Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: New Brain Bag

New Brain Bag

I haven't yet seen photos of the new Brain Bag redesign on here, so here are a few photos of my Black/Navy one which just arrived tonight.

Name:  bb_top.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  232.5 KB

Name:  bb_sidepocket_orings.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  330.4 KB

Name:  bb_inner_orings.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  249.0 KB

Name:  bb_outer_orings.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  210.5 KB

Also are some comparison photos to my old bag, a Wenger GA-7305-14, which I originally got back in 1999. It held up well, but the plastic buckle on one of the straps broke a few weeks ago and decided it was time for an upgrade.

Name:  bb_wenger_top.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  bb_wenger_side.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  224.0 KB

One last thing... forget the TARDIS... apparently the crew at Tom Bihn are also prescient. Included in the box were some Cord Pulls which I was just eyeing up this afternoon while waiting for the UPS driver! Also an extra key strap which is always nice. Thanks very much to the crew for the unexpected extras!

Name:  extras.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  182.9 KB
    Last edited by thunderkey; 08-04-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Great photos!
    I almost thought your Brain Bag was a DayLight BackPack in the 1st photo because of the shape though!

Have you loaded it up yet?

Not sure what happened to the photos - they all looked good in Chrome and we're properly rotated when I uploaded them. I'll try to correct them tomorrow.

So far it's pretty lightly loaded, using a vertical brain cell for my 15" Retina MacBook Pro and associated cables. I plan to use this as my only bag for a 4 day trip from IAD to SFO next month (tech conference).

I really like how thin it cinches up compared to my old bag, and I'll be happy to trade the 8 zillion pockets in the Wenger for some modular TB accessories.

Great photos @thunderkey!

How does the Ballistic Nylon bottom piece look? Does it blend it well with the rest of the bag?
    Holy O-Rings! I count 9 from your pictures - up from 3 in the previous bag. Did I miss any?

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-04-2014 at 09:31 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Here's a photo showing the transition between materials.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407210757.660902.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  442.2 KB

9 o-rings - as Darcy promised!

So it's not only the bottom, it extends partway up the sides too!

The parapack interior is lovely! Not to mention that it'll probably be easier getting stuff in and out of the bag with pp instead of Cordura when the bag is stuffed. (I've noticed that it makes a difference in the cafe bags.)

I love my older BB, but will definitely consider getting the upgraded version in the future when there's a colour I want. The upgrades look good, especially the "O" rings against the back wall of the main compartments, ballistic bottom, and triangle clip. I suspect the mesh used now might also be tougher-- compared to the mesh on my Snake Charmer, the mesh on my BB is floppier, softer and unfortunately already has a small hole in it. :(

Thanks for sharing :D

Here is a profile view with it loaded up a bit more.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407240016.835658.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  263.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Holy O-Rings!
    I'm stealing this from you, @tpnl!
    tpnl likes this.

Out of my curiosity, does TB ever have Dyneema combo color for Brain Bag?
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

To my knowledge, the Brain Bag has never been "Dyneemaized" ever - exterior or interior.

I am not sure why but perhaps the Brain Bag is thought of as the TB "rough and tumble" bag - abrasion and tear resistance to the max (hence the Military Camaflauge version before) - even the interior 420d Parapack (and the 500d Cordura before) is stronger than the 200d Dyneema usually used (my guess). Dyneema bags, while still very tough, are not as tough as the Cordura and Ballistic Nylon bags.

@thunderkey - fantastic pics ... I really want one ... but I have one already ... and it has the special TB infamous tag ... uggggg!!!!

Hope this helps
    Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-05-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407796131.486079.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  365.8 KB

Brain bag got it's first bath while at Cub Scout camp... Rain showed up about 6 hours early! Everything inside was bone dry.

My BB arrived today!

This is not a small bag! The pictures in this thread and others were great in showing me what to expect, but I was still slightly surprised when I opened the box.

I loaded up an A45 Large packing cube and one small A45 packing cube, along with a Lenovo W520 and 11" MBA (both in neoprene sleeves) just to test it out, and I easily could have added more. This bag really is going to be flexible, and I can already see how useful it's going to be.

I'm working on some strap-taming using 1/4" velcro strapping just to tidy up the large numbers of adjustment points on this beast.

My Pilot arrives tomorrow, so will test some bag-in-bag scenarios. For shorter trips I want to use the BB with the Pilot nested inside, to use as my EDC. Longer trips will use the A45 with nested Pilot, and the international trips will use A45 + Pilot in a 2 bag scenario (if needed).

I'm attempting to convince myself that I no longer need to keep shopping for other bags.... *twitch*
    Aeronaut 45 (Coyote/Steel) * Brain Bag (Black/Navy/Steel)

Good luck with that last thing @RobNC. I do not think anyone on this forum has found out how ... :O

Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast