Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Co-Pilot Surprise Continues!

I'm also excited and felt the excitement energy from you guys - crazing/craving for the new Co-Pilot.

Nah... I could not add this CP to my current order - which is leaving TB Seattle tomorrow.
    Couldn't justify for the moment. Nevertheless, great to see that CP is back this quick - with some amazing combo option.

Also, taking my chance to "Bye" everyone (until Christmas) and very grateful for your greatest support over my questions.
    I try (not) to return to this Forum. This forum has drastically cost my wallet losing its weight in such short period of time. ^_^
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Yeah, I can only justify buying the Co-Pilot because it's in my favourite colour combo, plus I just got some unexpected affiliate commission on top of an expected payrise, so that cushions the blow! Enjoy your imminent TB goodies, and see you around!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @taminca, @itsablur This sounds as though they took a cue from the Pilot design, and went back and changed the Co-Pilot in the new batches. I wonder whether anyone who recently purchased the Co-Pilot could check this: @acquaris85, @al85, and others who got the Black Ballistic Nylon /Solar Co-Pilot that is now the only choice, and that shipped in early July, I think, can you check there are no O-rings over the pockets? If not, it may be that @Taminca got an early prototype of the bags they're gearing up for when the Co-Pilots product line get refreshed in the upcoming production batch.

moriond
    My Black/Solar CP is the old design i.e. only one o ring in the main compartment.

I'm looking at the Nordic CP now, could I just ask you guys where the o-ring in the main compartment is located?
    ETA: it's the old one, so there should only be one in the main compartment? I'd like to know where that's supposed to be.

Just took a look inside the main compartment of my aubergine/wasabi CP, purchased earlier this year (April/May), and there is only one ring in the main compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I'm looking at the Nordic CP now, could I just ask you guys where the o-ring in the main compartment is located?
    ETA: it's the old one, so there should only be one in the main compartment? I'd like to know where that's supposed to be.
    I think it should be opposite the wall pockets in the main compartment (more precisely, opposite the sewn divider between the 2 pockets).

hmmmm...... thanks adalangdon!
    this is interesting.
    I appear to have a rather special CP, one without o-rings in the main compartment lol

this is interesting.
    I appear to have a rather special CP, one without o-rings in the main compartment lol
    O_o @_@ Are you going to send it back? (... am guessing not!)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-06-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I think it should be opposite the wall pockets in the main compartment (more precisely, opposite the sewn divider between the 2 pockets).
    @icebeng and others, In the originally designed Co-pilot the single O-ring in the main compartment is placed, as @adalangdon described, on the central wall of the Co-Pilot, opposite the two pockets on the back wall. The O-ring is asymmetrically placed, and in the new design it is shifted slightly to the right of the water bottle pocket zipper, as viewed in @taminca's picture at the start of this thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    In the original Co-Pilot design, that single O-ring lies in the corresponding position asymmetrically placed to the left side of the water bottle pocket zipper. Take a look at the picture I attached in the old Packing Cubes for Co-Pilot thread:

That Double Carabiner clip loops through an O-ring at one end of a Wasabi 3D clear Organizer Cube and secures to the O-Ring on the main compartment wall of that Steel Ballistic Co-Pilot, diagonally crossing the Small Western Flyer (all Fabric version) Packing Cube packed with clothes, and securing it inside the compartment. That O-ring sits slightly to the left side of the center. (For completeness, there is a Black Dyneema/Wasabi Side Effect in the other rear pocket, with a handle loop attached to make it easier to pull out. It could also have been secured with a Double Carabiner Clip. There's also an iPad in cache in the back pocket. This Co-Pilot uses the original reversed zipper design that was in effect until earlier this year.) Anyone interested in that post's contents can read the end of the linked thread.

So it appears this is another change in the new Co-Pilot O-ring design: the location of the single O-ring on the central wall of the main compartment has shifted slightly from left to right.

this is interesting.
    I'll also mention that the O-rings in the Co-Pilots now use a different, lighter weight of securing tape compared to the designs of around a year ago, I think. It feels similar in weight to the black tape that is used to bind and seal the ends of the outside material (Ballistic Nylon or Dyneema) to the inside lining (200d Dyneema) of the Co-Pilots. This affected many bags. For more details, see the pictures in @adalangdon's 'O' ring tape thread from a month ago, and my post at the end. The comments there also mentioned that the new thinner tape twists more easily under the weight of pouches secured to O-rings in Cafe bags, but so far there is no mention about problems with the O-rings detaching or vanishing completely.

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    O_o @_@ Are you going to send it back? (... am guessing not!)
    HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-06-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Does the new Co-Pilot with the reversed zippers have a small or large size zipper on the main compartment?
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

*crossing fingers and toes*

Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please....

(Dreaming of a black Dyneema CP or Pilot)

Black Dyneema CPs are back!

I've asked customer service and the reply is that they do not retrofit bags with new features. :(

I've asked customer service and the reply is that they do not retrofit bags with new features. :(
    You are early @icebeng. Hehe.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Volunteer Moderator

There's only one case where they've done this: that was back in 2008 for Brain Bag waist straps. If they did this kind of customization, it would have to be for everyone, and you can imagines how many special requests they'd get, for example to redesign backpack strap placement. Even at a relatively modest rate, I'd have to ask whether you'd be willing to have everyone on the forums see product line back orders and new color releases by 1-2 weeks per item, in exchange for the ability to retrofit features.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    You are early @icebeng. Hehe.
    @weirdguy Did you break down at the last minute to add a Dyneema Co-Pilot to your order? Didn't you say we wouldn't see you until near Christmas, so your wallet would be happier?

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    There's only one case where they've done this: that was back in 2008 for Brain Bag waist straps. If they did this kind of customization, it would have to be for everyone, and you can imagines how many special requests they'd get, for example to redesign backpack strap placement. Even at a relatively modest rate, I'd have to ask whether you'd be willing to have everyone on the forums see product line back orders and new color releases by 1-2 weeks per item, in exchange for the ability to retrofit features.

@weirdguy Did you break down at the last minute to add a Dyneema Co-Pilot to your order? Didn't you say we wouldn't see you until near Christmas, so your wallet would be happier?

moriond
    True that, Matthew told me to think of it like buying cars, every year's new model would have new features, so just plunge in and enjoy the bag. :)
    In addition, the Black Dyneema CP I had on back order just shipped, I'm guessing it will have the additional o-rings, so if my mum really wants the o-rings, she could simply exchange hers with my dad, who isn't a big user of the o-rings.
    Plus, dad actually likes Nordic better, so it's still a win win situation.
    Part of me is still itching to tinker with self upgrades though, I'm considering asking to buy some o-rings and tape, then getting a tailor to sew them in for me.
    And moriond, really good point about the ramifications of customization, I'll be mortified if I found out I caused a massive delay for everyone over this! >.<"

Hi weird guy, yeah, was on the morning train when I posted that. (Non TB bag related info: we currently have a sort of incentive program in Singapore which lets you take the morning train for free if you alight at specified stations before 7:45AM. The savings over a year is enough for an additional TB order, so I'm taking full advantage of it! ^.^)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0