Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree19Likes
  • 14 Post By tdivcr
  • 2 Post By eekim
  • 1 Post By tdivcr
  • 1 Post By shoplarry
  • 1 Post By itsablur

Thread: Synapse 19: day hike and camera bag

Synapse 19: day hike and camera bag

I was inspired by Eugene Kim's YouTube video on converting the medium Cafe Bag to a camera bag. I bought the same insert, and it works really well in my Synapse 19 (pre-25 version). Here are a couple of photos of my S19 and its contents from a recent jaunt through a patch of Costa Rican dry forest:

Name:  P8010600Bihn Guanacaste.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  327.0 KB

Name:  P8010610Bihn Guanacaste.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  311.4 KB

The camera insert is inexpensive ($20 on Amazon, if I remember correctly), and it fits square into the S19's main compartment. On this particular day, I put it on top of a spare t-shirt and a pack towel because I wanted quicker access to the lenses.

Not shown is my camera, an Olympus OM-D M-5 and the kit lens, which I used to take the photo. All equipment is reasonably well protected in the insert and the S19. I can get at it reasonably quickly, but I haven't used other camera backpacks to compare.

I've also used this setup as an in-flight bag when I took along my camera. I was typically able to fit an iPad, a light fleet jacket, and some snacks on top of the insert. It was a snug fit, but there always seemed to be room for one more thing.

And below, the S19 up against one of the thornier inhabitants of the tropical dry forest.

Name:  P8010622Bihn Guanacaste.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  230.8 KB
    Last edited by tdivcr; 08-11-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Great pictures, tdivcr! And helpful information. Thanks for sharing!
    On an Epic Quest for the Perfect Bag...

One Bag to rule them all, One Bag to find them,
    One Bag to carry them all and in the aircraft bind them...

Thank you so much for posting, tdivcr! I'm so happy that my video was useful and that you're happy with the setup. (I love both my OM-D E-M5 and my Synapse 19!) It was also incredibly cool to see your pictures in Costa Rica. :-) Thanks again!
    moriond and Hawaii like this.

I love the navy s19 solar combo. Should have bought it when it was available. Hopefully, they will offer the navy with again other than with ultraviolet.

I love how photogenic TB bags are--especially out and about!

Which camera insert are you using? I'm planning on doing the same for my S25 and I have a Sony NEX 5 camera.
    Last edited by chrisc983; 08-13-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Thanks to you for the idea, eekim. Even after a year I am still learning about the OM-D E-M5. I really need to use it more. It's a great camera.

I also bought a large Cafe Bag to use with the insert for less demanding conditions. The insert fits well, but I haven't really tried it that much yet.

Chrisc983, the insert is the Express Insert for Micro Four Third / Mirrorless Camera - Exp 4.0 by Camaroo. $20 on Amazon.

Amazon.com : Express Insert for Micro Four Third / Mirrorless Camera - Exp 4.0 : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo

The quality is decent, nothing spectacular, but it does provide protection, especially inside another bag. The top is detachable as are the inner dividers. I found that the top occasionally is a pain to replace while in the bag, but I imagine only slightly more difficult than hinged lids. I also looked at Crumpler inserts that have a drawstring closure for the top, but the tops are not padded.

They may have larger sizes better suited to the S25. Them again, the NEX 5 should fit fine with some accessories with plenty of space left over in the S25.

I've been using this eagle creek medium ecube for my Olympus OM-D EM-10 and it carries the body, 25mm attached and a second lens. It has a zip top which I leave open and it fits easily in the bottom pocket of the synapse 25 http://shop.eaglecreek.com/packit-sp...ecube-m/d/1403. I wish tom bihn made something this shape for cameras
    Last edited by shoplarry; 08-14-2014 at 08:13 AM.

I use this Ape Case for my E-M1 with the 12-40mm Pro. It can also fit the Panasonic 25mm f1.4 and another lens (either the Olympus 12mm f2, or a Panny 7-14 f4) in the case to either side of the lens+body. The level of protection is sufficient IMO to survive a modest knocking around in a bag, and I can fit it in as small a bag as the Co-Pilot, or drop it into any of my other bags without an issue.

Amazon.com : Ape Case Cubeze Interior Case for Cameras - Black/Yellow (ACQB33) : Camera Insert : Camera & Photo

Seeing the padded camera insert for the Night Flight, maybe we aren't far off from something from Tom. The Ape Case I have, and the Crumpler Haven are like padded out, rectangular Travel Trays when you think about it. Hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge. :)
    Last edited by itsablur; 08-14-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I use the small EC Ecube for my small camera. SuffIcient protection IMHO. No straps dangling anywhere.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Too many options! And I just found another one that looks promising, Tenba 636-222 BYOB 9 Camera Insert (Black) by Tenba http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KT7GJGS/..._biq7tb07ZM9QP

I think TB needs to come out with one like they did for the BB.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    I think TB needs to come out with one like they did for the BB.
    Camera I/O Mini? I'm in!
    kkintea likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.