Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Back from Italy

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    Melissa,

Do you mind sharing where you stayed in Venice? I have a short trip their with my wife and daughter in mid-September and I am a bit overwhelmed by the hotel choices on the island!
    I don't remember the name of the hotel we stayed at, although it was not on the island, but a couple miles out. It was an Amercan owned hotel, and was the ONLY hotel we stayed at in Italy that had ice!!! Going back there, I would stay at the Hilton in Venice! It's a stunning landmark!

Venice Hotels & Event Facilites | Hilton Molino Stucky Venice | Italy
    Last edited by Melissa; 08-21-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

That was one thing I couldn't get used to in England - NO ICE!!! The girl at the Burger King in Picadilly Square couldn't believe I wanted a WHOLE large cup with nothing but ice!!! The little grocery store in the town I stayed at in Scotland had bags of ice - I bought one every day and kept it in the sink in my room - just wanted cold water all day with ice in it. And, whenever in a pub, sat at the bar right in front of the ice bucket.

Wow, I didn't know that the raindrops in Italy fell in little heart shapes - j/k
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....

Quote Originally Posted by eightspokedb View Post

Wow, I didn't know that the raindrops in Italy fell in little heart shapes - j/k
    Love was blossoming all around in St Mark's square that day...a young couple was getting their wedding portraits taken in the square (must have been "somebody" because they came by helicopter and had lots of armed security around them) and at a nearby table, a young man proposed to his girlfriend, who couldn't quit crying for a good 20 minutes to try to sob out a 'yes'. Saint Marks was spectacular. We sat, drank, and people watched for at least 3 hours.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

There is a wonderful b&b at 3749 Ponte Chiodo. The breakfast guy brings warm pastries from the bakery and you can breakfast in the garden. It may be hard to book on such short notice, though. I know Badger has been to Venice several times and may have suggestions. There are a lot of small charming hotels in Venice. Sigh... I envy you!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    12. A CAT5 or CAT6 network cable! Wifi was spotty at best. Some hotels only offer it in the main lobby. Some only allow one hour of free wifi. But all had the cable outlets...you just needed the cable to get "wired in."

Thank you SO MUCH for this thread - DW and I are going to Venice/Florence in September to celebrate her 50th bday. Question on your tip above - how did you get your iPads connected without WiFi? Is there a cable that can connect an iPad to CAT5/6? Thanks again.
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Thank you SO MUCH for this thread - DW and I are going to Venice/Florence in September to celebrate her 50th bday. Question on your tip above - how did you get your iPads connected without WiFi? Is there a cable that can connect an iPad to CAT5/6? Thanks again.
    If you're traveling with an iPad, I'd recommend the Apple Airport Express. Historically, the Express devices have been the utility knife for WiFi devices. In your case, they can take any CAT5/6 cable and create a WiFi network. They can be setup with your iPad (or Mac or PC).

Other nice little uses for your Airport Express (maybe when you return home):
    1. AirPlay music to it from your iOS device or Mac. The Express has a mini stereo jack, so you can plug in a speaker into it.
    2. Wireless printing. If you have a compatible USB printer at home, you can plug it into the USB port of the Express and wirelessly print to it from your iOS device or Mac.

Good to know, thanks. Do the older models that plugged directly into an outlet still work well? I can find a used one of those pretty cheaply.
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Do the older models that plugged directly into an outlet still work well? I can find a used one of those pretty cheaply.
    They do indeed, but note that the older models of Airport Express cannot be setup with an iPad/iPhone; they require a PC/Mac to setup. The newer versions of the "plug in" Airport Express can be configured with iPad/iPhone. Be warned: I've owned many different generations of the old "plug in" Airport Express, and they all look identical! So be careful which one you get!

Wish I had a link of the model numbers of Airport Express that are configurable by iPad/iPhone... I'll post it here if I find it.

I believe you want the A1264 model of Airport Express. According to Wikipedia: AirPort Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, I re-read my message, and I realize it's confusing. This makes it much more clear...

Quote Originally Posted by synapse25survivedNYC View Post
    They do indeed, but note that some older models of Airport Express cannot be setup with an iPad/iPhone; they require a PC/Mac to setup. The newer versions of the "plug in" Airport Express can be configured with iPad/iPhone. Be warned: I've owned many different generations of the "plug in" Airport Express, and they all look identical! So be careful which one you get!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0