Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: A Tale of Two Aeronauts (or my Video Review of the A30, compared to the A45)

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    Hah! I managed to resist.....*cough* ....

...as long as we consider ordering a new Brain Bag "resisting"!
    Tom Bihn = The Borg?
    weirdguy and RobNC like this.
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
    Tom Bihn = The Borg?
    Close enough!

Can I get that Borg (packing) cube in Navy/Solar?

On another note, I'm sure glad itsablur doesn't have any other bags to make wonderful videos of! If he had a Western Flyer, I'd never find my way out of the anticipation thread.

Itsablur, I was surprised you didn't comment on the ease of open of the zippers. Do you find them to be different? I noticed you could use just one hand to open the A45, but you used two on the A30. I definitely have to use two hands to open/close them. I don't mind that for packing/unpacking, but expect it to be tough if I want to quickly get something out of the bag, or have to reach down under the seat in front of me on an airplane. The good thing about that is it will likely be really hard for someone to try to sneak into my bag and steal something from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Itsablur, I was surprised you didn't comment on the ease of open of the zippers. Do you find them to be different? I noticed you could use just one hand to open the A45, but you used two on the A30. I definitely have to use two hands to open/close them. I don't mind that for packing/unpacking, but expect it to be tough if I want to quickly get something out of the bag, or have to reach down under the seat in front of me on an airplane. The good thing about that is it will likely be really hard for someone to try to sneak into my bag and steal something from me.
    I feel like both my A45 and Co-Pilot were both tough to open when I first got them, and they both have the rubber up zippers. It should loosen up a little bit over time and use. At least that's my hope.

Opening the A45 one handed wasn't super easy; I did use my other fingers to brace the bag so I could pull the zipper bit by bit. I really used two hands on the A30 because I could set my tripod up after removing it from the A45... :)
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by benhar View Post
    Thanks for the review! Which of the two do you think would be better for 3-4 day car trips (and occasional longer)? A normal trip for me fills two medium Tr-Star cubes and two #2 stuff sacks (not counting toiletry bag), but am looking for something that holds a little more than that.
    How full is your Tri-Star? The A30 is technically 10% smaller, even though the flexible arrangement may give you more useable space depending on how you pack. On paper though, only the A45 will actually give you more room.

So far I've used my A45 for trips up to 20 days, and as short as a weekend. I've got a 3-5 week trip planned for next year which will better push the bag. And test my packing mettle...
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

THANK YOU for mentioning your height and weight. in a lot of reviews, i have trouble figuring out if it would fit my small frame(for general male) and always ask in these reviews. also a huge plus that you wore them. :D
    itsablur and RobNC like this.
    Currently Owning: Synapse19[Black Codura/Wasabi] - Accessories

Close enough!

Can I get that Borg (packing) cube in Navy/Solar?

On another note, I'm sure glad itsablur doesn't have any other bags to make wonderful videos of! If he had a Western Flyer, I'd never find my way out of the anticipation thread.

Well, now that you mention it...

Kidding!

I did strongly consider the Night Flight, but passed because I didn't think it would work as a camera bag, and without that I think the Pilot would be better for me.

Other than various sacks, pouches, and cubes, I only currently have a Side Effect that just arrived. Not sure how that will work for me. Man clutch? Are those still on trend?

Are there other things you could use enabling on? ;)

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    That was just great, @itsablur! Thanks for making it. I really like these home-made, "non-professional" videos because the speed is a little more relaxed, and as a viewer, it is easier to see what is being packed or unpacked.

I have both bags and did not notice half of the differences you pointed out! Since I am short, the A30 is what I expect to be my trip bag whenever possible. It replaced my Western Flyer. I like the A45 for when I have more stuff and don't want to take the roller bag. Both are aubergine/wasabi :)
    Hmm, the A30 replaced your WF... This is what I was afraid of! I love my WF but I do think a single larger compartment would provide better flexibility for some trips.

Will NOT order an A30 unless and until it becomes available in navy! Must exert some self-discipline! :)

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Are there other things you could use enabling on? ;)
    Are you kidding me? I'm still struggling with the Pilot. I caught myself looking at your video again, trying to figure out how to justify it.

And I agree, JLE. I don't have a WF or a Tri-Star, but my Patagonia MLC has many of the same packing characteristics, and I greatly prefer my Aeronaut 45. I love flexibility in a bag, and I thought the WF/TS didn't offer as many options in packing styles/approaches. Plus, I had some great input from folks here and pics provided by itsablur that helped me decide.

I'm a big fan of nested bag travel. I like to go through airports with a single bag, then have another bag for EDC at my destination. This is how I'm trying to justify a pilot. I wonder if I can fit it in a Brain Bag? Then I could use it with the BB for shorter trips, and the A45 for longer trips.

Argghh..I need to get this under control!

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    Hmm, the A30 replaced your WF... This is what I was afraid of! I love my WF but I do think a single larger compartment would provide better flexibility for some trips.

Will NOT order an A30 unless and until it becomes available in navy! Must exert some self-discipline! :)
    It's really a personal choice. I miss the Western Flyer, because it was so undeniably tiny for the eyes of the gate agents. Also, mine was Nordic :) But the open interior space of a duffel-type bag happens to work better for me.
    kkintea and RobNC like this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I'm a big fan of nested bag travel. I like to go through airports with a single bag, then have another bag for EDC at my destination. This is how I'm trying to justify a pilot. I wonder if I can fit it in a Brain Bag? Then I could use it with the BB for shorter trips, and the A45 for longer trips.

Argghh..I need to get this under control!
    Lol, I heard you and been in your position before.

If you do not mind waiting for another week (actually, about 4days more), I should receive my Pilot and a new Brain Bag (my friend joined my order). I will be glad to post a few photo to help you out whether the Brain Bag could swallow a Pilot or not - both empty and loaded.

Of course, I also appreciate anyone to post up a few photos before me. This is a forum, everyone could join/butt in - I definitely wouldn't mind :D
    RobNC likes this.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    It's really a personal choice. I miss the Western Flyer, because it was so undeniably tiny for the eyes of the gate agents. Also, mine was Nordic :) But the open interior space of a duffel-type bag happens to work better for me.
    I'm hoping the A30 makes my A45 look smaller! I'll let wifey go first to pass a gate agent, and since the bags look nearly identical, hopefully they'll just pass both. :p

Are you kidding me? I'm still struggling with the Pilot. I caught myself looking at your video again, trying to figure out how to justify it.

And I agree, JLE. I don't have a WF or a Tri-Star, but my Patagonia MLC has many of the same packing characteristics, and I greatly prefer my Aeronaut 45. I love flexibility in a bag, and I thought the WF/TS didn't offer as many options in packing styles/approaches. Plus, I had some great input from folks here and pics provided by itsablur that helped me decide.

I've had both a Patagonia MLC and a Timbuk2 Wingman (which is like a poor man's Aeronaut 30). Of the two I liked the MLC better, despite the different layout. I just hated the dividing panel in the version I had (2013?) and found the A45 was better made, more flexible, and I figured I could use the space on really long trips.

As for the Pilot and BB... it should fit fine vertically. The Pilot is smaller vertically and horizontally that the largest Brain Cell. It is thicker though, so this might only work if it is unpacked or moderately packed, but I think the BB is spacious enough that it could just swallow it whole (assuming you don't have another one in the other large compartment!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fever39 View Post
    THANK YOU for mentioning your height and weight. in a lot of reviews, i have trouble figuring out if it would fit my small frame(for general male) and always ask in these reviews. also a huge plus that you wore them. :D
    No problem! I agree that that is woefully under presented in reviews, but it was actually @RobNC who gave me this idea when in his bag search, he asked how it would fit someone is his stature. Totally made sense to consider that aspect of these bags.

This was also the worst part to shoot. Must have had 10 takes trying to get the shot framed right, figure out what to say, etc.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    weirdguy and RobNC like this.

@RobNC

Here is a link to @kkintea's fantastic pictures of the Pilot fitting horizontally in the BB (and a whole lot more!) See post #8:

Packing the new Pilot in a Brain Bag?

The Pilot also definitely fits in the A45. I have seem many other posts on this as well.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-08-2014 at 05:54 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

AWESOME VIDEO!!!! That's. How. It's. Done. :)
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

I made the blog! Life complete.

A Tale of Two Aeronauts (itsablur's video review of the A30 vs. A45) - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

New dream: I hope to some day qualify for a fancy FoT special edition item...
    Last edited by itsablur; 08-08-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0