Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Video reviews of the Pilot?

NWhikergal,

great photos, thanks! This looks like a great bag which should be able to fit my bento box, and assorted papers/laptop...

Very much appreciated :)

Unfortunately, my plans to make a video are being thwarted by unscheduled travel (father-in-law's funeral), but I will still try and do this once I get back.

My plans are to show the Pilot for:
    EDC with laptop and book/folder/etc.
    EDC with laptop and lunch
    Travel bag for 1-2 night trip
    I will also show the PCBP in the water bottle pocket and the Pilot in the PCBP in case that's of interest to anyone. Of course, if there's someone else who would like to make this review, I'm happy to have someone else implement these ideas.

sorry to hear about your loss, jmoz all the best to you and your family.

I'm just editing my review together, but here is everything I'm going to stuff into my Pilot. I will also give a comparison of the Pilot to the Co-Pilot.

Name:  _7304770.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  405.6 KB

Video will hopefully be up later this afternoon.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Here ya go!

Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Awesome job, @itsablur. :D
    I have an obsession with solar, just in case no one has picked up on that yet. If it's in solar, I want it. XD

Thanks for the amazing video @itsablur. You review is quite thorough.
    I am amazed that the front pocket's pocket could accommodate a 8" Inch Device.

I'm planning to get a Venue 8 Pro as a full-Windows device, probably next year. Really helpful that you showed that part in your video.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Thanks for the amazing video @itsablur. You review is quite thorough.
    I am amazed that the front pocket's pocket could accommodate a 8" Inch Device.

I'm planning to get a Venue 8 Pro as a full-Windows device, probably next year. Really helpful that you showed that part in your video.
    I strongly considered the Dell as well. It's a much nicer device to hold; better feeling material, nice design on the back, it's thinner/lighter. What it really boiled down to for me was for one price (I got the Acer on sale, and they threw in a free 64 GB microSD card that I put into my phone), but secondly was whether or not I wanted the active digitizer on the Dell or the microHDMI output on the Acer. I thought I'd find the proper video out support more useful, so coupled with the price I went with the W4.

Now, after having spent a little time playing with a Surface Pro 3 at work, I kind of wish I got the Dell since it has the active digitizer support. Oh well, both are very nice devices.

The new Cherry Trail architecture that is coming later this year should make the next generation of W8.1 tablets even more powerful. I can already run Civilizations 5 on the W4 (it runs decently [it's playable], which is surprising enough as it is), and do light Lightroom/Photoshop work if I need to; I can only imagine how much better these can get.

Glad the video helped you on two fronts! :)

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    I'm just editing my review together, but here is everything I'm going to stuff into my Pilot. I will also give a comparison of the Pilot to the Co-Pilot.

Name:  _7304770.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  405.6 KB

Video will hopefully be up later this afternoon.
    great pic and video. hey, can i borrow your magazine when you are done reading it? thanks.

@itsablur I saw you posted the video in another thread, but thought I'd reply here since I started this one :)

Anyway, thanks so much for the video. It really helped me visualize how I would be able to use the Pilot. Looks like a very nice bag, and one where you can fit a lot of stuff inside. I also have one of those Vapur bottles. Is it a 1 liter too?

Lastly, thanks for putting it stacked up against a co-pilot. It confirmed that the co-pilot would be too small for what I'm thinking of using it for.

All in all, great job and very helpful! thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Anyway, thanks so much for the video. It really helped me visualize how I would be able to use the Pilot. Looks like a very nice bag, and one where you can fit a lot of stuff inside. I also have one of those Vapur bottles. Is it a 1 liter too?
    Thanks! Glad it helped you, and hopefully it will help future prospective Pilot/Co-Pilot owners to see the similarities and differences between the two. I know it wasn't the load out that people in this thread were asking for, but I don't carry some of that stuff. At least the camera insert plus a laptop should have given people an idea on the worst case scenario of packing the Pilot. I had room to spare! :) This could easily work for a minimalist overnight bag if i swapped out the camera insert for some clothing.

My Vapur bottle I believe is 700ml. I'm fairly sure I didn't buy the biggest one, for fear of it being too big to comfortably fit in bags.
    Rufus likes this.

Hi @itsablur, do you know the size of your camera insert?

I tried looking up inserts by Ape Case, and found the following sizes
    8.5 x 6.5 x 3.5 Inches
    7.5 x 8.5 x 4 Inches
    10.25 x 7 x 4 Inches
    9.75 x 7.5 x 4.5 Inches

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    My Vapur bottle I believe is 700ml. I'm fairly sure I didn't buy the biggest one, for fear of it being too big to comfortably fit in bags.
    haha, yea. my current 1 liter bottle has to lay sideways on the bottom of my bag (I keep it frozen on the way to the office, so I don't worry about leaks). But, it definitely doesn't fit any other way in my current briefcase.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ken.m View Post

8.5 x 6.5 x 3.5 Inches
    7.5 x 8.5 x 4 Inches
    10.25 x 7 x 4 Inches
    9.75 x 7.5 x 4.5 Inches

Thanks!
    Hello @ken.m and welcome to the forums! Perhaps I can provide you with some information on Ape cases that fit into the Co-Pilot based on information posted to these forums by other posters, and @itsablur can follow up with his information. Nancy (@ncb4) uses this Ape insert in her Indigo Co-Pilot to carry her mirrorless cameras (Fuji xe-1 and xe-2 bodies) and interchangeable lenses. The size is: 10.25 x 7 x 4 Inches.

I'll quote the discussion, which was actually a digression in another thread about choosing Dyneema or Ballistic Nylon for a Pilot. After we established that she was not planning to use this bag for her camera equipment, two forum members asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    Nancy, can I ask what kind of camera insert you have and where you got it? I am thinking I could use a CP when I only want to take some of the gear with me on a flight. It would be more versatile than the bag I carry now (which I do love, by the way, it's an Epiphanie), as well as smaller and lighter.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    @ncb4: what insert are you using for your MFT camera?
    Here's the reply, and I'll separately embed her attached image at the end so that it shows up as a picture, and not just a clickable link:
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    Of course, Auntie Em. Here's the link:

Amazon.com: Ape Case Cubeze Interior Case for Cameras - Black/Yellow (ACQB39): Camera & Photo

The insert just barely fits inside the Co-Pilot, but once inside it's durable and offers good protection to your camera and lenses. Plus I am still able to use the two slip pockets inside the main compartment, as well as attach an Organizer Pouch to the O-ring. The bright yellow color is a great match for Solar Dyneema, too: it makes everything easy to see. I recommend it highly, and I think the CP makes a great camera bag, especially if you've got one of the smaller mirrorless cameras.

Here's a quick photo of the Ape insert inside my CP. Sorry for the photo quality, but I had to use my iPhone so you could see both cameras inside the insert. That's a Fuji xe-2 with a 35mm lens attached [silver]; and a Fuji xe-1 with a 14mm wide angle lens attached [black, on its side].
    ~Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    How ironic: I have this cube but was using it with my larger dSLR. Will have to try with my MFT.
    HTH. @itsablur may be using a different model insert.

moriond
    tpnl and itsablur like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ken.m View Post

8.5 x 6.5 x 3.5 Inches
    7.5 x 8.5 x 4 Inches
    10.25 x 7 x 4 Inches
    9.75 x 7.5 x 4.5 Inches

Thanks!
    Hey Ken.m! Sorry, didn't see this reply.

Moriond is correct in that I have a different size. I use the 3.5" wide model since it is the narrowest I could find. Given that the CP and Pilot are both about 5.1" wide, and the main compartment only uses maybe 50-60% of that (guessing), I wanted as narrow I could find to prevent too much bulging.

Whether or not that width will work for you depends on your camera gear. I've been shooting micro 4/3 for maybe 4 years now, so very few of my lenses are very big. My largest body, an Olympus E-M1, fits without any difficulty, though the top hump does rub against one side since I leave a tripod quick plate mounted on the base. I can also fit two or three extra primes in the case, or one prime and a specialty zoom lens (either ultra wide 7-14 or super long 100-300). Gets a little tight with the 100-300, a 25mm f1.4 prime, AND the E-M1 with a 12-40 constant f2.8, but it works.

For transit, if I pull the collar over the top, I can secure another bagged lens on top of everything. I use this insert in other bags as well, though have some larger inserts as well.

I can take some pictures of it loaded up if you want. Might be easier to picture it.
    moriond likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0