Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Video reviews of the Pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hello @ken.m and welcome to the forums! Perhaps I can provide you with some information on Ape cases that fit into the Co-Pilot based on information posted to these forums by other posters, and @itsablur can follow up with his information. Nancy (@ncb4) uses this Ape insert in her Indigo Co-Pilot to carry her mirrorless cameras (Fuji xe-1 and xe-2 bodies) and interchangeable lenses. The size is: 10.25 x 7 x 4 Inches.

Thanks for that @moriond! I must have missed that thread during a self imposed TB ban. :)

After having used the smaller 3.5" wide model for some time, I think (and can see) for the 4" model could be a better fit overall. Being longer and taller, it looks to fill out the main compartment better. That probably helps prevent some of the rear bulging since the whole back would be flat (assuming you aren't still trying to use the CP's rear pockets.

In the CP with the smaller Ape Case, much like you can see in my Pilot video, I have room to the side of the insert. I find that useful for storing other things while I'm out for the day, but I think it also causes some "fall off" in how the back of the bag sits. That side can cave in, creating a different kind of bulge if you don't pack right.

Live and learn! Maybe I'll buy a larger size to fit the Pilot better...

Sent from my Iconia W4-820 using Tapatalk
    moriond, tpnl and RobNC like this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Thanks @moriond and @itsablur

I currently have a Co-Pilot with the 3.5" Ape case, and I was thinking of up-sizing to the Pilot before my next trip. I'm kind of surprised that @ncb4 was able to fit the 4" Ape case in her Co-Pilot, as the 3.5" seemed somewhat snug to me.

@itsablur, when you travel with your EM-1 in your bag, do you usually keep a lens attached? If so, how do you orient the camera in the bag? I have an EM-5 with just the 17mm prime, but I've been eyeing the 12-40mm lens.

Great video, itsablur! I found the Pilot woefully under-represented in video reviews, and yours was extremely helpful.

Agree, more videos of pilot needed. Got mine today and am doing the happy dog dance. It is PERFECT. The bag.

but oh--- that terrible "standard shoulder strap." Am I alone in thinking that 1.5" webbing with those huge clips is overkill on a bag this small. And the plastic-like shoulder pad in the middle that slides at will to the wrong place is just plain ridiculous. Make a great bag and stick on a terrible strap. I am rolling my eyes in amazement.

So, i went to amazon.com and bought Op Tech mini sos strap [link: http://optechusa.com/s-o-s-strap.html] that I read about here in forums and I think it will be a much better match for my pilot.

Keep up the feedback on the pilot. I suppose as more people get them, there will be more information posted.
    Last edited by meekasmom; 08-05-2014 at 08:57 PM.

@meekasmom, I am wondering if you received the wrong shoulder strap. The standard strap that came with my Pilot was not hard plastic that slid around. What you are describing sounds more like a simple strap.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    but oh--- that terrible "standard shoulder strap." Am I alone in thinking that 1.5" webbing with those huge clips is overkill on a bag this small. And the plastic-like shoulder pad in the middle that slides at will to the wrong place is just plain ridiculous. Make a great bag and stick on a terrible strap. I am rolling my eyes in amazement.
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    @meekasmom, I am wondering if you received the wrong shoulder strap. The standard strap that came with my Pilot was not hard plastic that slid around. What you are describing sounds more like a simple strap.
    I'm with @nwhikergal. That doesn't sound like the right strap at all. The true standard strap is full nylon on the top, and a moderately soft neoprene grippy pad on the bottom, and somewhat kidney/asymmetrically shaped (ergonomic).

If you have a plasticy pad that looks like this, I think you've got the wrong strap. Simple Shoulder Strap - The right shoulder strap for carrying lighter loads - TOM BIHN
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    I'm with @nwhikergal. That doesn't sound like the right strap at all. The true standard strap is full nylon on the top, and a moderately soft neoprene grippy pad on the bottom, and somewhat kidney/asymmetrically shaped (ergonomic).

If you have a plasticy pad that looks like this, I think you've got the wrong strap. Simple Shoulder Strap - The right shoulder strap for carrying lighter loads - TOM BIHN
    Agreed. @meekasmom, the Standard Strap is the one on the right in this photo on the TB website...

Name:  TB0555TB0507.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  19.3 KB
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Yes the standard strap is the one I have. It is not hard plastic but it is a definitely synthetic feeling plate strung on the webbing. And it slides around on the webbing in the most unpredictable way. I also have an absolute strap and while it is much stretchier and nicer without a sliding factor, it is way too big for this bag.

The absolute strap is made by Op Tech. Hence the mini strap made by Op Tech I think will work better with the pilot.

I do love it in steel dyneema. And because it's also steel inside the lining disappears and isn't a jolt. I did notice with dyneema that putting a MBP 13" in the back pocket means it sags down below the level of the bag because it's so flexible. I think this problem could be mitigated somewhat by using cache with rails (requires another cache with horizontal orientation different from synapse carry) or putting a lightweight jacket in the bottom of back pocket as suggested by recent forum member's video review of pilot and co-pilot.
    Last edited by meekasmom; 08-06-2014 at 05:11 AM.

@meekasmom, I also use the SOS from Op Tech on my CP. Just be aware that not only is the SOS smaller in width and bulk than the ASS, it is also shorter. This was a problem for me which I quickly remedied by adding a double carabiner to each end of the strap. Not particularly elegant, but it does the job by giving me a longer drop.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

See, I am short: 5'3" so the "standard" is way too long for me. forcing an awkward doubling of strap. So, hoping the mini sos will do the trick.

amazon.com says delivery of mini sos is for tomorrow. OH, I am so used to fast shipping. And really HATE the UPS dawdle across the continent when I order from TB (WA to MA is 5 or 6 biz days). I do understand the whole eco consciousness but oh, the wait. Better than international wait, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    I do understand the whole eco consciousness but oh, the wait. Better than international wait, I suppose.
    Thankfully it's only 4-5 working days from Seattle to England - and my Co-Pilot order is on the runway, so to speak (it has a tracking number in my order history, with status "Shipped", but isn't on the UPS website yet) :)
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

with international shiping (at least to Germany too) it is more the shiping- and custum-fee that is painfull. Not so much the time.

On a sidenote I asked to leave out the Shoulderstrap on my aubergine Co-Pilot because these things keep piling up hier. I just wanted to mention that if maybe someone else is having more than enaugh of them lying around.

Ilkyway

Update re Op Tech mini SOS strap:

So it is only PERFECT for use on the co-pilot or the pilot. Much better balance for smaller bags than absolute strap. sorry but it's just better looking with smaller bags. Absolute strap on copilot always bothered me and seeing the mini on the pilot helped me see why.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    with international shiping (at least to Germany too) it is more the shiping- and custum-fee that is painfull. Not so much the time.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    On a sidenote I asked to leave out the Shoulderstrap on my aubergine Co-Pilot because these things keep piling up hier. I just wanted to mention that if maybe someone else is having more than enaugh of them lying around.

Ilkyway
    Good point! I don't mind the shoulder straps, but I'm accumulating waist straps and annexe clips like nobody's business!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Since I've polluted itsablur's Aeronaut video thread with pilot discussion I decided to move back over here to continue...

Noooo..I deliberated one day too long and lost the option on the Black Dyneema Pilot. This is both good and bad. I've been dying for a Navy/Solar combo. I almost picked up my A45 in that color, but opted for the Coyote instead. This could be my chance!

My question is about the tradeoffs between the ballistic and the dyneema. I loved the video seeing both the CP and Pilot in different fabrics side by side. I prefer the additional structure/stiffness that the ballistic offers, but the dyneema would pack down smaller when nested in another bag.

My main use would be EDC when on-site. Probably toting a Lenovo T420 in a small sleeve, and a notebook or two. From the video, it looks like the dyneema pilot could get a little "sloppy" if I was carrying a laptop this way, and the rest of the bag was only partially full.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0