Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Photo Comparison between bags

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    As a side note, in case you want to carry your Co-Pilot with clothes inside the back pocket, here's a link to the Packing Cubes for Co-Pilot post that shows a Small Western Pilot packing cube in the back compartment, along with a Side Effect and a 3D Clear Organizer Cube in the pockets, and a Double Carabiner Clip to latch these to an O-ring.
    Thanks for the links @moriond.

It helped a lot to better understand how better utilize the packing potential of the Co-Pilot!

Adding Western Flyer Small Packing Cube to my Wish List! :p
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Regarding the packing cubes, the sizes of the two sets are so close you could, theoretically, interchange them. (But, for more efficiency, it's probably better to get a set for each type of bag you have.)

Because of the moving divider between the center and end compartments, you don't really notice a big difference. The center section opening on the A30 is smaller than the A45 but there is so much leeway you can make the bag perform as you wish.

I think the big difference in size is not going to be felt from the length but in the width from 14 to 12.6 and depth from 9 to 7.9.
    Last edited by Frank II; 07-13-2014 at 03:00 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Regarding the packing cubes, the sizes of the two sets are so close you could, theoretically, interchange them.

Because of the moving divider between the center and end compartments, you don't really notice a big difference. The center section opening on the A30 is smaller than the A45 but there is so much leeway you can make the bag perform as you wish.

I think the big difference in size is not going to be felt from the length but in the width from 14 to 12.6 and depth from 9 to 7.9.
    @Frank II Do you think the change in width and depth will affect the ability to carry (large) shoes/boots, especially in men's sizes? It looks like the PCSB is still a good fit to the end pockets of the A30, although the depth spec is tigher (PCSB 11.75" x 7.75" x3"/300 x 200 x 80 mm)
    eWalker likes this.

I just tried putting a pair of men's 11W dress shoes in the end compartment of the A30. I was able to get the zipper closed but it took some effort. I would be concerned it would put too much pressure on the zipper. It also protruded quite a bit into the main compartment. The shoes were in shoe bags. (They're Rockports which are pretty big to begin with.)

I usually wear those shoes while traveling and up until now were the only pair I took. I am, however, looking for a very lightweight, casual shoe that can also double as an athletic shoe.

Edit: One of the keys to packing light is to wear the heavist/bulkiest stuff you're taking with you.
    Last edited by Frank II; 07-13-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

@aquaris85, I have a A45 if you want to have a look at one in person. It should also help you to get a grasp of the size of the A30 based on Badger's great review here - especially the photo of the A30 inside the A45...
    eWalker likes this.

hey kkintea, nice to see that nordic pilot with it's nordic family!!
    kkintea likes this.

@blusquid

Thanks for the offer! I have decided that the Aeronaut is not within my budget so I will not be getting it that soon. I did get a 2nd hand Tatonka Flightcase 1150 as the main carry-on for a good price (SGD 90 only!). It's not as burly as the Aeronaut, but it great and economical for me as I don't travel that much.

I will be using the Ego as a personal item with an empty Co-pilot stuffed into the back pocket. I hope it doesn't raise any red flags as a personal item. Ego to maximise carry-on load, co-pilot as the main day bag on my trip to Taiwan. I was so pleasantly surprised that the empty CP slides perfectly like a magazine into the back pocket.

P.S. I got it 2nd hand from hardwarezone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    tpnl likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0