Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By weirdguy
  • 1 Post By meekasmom
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 2 Post By tpnl

Thread: Video: 15.6 Laptop in Pilot

Video: 15.6 Laptop in Pilot

Hello all,

Inspired by @itsablur's video and many others videos/photos in TB Forum.
    [I intend to do another video on other issue/subject related to Pilot, in addition to @itsablur's recent video collection]

I wish to share my self-made video (my first online video) of how 15.6" Laptop could fit in a Pilot - Dyneema.
    Argh! I couldn't believe how TB has been changing my routine/lifestyle/life for the past few weeks.

Hope my video could help out to clarify further.
    Good luck and all the best, everyone.

Quoted from my Video's Description @Youtube. Lazy to retype/rephrase.
    This is my first self-made online video. Please do not judge me.
    I realize that I could have uploaded a 1080 HD version, but I forgot to turn to FHD during video shot! Adui!

This video took with Nokia Lumia 1020 at 720P and edited using Movie Moments (Windows Phone App by Microsoft. Each video (First/Second Half) are joined with Movie Maker (Windows).

This is a not a review of Tom Bihn's Pilot but a personal opinion on Tom Bihn's Pilot - a Messenger Bag - whether it could easily fit a 15.6" Laptop and roughly how it was carried (loaded with the Laptop).

For full description of the Bag, visit Tom Bihn's Official Website Travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. The best materials and innovative construction since 1972 - TomBihn.com or Pilot - Personal Item Travel Bag Made in USA - TOM BIHN

A few note of my Pilot,
    I received my new bag on early August 2014.
    400d Steel Dyneema/Steel Lining

--------

The first half of the video showed how a naked 15.6" Laptop could fit in my Pilot. While, the second half showed how I carried the loaded Pilot and also, the unzip-zip during carrying.

The Laptop in the Video is a 15.6" Dell Precision M4600 Mobile Workstation.
    Dimension (PC) : 14.8" x 10.08" x 1.29" / 376 x 256 x 36.8 mm 2.8kg
    Dimension (Bag): 15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1" / 390 x 290 x 130 mm 0.48kg
    Dimension (Me) : 31Waist x 5'4" (170cm) 68kg
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

I use a 13 inch macbook pro and it fits barely with the TB cache, but I wouldn't even try a 15"+ in a cache. IMHO that would be too big for the pilot. And you will be continually stretching your back pocket.
    Last edited by meekasmom; 08-13-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    I use a 13 inch macbook pro and it fits barely with the TB cache, but I wouldn't even try a 15"+ in a cache. IMHO that would be too big for the pilot. And you will be continually stretching your back pocket in a not good way, wouldn't you?
    I'd agree here. The only Cache that could fit that laptop is a size 1 (which barely fits). A Size 1 Cache is already over half an inch wider than the Pilot is, and would make ingress/egress from the bag pretty tough. Even with dyneema's extra give, I think that could be tough. It very well might work, but you could probably also find a lower profile laptop sleeve if you were ok giving up the Rails usage.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

... thanks @weirdguy for confirming things. Excellent first video - I especially like that extra carry method feature review at the end!
    ... so back to the original question posted on another thread - is a larger Pilot needed? ... Yes! :) - if you lug around a 15.6" laptop (the size most companies give to employees to use as power machines) and want to use a Pilot instead of a Cadet or Zephyr (my current work briefcase).

IMHO, with a smaller sleeve (my 15.6 will fit in a 4z cache if needed based on an earlier poster's pic / video), it would be able to be shoehorned in but getting past the zippers seems to be where there might be more wear and tear - not recommended but perhaps doable in an emergency.

Thanks again.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-13-2014 at 08:13 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Thanks @tpnl,

True. Hence, I would vote 'yes' for a slightly larger Pilot.
    Thanks @meekasmom & @itsablur for your additional input. I will try to look for a cheap cache-alike to experiment. Not sure when though.

That's interesting @tpnl.
    Will try to search for the picture/video.
    Sometimes, I wouldn't need a fully zipped up cache to slide into my Pilot - a shoehorned could be sufficient. But again, sometimes only - not recommended.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-13-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0