Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By adalangdon
  • 2 Post By icebeng
  • 1 Post By adalangdon
  • 3 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By backpack

Thread: How old is this MCB?

How old is this MCB?

Yup, what it says in the subject line! There are some unusual features that I've taken pictures of; maybe they can help date this bag. It's Steel/Crimson. Provenance: eBay.

Old-style strap that's not sewn onto the bag:
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  134.3 KB

Zippers like the old-style Co-Pilot zippers:
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  216.7 KB

Blue patch (with "treason tag" inside):
    Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  217.0 KB

No 'O' ring in zipper pocket (none in the front of the main compartment either):
    Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  160.9 KB

The end of the strap securing the male end of the buckle is sewn down: (I prefer it this way)
    Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  211.2 KB
    icebeng likes this.
    ISO: Old TB stuff! But especially Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine MCB, Kiwi, Ultrasuede LSes, Pink Swift, Ego seat belt buckle strips, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

Would the MCB be offended if numbers offered are too high? :P
    I'll just say it looks very young lol, and well maintained
    Grats on the find!

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Would the MCB be offended if numbers offered are too high? :P
    I'll just say it looks very young lol, and well maintained
    Grats on the find!
    Thanks! I'm guessing it wouldn't mind sharing a description with its new owner: "a well-kept old soul". Ehehehe.
    icebeng likes this.
    ISO: Old TB stuff! But especially Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine MCB, Kiwi, Ultrasuede LSes, Pink Swift, Ego seat belt buckle strips, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

If it has the "treason" infamous tag, it should be a 2004 version. My Brain Bag has the same tag.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Volunteer Moderator
    @adalangdon You need someone who is a heavy Cafe Bag user (i.e., not me). At a rough guess, that Cafe Bag has to be earlier than mid-2007 based on the (blue) color of the label tag. See, for example, @Just's Café Bag strap musings thread dated May 2007 and note that the Medium Size Cafe Bag already bears a label which is gray in color, although the bottom strap is sewn down. The "treason" tag first appeared in 2004, but continued to appear in bags much later than 2007. Crimson as a lining color was quite common throughout that period.

I'd guess around 2006. Someone who bought a number of Cafe bags in this period (again, not me), might be able to place this better by the details of the stitching, and possibly the plastic pull tabs that were used. (I can tell the difference between the kind of stitching that was used on large organizer pouches from different times, for example, or the larger plastic tabs that were used for the Buzz up through the first Western version of the Western Flyer in 2008; I have zilch experience with the Cafe Bags in this early period -- @maverick might know). I know that detailed adjustment of the bottom tab was already in use with the (later) Ristrettos, but I was just never an early Cafe Bag user. And since this forum didn't even have volunteer moderators until summer 2009 (when Darcy first asked a few of the heavy participants if they would act as moderators), I wasn't particularly well versed on bags I didn't use (almost any large bag -- Brain Bag, Super Ego, etc.) and had only read about casually.

Sorry. hope this helps a bit. I do think it's more likely that you hit the end of this period (e.g., around 2006 or early 2007) simply because the volume of sales picked up a lot.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    See, for example, @Just's Café Bag strap musings thread dated May 2007 and note that the Medium Size Cafe Bag already bears a label which is gray in color, although the bottom strap is sewn down
    Ooh, thanks for that link! I hadn't seen it. Mine looks identical to @Just's SCB, actually, down to even the zipper pulls. I think you're right-- '06/mid-'07.

I will say 07, because, as I mentioned in the post Moriond linked, my first Large Cafe Bag has a grey logo, it is possible to switch strap and it also has the French tag.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0