Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: A Pilot Video Review (and comparison to the Co-Pilot)

A Pilot Video Review (and comparison to the Co-Pilot)

Hi all,

So after much fist shaking at YouTube, I tried to do my best @maverick impression in this video review of the Pilot. Notice that you will pretty much only ever see my torso and hands! Apologies for the first time video reviewer foibles.

For whatever reason, YouTube is only showing the video in 360p even though I uploaded it in 1080. Hopefully it's just a processing thing and it will eventually update with a higher resolution version. You don't make friends with below standard def videos...

Anywho, video is on YouTube.

Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

very helpful. thanks so much! This is the newest version of the pilot in steel dyneema/steel, yes?
    Last edited by meekasmom; 07-30-2014 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    very helpful. thanks so much! This is the newest version of the pilot in steel dyneema/steel, yes?
    Yes. It's from the latest batch of Pilots. I don't know if there has been more than one iteration of the Pilot since they were only released early 2014, but if there has been any change, I'd assume this version is the most up to date.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

This is a great video! You even put in the Lipbalm maverick-style.
    You explain the Bag inside out and outside in and after that compare it with its little brother. You left nothing to wish for, at least for me.
    THANK YOU for doing this. I came to Tom Bihn via a YouTube video, you will do the same for others.

Ilkyway

Excellent video @itsablur

I see it in clear 1080 HD and I really like the way you laid everything out and packed it all in front of our eyes. Great comparison points to the Co-Pilot (love the Black / Iberian - I have Black / Steel but Iberian is my favorite lining)! I even learned something new - the main compartment pockets on the Pilot are on the opposite side compared to the Co-Pilot.

This video helped!
    Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Nice! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Thanks for the feedback all! I can see clear room for improvement for my next time out, but this one didn't turn out too badly. Hopefully it helps a few people out there (and maybe moves a few more Pilots/Co-Pilots off Tom's shelves ;) ).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    This is a great video! You even put in the Lipbalm maverick-style.
    I think that should be our thing. The secret nod to all other TB forum goers/Bihnions, and a salute to @maverick's years of videos that probably brought many of us here in the first place. :)

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I see it in clear 1080 HD and I really like the way you laid everything out and packed it all in front of our eyes. Great comparison points to the Co-Pilot (love the Black / Iberian - I have Black / Steel but Iberian is my favorite lining)! I even learned something new - the main compartment pockets on the Pilot are on the opposite side compared to the Co-Pilot.
    It does look like it's just a YouTube processing delay. It even eventually got my key frame right (after several hours).

Even I learned a few things while doing the video, as you could maybe tell from the awkward moments of silence when I grabbed my Co-Pilot and looked around the water bottle pocket. I didn't realize the sides of that pocket have a sort of mesh lining. With respect to the change in main compartment pocket position, I think this is actually a huge improvement. I kind of really don't like how on the CP, the O-ring and the pockets are on opposite sides of the compartment. If I drop a key strapped OP into one of the pockets, then put my lunch into the main area, it invariably goes on top of the key strap making it darn near impossible to get that pouch out without my lunch coming with it.

So much detail and thought goes into these bags, it's really quite amazing when you actually stop and look at it closely....
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-30-2014 at 07:42 PM.

You guys and your lip-balms!

Great video, @itsablur! You did an excellent job of demonstrating the Pilot, and your Co-Pilot comparison was helpful too.

Great video!. I can't wait for my Pilot to get here. (Tracking info says it is in Philadelphia. Edit: No it's not. It has arrived in Koeln, Germany. Yay!!)
    I don't own a Tom Bihn bag yet and a video like this really helps. The thing is- now I want a Co-pilot as well.

Thanks. Great video. My Black Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot is due for delivery today. You've given me some ideas on how best to use it. Glad I went for the Dyneema also now seeing your video.

Cheers.
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Laundry Stuff Sack (Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

itsablur when your video came out I was in the marked for a 8" Tablet. I was thinking about Lenovo vs. Asus vs. Dell but you made me look at your Acer and now I ordered this instead. It has the 64 GB I want and looks quite promising. First I did not consider Acer because there Webside makes me thick. So much green and so hard to maneuver... But now it will be here on Tuesday.

So you did some non-Tom-Bihn enabling here, I thought you might want to know.

Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    itsablur when your video came out I was in the marked for a 8" Tablet. I was thinking about Lenovo vs. Asus vs. Dell but you made me look at your Acer and now I ordered this instead. It has the 64 GB I want and looks quite promising. First I did not consider Acer because there Webside makes me thick. So much green and so hard to maneuver... But now it will be here on Tuesday.

So you did some non-Tom-Bihn enabling here, I thought you might want to know.
    Eek! I humbly apologize for causing further bank account distress. :)

The active digitizer of the Dell and the ASUS are the only thing that had me really doubting the Acer (yes, their website is pretty fugly). In the end, I think/thought I would just make better use of being able to plug my table directly into a TV in a hotel room if necessary than to draw or write out notes. They're all surprisingly good devices, especially for the money. The free full copy of Office Home and Student 2013 doesn't hurt either (though that works better if you have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse).
    Ilkyway likes this.

No apologize needed, it was a planed investment so no harm done. You just had put another option on the table and I think it is a good one. For me it is a kind of test-run on windows 8.1
    I have to come to turns with it eventually and thought this might be a way to ease into it.
    And I want to be able to access my data on the go without lugging my laptop around all the time. And it will fit so well in my Pilot as you have shown in you great video! (See how I got the turn back to the thread ;-))

Ilkyway

@itsablur, just wondering - would your Acer W4 fit into a Side Effect?

Hehe. I just find out that Navy/Solar is available. Still in the process of justifying especially Solar is exiting.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0