Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Picts of WF in Black Dyneema/UV?

Picts of WF in Black Dyneema/UV?

Has anyone taken the plunge? I would love to see pictures of this bag. NWhikergirl, did you go back for it?

Even though I was seriously tempted and wanted to bring it home, I could not justify it, since it is the same volume as my Black dyneema wasabi Smart Alec. I loved the color combination of black dyneema and UV though!
    Abby likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Has anyone taken the plunge? I would love to see pictures of this bag. NWhikergirl, did you go back for it?
    @Pokilani Considering the previous posts by @jannilee about the lack of Dyneema Western Flyers, and her enthusiastic initiation of the Western Flyer is Baaaack! thread along with the immediate "Large order submitted" note, I think it's a fair bet that she will have this bag. Not sure how long it would take her to receive it (in Canada) and whether she could post some pictures of same, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Even though I was seriously tempted and wanted to bring it home, I could not justify it, since it is the same volume as my Black dyneema wasabi Smart Alec. I loved the color combination of black dyneema and UV though!
    @NWhikergal The form factor, layout, and organization of the Western Flyer is so different from the Smart Alec that I would never think about not being able to justify it because the two bags had the same volume. Also, I can imagine boarding a flight with the WF, especially in the more compactable Dyneema, sneaking in as a "personal item", especially carried attache or messenger bag style, but there's no way I would think of a Smart Alec that way. (Not meaning to tempt you unfairly about this, but simply ruling out bags because they have similar capacities, as opposed to arguments about form and function, doesn't seem like a compelling argument to me.)

moriond

The black dyneema/UV factor is a pretty strong motivation for justifying a purchase, in my book. It's a stunning combination.

Yes, indeed, it has arrived followed closely by a black dyneema/wasabi copilot. I will post pictures in the next couple of days. I also want to do a test pack to figure out carry weight.

The dyneema wf came black into stock while I was vacationing in the wilds of Quebec at a lake with no electricity and no connectivity. We just happened to drive the 5 miles or so out to the "sweet spot"', a pull off where there is reliable, tho' weak cell service. I let out the traditional squeeeee! And put in my order immediately.
    Last edited by jannilee; 08-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The form factor, layout, and organization of the Western Flyer is so different from the Smart Alec that I would never think about not being able to justify it because the two bags had the same volume. Also, I can imagine boarding a flight with the WF, especially in the more compactable Dyneema, sneaking in as a "personal item", especially carried attache or messenger bag style, but there's no way I would think of a Smart Alec that way.
    @moriond, I have been waiting for someone like you to help me find a good justification, so I do appreciate your thoughts on the matter! I am curious if anyone knows of a photo with a packed Smart Alec together with a WF to illustrate the size difference. The WF seems more slender, and I will admit that it seemed to fit perfectly when I tried one on. I mainly travel with an iPad mini rather than a laptop, so transporting a laptop is less of a consideration (one reason I did not initially consider the WF).

ETA: I did recently console myself (for not getting the WF) by scooping up a French Blue MCB, and I am extremely taken with it so far.

ETA2: I found a couple of really good comparison photos of the WF next to a Smart Alec from approx 2009 in the Flickr photos on the last page (poster is notmensa) from this discussion link:

Smart Alec & Western Flyer in Melbourne, AU
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 08-12-2014 at 02:29 PM.

I have never carried a laptop in my wf. I like being able to organize by sections rather than lumping everything together.

I have to say, I just love everyone on this forum! I missed out on the black dyneema/UV MCB and it pains me that I didn't pick one up when I saw it.

I own both a Smart Alec and a Western Flyer, and I was still pretty tempted by the Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet Western Flyer I saw when I visited the store yesterday. But I also decided that an Aeronaut 45 is in my future, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for that being made in Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet.

As for Smart Alec vs. Western Flyer, if a photo hasn't been found/taken by the time I get around to it, I can provide one - there's a good chance I'll be using both bags for a trip I leave for on Thursday. The main difference for me is the Western Flyer has better organization as being a travel bag (clothes, shoes, toiletries) while the Smart Alec is more comfortable for carrying heavier things for longer periods.

My new Black dyneema/uv Western Flyer

Okay, so i did a test pack of my new black dyneema/uv Western flyer. This is a picture of it all packed with the water bottle pocket pulled out to show the uv lining.
    Name:  dyneema wf.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  204.3 KB
    And this is a top view. The part where the zipper is closed contains the copilot.
    Name:  WF packed.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  276.3 KB
    And these are the packing cubes that went into it.
    Name:  wf packing pic.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  184.2 KB

The packing cube shoulder bag contains:
    2 pairs travex pants
    1 dress
    1 long sleeved shirt.

the tristar small packing cube contains:
    3 linen t shirts
    1 pr pj's
    1 bra
    1 bathing suit

The white spectre quarter cube contains 3pr undies

The green spectre cube contains meds and dry cosmetics

hidden in the copilot is a uv organizer cube containing tech stuff:
    camera
    cell phone
    q-kit with cell phone charger,cord and camera battery charger. ( If I needed a plug adapter or if I took my iPad, the q-kit would not be big enough)
    earbuds.

With all that, but not including the copilot ( an afterthought to fill an empty section) the whole rig weighed 10 lb! so allowing 2 pounds for the not necessary bits I would be all packed at under 12lb with lots of room for souvenirs. Yaaayyy Dyneeeeemmmaaaaa!!

The lighting was not particularly great today so i may try again tomorrow to get some better pics.

Great packing photos, @ Jannilee! My resolve broke today, and I picked up one too. I don't have time to test pack it, since I have to prepare for a different trip tomorrow, but here are a few empty photos for folks interested in the black dyneema/uv color combo. Plus the gratuitous cat photo. I love how compact it is, and I cannot wait to try it out!

Name:  WF 1.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  85.3 KBName:  WF 2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  149.0 KBName:  WF 3.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  138.8 KBName:  WF 4.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  182.4 KBName:  WF 5.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  140.5 KB

It's just beautiful, NWhikergal. I'm glad you treated yourself...and that it was still in stock! For those of you who are petite, NWhikergal is also and the WF fits her very well!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

This bag is so gorgeous - like a souped up super Pilot - wish the no strap version were in stock too!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    It's just beautiful, NWhikergal. I'm glad you treated yourself...and that it was still in stock! For those of you who are petite, NWhikergal is also and the WF fits her very well!
    +1 on both the compliment on the bag and how glad I am that you went back for it, @NWhikergal!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Gorgeous!!! Thank you both for the pictures. I am UV with envy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0