Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Synapse 25 and 19

Synapse 25 and 19

A few weeks ago I ordered an S19 in burnt orange to replace my work provided bag that fell apart. Loved the color and the compartments for storage but it felt a little small on me and was slightly uncomfortable.

My wife, being the kind loving woman she is, suggested I order an S25 for me and pass down the 19 to her. So a week ago I ordered one in Olive/Steel and it showed up today. Here it is pictured next to the 19.

I'll post some additional thoughts and pics as I get to spend some time with it. I have to admit that while the olive looks nice I'm wondering if I should have gotten another one in burnt orange (which is such a great color IMO).

Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They look good together! And it's not too late to change your mind though.

Very true! May stay with the mixed pair. Decisions decisions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That Burnt Orange S19 is awesome!

It really is. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do but I'm thinking of keeping the olive to have a variety of colors. We're planning on an A30 or A45 later this year perhaps which will be yet another color.

Here's another shot of the orange on our porch.

Since I just received my veryy handsome Burnt Orange S25, I thought I would piggyback on your thread.. I am going beachside camping this weekend and decided take pictures of my 'practice' pack ☺️
    Basic beach/boardwalk/camping attire & supplies:

Consolidation:

Inside w/ SA45PC at the bottom:

Couple more items for the outside pockets:

Ain't she a beaut!

All-in-all, very happy with the S25 and could not be more pleased with the Burnt Orange/Steel combo. I already know that I'll learn ways to pack it more efficiently each time I take it out! (A few more of those packing cubes and organizer pouches probably wouldn't hurt...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy to grab and go! For size reference, I'm 6'2".

Last edited by nathant4; 07-16-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Took a few more pics of my olive S25. I had surgery Tuesday so haven't had much time to think about how I'm going to load it up until today. Definitely a work in progress.

The left side pocket includes my Surefire 6px Defender LED flashlight, pens and a Sharpie, and some lip balm.

Inside is the cache on rails for my MacBook Pro and an umbrella in the pocket. There's a ton of space left inside.

I also picked up a DOP that's hooked to an o-ring in the top front pocket. Nothing in it yet but it will hold a small FAK and other TBD items.

Oh, I also got the whistle sternum strap.

You guys are making this very hard for me.
    First off, i am 5'11" but thin like you in the video, and can't decide if I should go with the 19 or the 25. I don't need a very large bag but I don't want to look like I have a kids bag either.

And, I am really trying to decide between the orange or green too, so this thread is making it worse! Really, they both look so nice. I do also like the steel dyneema too. And, that french blue is just gorgeous but a bit too loud for me perhaps. Plus I have to check, but the French blue may have been a short run I think I read?

thanks for the pics

dave

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this would narrow down your options by 1.
    The S19 in Burnt Orange has been removed. :(

Can only say that I am 5'4" and I found the s19 small. I can't imagine what it looks like on someone 5'11"

The S19 looked like a kid's pack on my back. I am 5'8" and NOT slender, but the S25 is not overwhelming on me either. So I chose an S25.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

@d.weglarz: I'm 5'3" and find the S19 to be small on me. It fits what I need perfectly and I love it so, so much as my EDC. I traveled recently with my S25 for a 4 day trip as my one bag. It was fully loaded but looked like a regular backpack on me -- far from being overwhelming on my frame. I'd recommend the S25 for you, but I have found the S25 to swallow my normal EDC load (lunch, sweater, water bottle, umbrella, small makeup bag) and it wasn't as comfortable to wear when lightly packed compared to my S19.
    currently:
    • Burnt Orange: Synapse 19 (steel), Synapse 25 (steel), Organizer Wallet, 3D COC, small and medium DOP
    • Black: Side Effect (steel), small padded OP
    • Grey or Steel: small clear OP (steel)
    want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), DLBP (black or steel), Synapse 25 (grey/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

There is an overwhelming number of S25 votes here--let's get some S19 love going on! My husband is 6'2'' and I would say average build, he does have fairly wide shoulders, and can easily (read: comfortably) wear my Dyneema S19. The bag does not look ridiculously small on him at all, it looks just like an Osprey or an Arcteryx day pack of the same size. That being said, the Cordura and Parapack don't look as good on him. On occasion, he has used my S19 to carry his 13'' MBA, plus SE, lunch, coffee, etc. But for his EDC, he does prefer the S25 solely because he has an inexplicable need to carry every single electronic gadget he owns every time he leaves the house :)

I am 5'5'' and medium build, and I can comfortably wear a S19 in Cordura or Dyneema, and a S25 in Dyneema--but I find the S25 in Cordura or Parapack to be a bit too bulky on my back. I think with the stiffer fabrics, you feel the wide back of the 25 more. Since the Dyneema has a bit more give, I don't feel as though I have all of my stuff stored in one layer that covers my whole back.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    On occasion, he has used my S19 to carry his 13'' MBA, plus SE, lunch, coffee, etc. But for his EDC, he does prefer the S25 solely because he has an inexplicable need to carry every single electronic gadget he owns every time he leaves the house :)
    I can relate to this. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0