Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Black Dyneema vs Steel Dyneema Bags

Black Dyneema vs Steel Dyneema Bags

I'm looking for a side by side photo comparison of Black Dyneema and Steel Dyneema.

TIA
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Here you go! Note: the squares are the same size in the patterns; the appearance of a size difference is due to my closer proximity to the steel. While I took these photos fairly close up in sunlight, from a distance, it is difficult to differentiate the colors. Name:  Black and steel dyneema.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  137.4 KBName:  Black and steel dyneema2.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  131.0 KB
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-12-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    @ Frank II There are a bunch of comparison pictures of the Packing Cube Shoulder Bags by @Moosezilla in this post from the end of the New packing cube shoulder bags thread that shows up the differences between Steel and Black Dyneema very well. You can also find entries in the blog pages on Introducing Black Dyneema that show the Aeronaut (end view)? Also, see @Tizi's thread Black Dyneema\Wasabi Synapse 19 - new EDC for pictures of the Synapse in Steel and Black Dyneema.

HTH moriond

Thanks for the photos....trying to decide if I should sell my Steel Dyneema Aeronaut and replace it with one in Black Dyneema.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Thanks for the photos....trying to decide if I should sell my Steel Dyneema Aeronaut and replace it with one in Black Dyneema.
    @Frank II I think you'd be OK with either option: the Black 400d Dyneema is closer to your favored black, but the Steel 400d Dyneema shows up the contrast between Dyneema strands and background color (of steel, as opposed to black) less, while still being pretty dark. @Moosezilla's linked pictures of the different fabrics in the PCSBs shows this up pretty well. It's harder to judge these differences for the Aeronaut in low resolution pictures (which don't render the Dyneema grid patterns well), or in bags where the zipper trims break up the expanse of material (like the Synapse pictures).

moriond
    tpnl likes this.

From what I understand, the steel dyneema varies quite a bit in colour, though I don't know if this only applies to the 200d or to both. At any rate I found that the 400d steel Pilot I borrowed was barely distinguishable from my 400d black PCSB.

Personally I think it would only be worth the bother and expense if the black dyneema Aeronaut had a lining colour you preferred - but YMMV...
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I know this is going to put horror onto the faces of many of you, and perhaps some will even consider it sacrilege while others will think there is something very wrong with me.....but.....I don't go crazy over colors. Interior color really isn't that important to me. It's the exterior one that matters. As long as I can get a bag in either black, steel, linen or some other neutral color, I'm happy.

Aubergine is not a neutral color. It is, however, a color some here seem willing to kill for.

Why not just order one so you can see it in the flesh and do a live comparison?

As long as I can get a bag in either black, steel, linen or some other neutral color, I'm happy.
    I understand the felling, I don't see myself wearing bright (text markers) colors but I just love to see then in others!
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 18 days to go!!

but.....I don't go crazy over colors. .
    This statmend sounds funny next to your debating with yourself if it is worth to exchange a Steeldyneema Bag with a Blackdyneema bag. I see the differenzes in thous and I'd rather buy steel than black but bottom line is: it is being crazy over colors, that is what it is. ;-)

I buy/use bags due to their functionality first and appearance second. And that appearance is not just color and design but practicality as well.

The color I choose is more because of it serving its purpose than whether it looks good......I want to downsize in terms of weight and that means dyneema. I also believe that the darker the color, the less it is noticed by others--especially gate agents. Darker colors stand out less and appear smaller than brighter colors. (Why do they always say if you want to appear slimmer wear darker colors?)

Dyneema already stands out more than a solid color because of the pattern. I'm trying to decide if the black dyneema is that much of a difference from steel dyneema to "look" smaller.

I don't have the same bag in multiple colors. I've never stated "I'm so bummed, aubergine/wasabi is on backorder." :-)

I think I'm going to write to TB and ask them to send me a swatch of the black dyneema and then I can really see what it looks like.

Reality check--I'm probably going to stick to my "black" ballistic nylon Aeronaut. But I'm trying to evolve. Give me credit for that.

But I'm trying to evolve. Give me credit for that.
    Credit given! Not that you need any with all you already have!

Ask for the swatch and have fun in the process!!

Name:  il_570xN.82755432.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  43.4 KB

All bags I ordered are Black Ballistic or Black Dyneema!!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-13-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 18 days to go!!

Sorry if I understood you wrong but in post # 4 in this thread you talk about exchanging steel dyneema for black dyneema. If we are talking about steel ballistic here I should not have said a thing, because than we are not only talking color but function as well.
    If I have misunderstood anything else discard my posts entirely. I just had to smile about your (totally true) statement of me (for example) being hung up on colors and than going through the trouble of exchanging dyneeme steel in dyneema black yourself. To me this just sounded funny without a disrespectful meaning to it. I try, but sometimes I can not transport my the diferent levels of humor corectly. Please do not think I was making fun of you. I was making fun out of the fact that you where making fun about the color-obsessive-ones (e.g. me) in a threat that asks for the very subtle differences between two colors with the same function. Again: if I got this part wrong, I am sorry! If not, go with it and lets laugh together.

As for the standing out of the dyneema-grid: here the steel might be the better choice because the contrast is not so high.
    And as for credit: You have soooo much credit with me. I like your website a lot, liked the "sneak-a-peak" before the big product-launch here, liked the humor all around that... so no credit-lack here. Just saying.

Ilkyway

@FrankII: I wouldn't bother selling one to get the other. Black Dyneema is just a tiny bit darker than 400D Steel Dyneema, and I honestly doubt that a TSA agent would take much time to register that Steel isn't actually black.

@Ilkyway is correct that the contrast between the white grid and Steel is not as high; once again, I'm not sure contrast is that big of a deal. Then again, the swatch will let you know for sure and only you can judge if the expense is worth it.

I think real weight savings could come from a stripped-down version of the Aeronaut--like an Aeronaut Lite (I'm not a fan of that spelling but whatever). 200D, 30L, reinforced but ultralight backpack straps, and fewer internal guts. It wouldn't be suitable for checking, but plenty tough enough (I'm sure anyone with a 200D Synapse would agree that 200D Dyneema can handle everyday abuse).

Good luck; I hope this was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO

Caveat - I do not have either black or steel Dyneema bags - just Nordic

Based on you criteria for having a bag less noticed, I would say - of the two - the Steel Dyneema version would blend better in most airports which are usually mostly "steel" like colors - chrome, grey metal. Though I do not have either Black or Steel Dyneema (I like the Nordic as it does not stand out as much in my corporate world - like a striped blue shirt), I always can spot the black more often than the steel in pictures because of the contrast between the black nylon / white Dyneema is more obvious than the steel nylon / white Dyneema combo as @moriond mentioned above.

One other thing that is perhaps relevant - the steel color seems to "change" like a chameleon in different lighting situations - more like black in darker areas and more like steel in bright areas - anyone else have observed that as well?

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-13-2014 at 09:46 AM.
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Smart Alec (Black/Steel), Brain Bag (Back/Steel), Aeronaut (Black/Iberian) + PCBP & PCSB (400D Nordic), Tristar (Black/Iberian) + PCBP (400D Nordic), Checkpoint Flyer (Black/Indigo/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells (Black, 1, 2S, 4Z, 3), Vertical & Horizontal Freudian Slips, Camera I/O, TT (400D Nordic), Lead's Pocket (Black)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0