Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Black Dyneema vs Steel Dyneema Bags

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I don't have the same bag in multiple colors. I've never stated "I'm so bummed, aubergine/wasabi is on backorder." :-)
    @FrankII, I had to laugh when reading this line in your post. It is SO definitely ME! After many years (hmm...decades?) of sticking to black in my wardrobe, shoes and bags, I am now immersing myself in colors, especially the blues and purples and greens. Am poorer financially for it, but so happy...and color-coordinated :)
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    IMHO

Based on you criteria for having a bag less noticed, I would say - of the two - the Steel Dyneema version blends better in most airports which are usually mostly "steel" like colors - chrome, grey metal. <snip>

One other thing that is perhaps relevant - the steel color seems to "change" like a chameleon in different lighting situations - more like black in darker areas and more like steel in bright areas - anyone else have observed that as well?

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    @Frank II I agree that I'd probably stick with Steel based on the preferences you have previously outlined and restated here. I think that minimizing the contrast in the grid pattern gains you more anonymity than going for the darker black, especially if this is a true "one bag" situation where also minimizing contrast with other Dyneema bags/accessories is not a factor (e.g., future purchases are most likely to be black Dyneema - so traveling with, say, a Dyneema Co-Pilot pulled out of a Dyneema A45 or A30 gives you two similar fabric bags if you choose black). I think that's a negligible effect for you.

@tpnl is also correct about another difference between Steel and Black Dyneema: Steel has a reflective sheen from the woven fibers, and the way this changes in different lighting situations will actually help make your bag blend in more. (The 1050d Ballistic nylon has some some of this quality, too, but it's more pronounced in the 400d weight Dyneema, and is another way in which the look and feel is different from 200d Dyneema. And in Nordic, the combination of both that sheen and the "midnight" tone to the blue color against the white grid gives an even more changeable appearance, as @Yoda Sloth remarked upon in another thread.). However, the 400d Black Dyneema is different in having achieved a "matte" black quality to the fabric. It's another reason that the contrasting grid pattern is more noticeable.

By all means, request a fabric sample. My own feeling is that you won't be able to judge these effects as well as you can by viewing the picture(s) that specifically compared these fabrics in the linked post by @Moosezilla (particularly photos 2 and 3 giving closeups of these two fabrics in the PCSB). Just my thoughts. YMMV.

HTH. moriond

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I may stick with the steel dyneema if there is less contrast as that means it will stand out less.
    eWalker likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I would describe Steel 400d as "charcoal" or "graphite". Dark grey, but not quite black. Black 400d has a crisper appearance-- more so than Steel IMO-- as the black is a true black (i.e. REALLY REALLY BLACK). However, I don't think black dyneema is /that/ much more striking than Steel. Not to the point that you'll get stopped more often carrying one than the other. (BTW, is there really a correlation between the conspicuousness of your bag and getting stopped by TSA? I am curious.)

Here are 2 more comparison photos, taken in the same light.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  190.5 KB

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  257.9 KB

TSA is not the issue. They don't care what color bag I carry.

It's the airline gate agents I want ignoring me. Especially on regional jets.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    @FrankII, I had to laugh when reading this line in your post. It is SO definitely ME! After many years (hmm...decades?) of sticking to black in my wardrobe, shoes and bags, I am now immersing myself in colors, especially the blues and purples and greens. Am poorer financially for it, but so happy...and color-coordinated :)
    Taminca, I totally agree and resemble your comments! While I still have several black bags (purses, luggage, clothing)--I have been switching to more color in life overall over the last few years (hence my love of wasabi and ultraviolet). I ordered the A30 in steell/wasabi because I just felt a need for a non-black bag (though still a neutral like steel, I'm not an aubergine fan in terms of the outside of bags). So...I appreciate your love of color!
    eWalker likes this.

I want to downsize in terms of weight and that means dyneema. I also believe that the darker the color, the less it is noticed by others--especially gate agents. Darker colors stand out less and appear smaller than brighter colors.

Dyneema already stands out more than a solid color because of the pattern. I'm trying to decide if the black dyneema is that much of a difference from steel dyneema to "look" smaller.
    My philosophy is much the same as yours. If I want color, I'll get it with an accessory.

In any event, it's my opinion that black dyneema is flashier than steel. I have both, and steel is the more fly under the radar (pardon the pun) option; black dyneema is higher contrast and eye catching. If your purpose is to remain stealth and lightweight, the best dyneema option is steel.

There's a reason tuxedos are typically black and white; it's a standout. A medium grey and white suit isn't likely to be noticed by comparison.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

I agree with Frank; I think that black bags might be easier to slip past the gate agents. Not that it should matter if they are the correct size, but it's easier to avoid an argument. If nothing else, they make you look more professional, and I think that results in better treatment. I deliberately chose a black backpack for my recent trip that involved three small regional jets, and just ordered the black dyneema A30. On the other hand, I do think it is easier for someone to walk off with a dark-colored bag, inadvertently or otherwise, and for this reason, if there were more colorful dyneema choices for the A30 I probably would have gone in that direction. Also, I personally prefer colors, as long as they are ones I like.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

@bchapman, I would love to see photos of your black dyneema A30 when you receive it, if you are willing to share them. The black ballistic vs black dyneema for the A30 presented quite a dilemma.

I agree that ballistic black bags are likely the smallest looking, the steel dyneema blends in best, followed by the black dyneema. Perhaps this is way too nerdy, but the steel dyneema makes me think of Tolkien's elven cloaks with their camouflage like abilities.

If only there were a steel parapack A30...
    eWalker likes this.

I know this is going to put horror onto the faces of many of you, and perhaps some will even consider it sacrilege while others will think there is something very wrong with me.....but.....I don't go crazy over colors. Interior color really isn't that important to me. It's the exterior one that matters. As long as I can get a bag in either black, steel, linen or some other neutral color, I'm happy.

Aubergine is not a neutral color. It is, however, a color some here seem willing to kill for.
    FrankII What did you have to say that in the middle of a Columbo episode? Oh and one more thing, please sell you discontinued Steel Dyneema Aeronaute so that TB fans can show that it is not only purples and lovely blues that turns us into... choose your most appropriate film reference here, ( ).

;)
    Last edited by backpack; 07-13-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    FrankII What did you have to say that in the middle of a Columbo episode? Oh and one more thing, please sell you discontinued Steel Dyneema Aeronaute so that TB fans can show that it is not only purples and lovely blues that turns us into... choose your most appropriate film reference here, ( ).

;)
    After reading the responses in this thread, I think I'll keep the steel dyneema Aeronaut.

It's funny....throughout the years, I've sold many, many bags. But only one TB bag. (A Tri-star. I had two. And I was glad it went to someone who was going to use it.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0