you can carry the bag high on your back, which will both lessen shoulder strain and, for the smaller people, make the bag look smaller. And while it's kinda troublesome, you can switch shoulders with the QAM strap. I haven't loaded it up with my usual school stuff yet, but I did do a test pack with a horizontal 4Z Cache and found that it sucked up a lot of space in the main compartment. The space in the main compartment all comes out without my Cache, though. (Yeah, I cannot wait to get a smaller lappy!) Will post a school-day load photo soon.

FYI Ego owners, if you're looking for a new stripe, Hannah says they have a few camo ones lying about. (Can't wait to get mine. Love camo! And if you have colourful stripes that you don't want, let me know! Missed the boat on the Cayenne one... le sigh.)

Looks massive like this:
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  87.3 KB

Looks big because photo was taken from below.
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  90.5 KB

But it generally looks okay when strapped up properly.
    Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  71.7 KB
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-12-2014 at 04:29 AM.

So I was actually able to cram the contents of my daily school load (S25 and SCB) into an Ego. I moved most of my essentials from the SCB into an Olive SE w/ wrist strap, and the other stuff that didn't fit (MDOP and pocket planner) went into the front flap area of the Ego. My other essentials kit (eyemask, gastric medication, female sanitation etc.), a Steel SE, went into the front as well. My 13" laptop has a way of eating up space in the zippered compartment, so I couldn't just dump everything in mindlessly as I am wont to do. In the end, the zippered compartment held my lappy, Snake Charmer, Large DOP (documents), and YSS (coloured pens and highlighters). There was some space leftover (see pics) but the total weight came up to ~20#. It's definitely doable with the QAM and stabiliser. Walked up a steep slope today with this load and felt okay. Appearance-wise, it's just a puffier version of what's in the above photos. Hope this will be of help to someone out there, someday :)

Front pocket. Contains pocket planner, 2 SEs, sunnies in a case, pencil case, stationery small mesh pouch, Q-kit with thumbdrive, ipod touch, etc., and MDOP.
    Attachment 8484

Front left zip pocket. Contains 7.5" long dental kit pouch (I'm on Invisalign, meh!)
    Attachment 8485

Front pocket. Holds 2 Carmen's bars. (No Larabars at our supermarkets here, sorry!)
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  129.8 KB

Front right zip pocket. Just house keys on a 16" (so that I can unlock the door without lifting up my bag!) and car remote key on a regular black 8".
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  120.3 KB

Zippered compartment. Has deadweight 13" lappy in a too-big case, large DOP containing loose paper and an Exacompta journal for class note-taking, Snake Charmer with deadweight adapter and mouse, and way too many coloured pens and highlighters in a YSS. There's space on top for a thin cardigan, etc.
    Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  134.0 KB
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-13-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    tpnl and Kay like this.

I also found a "hack" for changing the stripe...I dunno...maybe this is how it's supposed to be done, but I just dove right in since there weren't any directions provided.
    This is a great concept. I'm just gonna add my really n00b observations from having used my Ego for several trips around town.

Stripe changing using @Moosezilla's idea
    - Instead of using another stripe as the layer between the new stripe and the sticky base, I used a smooth, long ruler. Over here, flat (i.e. no bevel) 12" long plastic rulers that are roughly 1.3" wide are really common so I used that and had a very easy time with installation due to reduced friction.
    -I also used the same ruler to separate the old stripe from the sticky base by shoving it between the stripe and base and moving it from side to side to detach the stripe, then yanking it out. It's worked quite well.

Packing and hauling thoughts
    - Generally, I would *love* to hear packing and carrying suggestions for carrying heavy loads cross-body. My dad has a permanently damaged shoulder from years of carrying cartons of milk and juice from the supermarket with his left arm, so that has left me very cautious. I switch sides everyday when using my Ego, in fact.
    - I wear mine almost the way bike couriers wear their bags, so it rides quite high. I've found that packing the main compartment with the heavy and bulky stuff is very helpful in such a situation. The heavy stuff stays close to my back that way. I used to carry my power cords (in a SE) in the flap pocket, but that's all in the zip compartment now and it's helped me a lot. I don't feel like something from behind is pulling me to the ground...
    - The main compartment is very spacious when the front isn't stuffed to the gills. I used to pack the front first, which resulted in vastly reduced space inside. Bad idea! The back compartment can actually hold a lot of bulky stuff-- yesterday I shoved a large loaf of bread, a big tub of yogurt, etc. inside in addition to a massive textbook that was already there.
    - I've gone back to using my old laptop case for now, i.e. no Cache for me until the 6Z arrives in a few weeks' time. So that lets me pack the stuff in my SEs (cords, other stuff) and a heavy paper notebook against the back (i.e. foam padded) wall of my Ego so that the bag will conform more to my back. My laptop goes in front of those things. It's comfier that way.
    - The Absolute Strap is super comfy, but the QAM is invaluable if you want to carry heavy loads sustainably and run (literally) about! Can't live without mine.
    - BTW, have reduced my load since my previous post by jettisoning heavy non-essentials (classes are fun enough that I need not write notes using 30 highlighters and coloured pens to stay awake...)

Hope this (and future follow-ups from fellow Ego users?) helps fill the info gap on how to haul big loads comfortably and healthily in TB messengers.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 09-17-2014 at 11:41 PM.
    WenV likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0