Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Back from Italy

Quote Originally Posted by carl0 View Post
    Nope. We have a baby. There no such thing as one-bagging it.
    I hear you, @carl0!
    carl0 and Ilkyway like this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Glad you had a lovely time! Italy is one of my favorite places to visit but not to live. Venice is something else...have they finished the restoration of the Doge's Palace? I want to go back when it is done.

I have to admit, we lived in Italy for 4 years and I had not heard of using the first cup of water to wash your hands with...I've used finger bowls before but those are usually between courses and do not look like cups!

One bagging it isn't for everyone or every trip. Finding a system that works for you is what is important. TB bags make our day to day life and travel more enjoyable :)
    Ilkyway likes this.
    My TB family:
    A45 in black/iberian, black/steel BB S25 in black dyneema S19 in black/iberian LCB in steel parapack/iberian CP in navy ballistic/solar Swift in steel dyneema LS in Aubergine SE in steel 400d dyneema, nordic dyneema/solar, solar TTs various pouches/key straps/YSSs iPad mini cache LSBs, SSBs PCSB, A45 PCBP in Nordic dyneema 360mm Quiver

Maybe you've had a special experience there ;-) but the glass of water that is served with coffee should be drunk first and is used to rinse the mouth to be able to fully experience the taste of coffee. So you did the right thing. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post
    No... Lol maybe they don't do this anymore.. Was ages ago when I spent a Christmas at a South Italian families house. First at a Cafe at a train station and then at their home.. You get a small cup of water which I downed and shock horror everyone looked and laughed at me... It's for washjng your fingers not for drinking... Ops! Strange customs.. Don't you guys have taps? Lol
    Last edited by giuliof; 07-31-2014 at 11:50 PM.

I am pretty sure now that it was a special experience... Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    My beloved Aeronaut is going to a new home to be loved and to continue with new travels and adventures. A WF will be joining me on my travel adventures going forth, as well as a 25" or 29" rolling bag to be checked. After three hours of trying to get through the airport lines in Milan for the return trip home, the Aeronaut was just too much for my back.

That's me - recent 6 week trip with two long haul flights with transit at AUH (and an 8 night cruise with four formal nights). Checked the 25in roller and just carried my Ego and SCB. I cannot do backpacks and the Ego is about a much as I can haul on my shoulder. (we had a trolley for it and MrDaisy's WF for the long walks to airport gates)

Had to giggle when we checked in at JFK coming home and the checkin person said "We like people who travel light" - because our checked bags were smallish and not too heavy and we didn't have max size carryon bags. There were people in the next queue whose bags were flat out rejected due to size/weight.

It's all relative.
    Last edited by daisy; 08-01-2014 at 01:45 AM.
    List under construction ....

On our trips to Europe, we learned to take your #13 even farther -- every other day, do mostly nothing. No plans, maybe pick one "must see," and just go wherever the rest of the time. It takes a lot of pressure off, and you sort of feel what it's like to live there.

Or maybe what it's like to live there as an unemployed person there, who inexplicably has money to pay for a hotel room. :-)
    MrDaisy always wants to live wherever we are ... this last trip he wanted to move to Berlin, then Dresden, then Paris (again!) etc etc .. finally deciding that Manhattan was the place .....

I have to constantly remind him that the people who can afford to live in the bits we currently inhabit (Madison Avenue!) are considerably better off than we....

We too try to limit the amount of organised activities ...
    List under construction ....

<< I have to constantly remind him that the people who can afford to live in the bits we currently inhabit (Madison Avenue!) are considerably better off than we.... >>

Manhattan especially. It's gotten to the point where you can only be super rich or super poor to live there. No place for middle class, and barely a place for upper middle class. And certainly to raise a family, it's impossible, 2 bedrooms for close to a million bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    Glad you had a lovely time! Italy is one of my favorite places to visit but not to live. Venice is something else...have they finished the restoration of the Doge's Palace? I want to go back when it is done.
    Doge's palace still under restoration as was the Rialto bridge. I loved Venice (to visit once). I think it is an absolute must see for everyone's first trip. But, the next time we go (in a few years), Florence/Tuscany is where I want to return. I would like to get to see Pompeii, the Amalfi coast and the Dolomites next time, but I definitely want to stay in Tuscany and then visit the other places by train.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post
    One tip I can give being in Italy is..dont down the first glass of water they give you before a meal...its there so you can wash your hands. :D
    I can see how some of those fingertip bowls CAN look like a beverage glass if you aren't used to seeing/using them....

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  32.7 KB
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

Great travel advice. I like to one bag travel when possible (I'm terrified of losing my bag) but my husband always checks his bag. I sometime take a roller bag, and occasionally check luggage on the way home. You have to do what works for you and each trip is different.

Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    Great travel advice. I like to one bag travel when possible (I'm terrified of losing my bag) but my husband always checks his bag. I sometime take a roller bag, and occasionally check luggage on the way home. You have to do what works for you and each trip is different.
    Agreed here. My wife and I were meeting my cousin and his wife in Peru to hike up to Machu Picchu a few years ago. We ALL lost our bags, but at least I had wherewithal to wear my hiking boots and some of my hiking clothes on the plane, or put some in my carry-on. My wife and my bags thankfully were found and delivered to the hotel before we set out, but my cousin was not so lucky. They ended up buying new boots (which ironically they ended up liking more than the boots they had broken in and would have worn otherwise), and a few articles of clothing. Since then all four of us have been one bagging it when possible, at least on the outbound flight. Coming home we might check a bag since the timing isn't as crucial, but generally we carry.

For short haul business travel, I'll sometimes use a carry-on size roller since the planes are all gate check/sky check CRJ100/200s, especially if I'm going straight into a client office. If I'm travelling with coworkers who are using rolling luggage and I have to wait those 5 minutes anyway, I might as well do it to.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Melissa
    Recently returned from 4 week trip including 10 nights on qm2 ( NY to Hamburg) with 3 formal nights, remaining nights requiring jackets for men.
    Then train travel between hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Paris and London. Flew SFO to JFK (NY) , and LHR back to SFO.
    We keep traveling lighter, but still need a roller bag ( we are in 60s and Mr Hawaii has a bad back).

What we took: 1 Briggs Riley 22 inch ( BU 122) each which we checked on the plane segments. The model we have is being discontinued, but you can still pick it up on clearance. BR has come out with revised styling BRX series. I have not looked at those yet.
    FYI although the bag is sort of a 22inch bag, with wheels, etc it is officially too big for most plane carryon.
    Suggest you consider B and R for you next rolling bag because: 1. They dont tip over even when a bag such as the WF is loaded on top. They have great warranty. The handle is actually outside the bag, so you have a flat packing surface in the bottom. The dimensions of our model worked well with the EC packing cubes. 2 full cubes fill the bottom. For the 22inch size, it actually has good capacity, and fairly light at 7.3 lbs

In addition to the rollers, we carried 1 copilot in nordic ( my personal item and contained my camera), 1 shop bag with DH's small pacsafe manbag and other misc plane essentials as his small personal item. Also one rolling tote bag and the WF with luggage sleeve. When walking the long distance through the airport, just slipped the WF over the tote handle. If we had our suitcases , we could slip the wf on one of the suitcases, and the tote over the handle of the other.
    The WF was packed with some of our clothes for the next night or so, so we didnt have to fully unpack. As the trip went on, ended moving clothes around as made sense. For the last leg home, put as much as possible in the suitcases in order to make the WF and tote as light as possible.
    Fyi the suitcases weighed between 30-37 lbs fully packed although we did not use the expansion feature. That is about as much weight as either of us can handle when loading onto the train or up on the bed.

Your post was timely, as next year we plan to spend some time in switzerland and northern italy!

Nope. We have a baby. There no such thing as one-bagging it.
    I have four kids, now ages 22-30, but by the time they were 7 or so they could carry all their own clothes and stuff in an internal frame backpack. There is hope!
    nsh, carl0 and Ilkyway like this.

@jodel by then, i'll be too old to carry my own bags! haha
    nsh and Melissa like this.

Melissa,

Do you mind sharing where you stayed in Venice? I have a short trip their with my wife and daughter in mid-September and I am a bit overwhelmed by the hotel choices on the island!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0