Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Video reviews of the Pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    My question is about the tradeoffs between the ballistic and the dyneema. I loved the video seeing both the CP and Pilot in different fabrics side by side. I prefer the additional structure/stiffness that the ballistic offers, but the dyneema would pack down smaller when nested in another bag.

My main use would be EDC when on-site. Probably toting a Lenovo T420 in a small sleeve, and a notebook or two. From the video, it looks like the dyneema pilot could get a little "sloppy" if I was carrying a laptop this way, and the rest of the bag was only partially full.
    So I'm at the office today with both my dyneema Pilot and my Lenovo T420. (Sorry.) I'll try and take some pictures before I leave since I don't always tote this laptop home.

The front of the bag has more natural structure than the back because of the three-pocket segmentation. In general, I think it will be ok, but it will have more play and looseness than the ballistic.
    RobNC likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

With the pilot the sagginess of the back pocket when a macbook pro 13 is in it is alarming. Kerthunk went my computer on its delicate edges. I put a lightweight rain jacket in the bottom but a bit of padding in the bottom of a bag might be in order? especially with a dyneema bag.
    RobNC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    With the pilot the sagginess of the back pocket when a macbook pro 13 is in it is alarming. Kerthunk went my computer on its delicate edges. I put a lightweight rain jacket in the bottom but a bit of padding in the bottom of a bag might be in order? especially with a dyneema bag.
    I keep my computer in a fitted, padded sleeve (and even then I'm careful with it), particularly when it is in a lightweight dyneema bag like the Pilot, which tends to swing around. I think this is a better solution than padding the bags, which would add bulk and not be necessary for those who don't happen to be carrying electronics. Another way to handle it would be to cut a piece of styrofoam and fit it to that pocket.

Just found out I need to take my computer on my vacation tomorrow. Very sad about this. :( I am debating the merits of the Pilot over my Synapse 19.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

take both. Between them you will have all the bases covered. I plan to later this month. thinking about padding on bottom. have a cache ordered and on its way (slow truck= 5-6 days) but opted for vertical orientation to hang in S19. so when MBP13 is in the pilot, kerthunk....
    Last edited by meekasmom; 08-09-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0