Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree875Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos

Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos

Received my French Blue Daylight Backpack earlier this afternoon and want to share some photos and impressions. In a word:

AWESOME!

It is exactly what I've been looking for in a simple daypack -- a more contoured and sturdy pack than the PCBP but light, comfortable and just the right size to "nestle" in other TB bags.

First, photos of the DLBP next to the PCBP (WF/TS):

Name:  P1020579.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  P1020581.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  118.3 KB

The DLBP is slightly smaller, more contoured and has waist straps.

Now here's my FAVORITE part...

Name:  P1020585.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  124.2 KB

The DLBP fits perfectly and flatly inside the Aeronaut 45! This is what I had most hoped for. Now I can store it in my A45 while one-bagging it through airports and on transpo. And have a daypack when I arrive at my destination.

It will also fit inside the Western Flyer, in case you are wondering.

Name:  P1020596.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  105.2 KB

More in next post...
    Last edited by taminca; 07-04-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos Part 2

Next is the DLBP nestled inside the Tri-Star...

Perfect fit in the back compartment, as shown here:

Name:  P1020587.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  87.4 KB

It also fits in the compartment that holds the TS's backpack straps, as shown here:

Name:  P1020589.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  110.6 KB

And here is the DLBP inside the TS middle compartment:

Name:  P1020591.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  71.5 KB

Examples of some uses in the next post...

Edited to add: BTW the DLBP does fit in the back pocket of the A45 that holds the backpack straps, but because that back pocket is not rectangular but has a bit of an hour-glass shape, the fit is not as smooth as in the Tri-Star. The DLBP bunches up a little in the A45 backpack straps pocket.
    Last edited by taminca; 07-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.
    -- David Whyte

Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos Part 3

My first test for the Daylight is to serve as my gym bag. It will need to hold my exercise clothing (sorry for the neon green shirt that did not show up well in the photo), towels, shoes, water bottle, and Side Effect with miscellaneous (iPhone, iPod, earbuds, soap, shampoo, brush, ID, keys, etc.). Here are all that spread out next to the DLBP:

Name:  P1020604.jpg
Views: 1554
Size:  112.1 KB

And everything fits. I decided to put the shoes in the outer, slanted pocket to keep it separate from my clothes and water bottle:

Name:  P1020605.jpg
Views: 1547
Size:  116.2 KB

Name:  P1020609.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  119.2 KB

Name:  P1020615.jpg
Views: 1529
Size:  107.0 KB

More uses in next post...
    Last edited by taminca; 07-03-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    -- David Whyte

Hmm... I have a Western Flyer! I bet my Nordic would look lovely against the burnt orange!

Super helpful photos, as usual, taminca! Thank you for posting!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

@taminca Do you think we can place a 3D packing cube on upper part of the bag like on those posts on S19?
    Orders shipped! Waiting for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 arrival! ETA: August 29!!

Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos Part 4

My next test is to use the DLBP for a short outing of sightseeing or hiking. It will need to hold my iPad, Side Effect (with iPhone, wallet, keys, misc.), a medium-weight jacket, water bottle and a CQPC with snacks on one side (Larabars, of course, and an apple) and sunscreen, first aid supplies, etc.. on the other side. Here are before and after packing photos:

Name:  P1020616.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  113.0 KB

Name:  P1020623.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  146.4 KB

For the last two tests, I did not take an "after" photo, but can say that everything fits inside the DLBP and I was able to carry it very comfortably. First, I packed it with my emergency/evacuation supplies, which consists of water, rations (which look absolutely unappetizing!), first-aid supplies and a hand-crank flashlight and radio. (I learned from this that I need to greatly improve my emergency kit!)

Name:  P1020625.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  90.9 KB

My last test pack of the DLBP was as a beach bag, storing the largest beach towel I have, sandals, water bottle, hat, snacks (again, Larabars), iPod and earbuds, iPad, Side Effect with iPhone, wallet, sunscreen, etc...

Name:  P1020630.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  131.0 KB

Well, the Daylight Backpack is a hit as far as I am concerned. Indeed, I will soon be ordering another one. Way to go, TB!

Edited to add: I noted that the Side Effect fits PERFECTLY in the top pocket inside the Daylight Backpack, where an O-ring and strap is conveniently placed. (Coincidently, I'm sure).
    Last edited by taminca; 07-03-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    @taminca Do you think we can place a 3D packing cube on upper part of the bag like on those posts on S19?
    eWalker, I'm not sure what you mean by "like on those posts on S19." If you mean inside the DLBP in the top pocket, then definitely yes, since it can hold a Side Effect. If you can give me a link to those posts, I'll check them out and let you know.
    eWalker likes this.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    eWalker, I'm not sure what you mean by "like on those posts on S19." If you mean inside the DLBP in the top pocket, then definitely yes, since it can hold a Side Effect. If you can give me a link to those posts, I'll check them out and let you know.
    Thanks @taminca!

I was thinking on something on the line of @moriond post on Going marsupial tb bags fit inside other tb bags, but since there only one o-ring on the top of the inside comparment and no webbings, I was thinking of @scribe post on Wirecutter Guide to traveling well, just using a shorter keystrap.

What do you think?

My goal is to free the inside pocket for something else!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks so much for the photos! Really helpful to see it side by side with the PCBP. I just bought 2 since they're limited run in the 400D [anyone interested in a bag swap for a S-TS PCBP, used once - currently unavailable?] so I am glad to see I'm not missing out by passing on the Daylight.

I would say 'unless Nordic' but I just overdosed on Nordic before it went extinct. Maybe 'unless parapack' since I'm a new convert to pp!

BTW, I was sent fabric samples on the parapack around Christmas and went 'meh'. Totally didn't do it justice. Curious again, I went for the double organizer and was hooked; now I have navy, olive and steel pp items and it's awesome. I initially felt the same way about dyneema - couldn't deal with the busy check pattern but tested the waters and now have a ton of it. Sometimes you have to sample and not go by website impressions.

Can anyone confirm what Coyote is? Not sure if it's parapack or a ballistic trim on the Founder's, now a bag option with the Night Flight. Please don't say parapack :) Resisting NF successfully.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Taminca-
    Thanks for your photos. Your ups driver likes you better! It is 5:20pm. Here. Still waiting for Mr. UPS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    Can anyone confirm what Coyote is? Not sure if it's parapack or a ballistic trim on the Founder's, now a bag option with the Night Flight. Please don't say parapack :) Resisting NF successfully.
    U.S. high tenacity 1050 denier ballistic nylon

Have you visited Skookum Dog?
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-03-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    On the Night Flight thread, Darcy posted a pic of it along with the Aubergine in process of being sewn together. Appears to me to be the same texture, so I suspect ballistic.

I was thinking on something on the line of @moriond post on Going marsupial tb bags fit inside other tb bags, but since there only one o-ring on the top of the inside comparment and no webbings, I was thinking of @scribe post on Wirecutter Guide to traveling well, just using a shorter keystrap.
    @eWalker, I was not able to get the clip through the o-ring or through the fabric loop holding the o-ring in order to duplicate @scribe's method. The best I could do was to use two short key straps, shown below:

Name:  P1020637.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  132.6 KB

Another possibility is to use the 2 o-rings on the sides and double carabiners, as shown below:

Name:  P1020641.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  136.4 KB

Don't know if that answers your question.
    -- David Whyte

Thanks @taminca!

What do you think?

My goal is to free the inside pocket for something else!
    Aren't there o-rings on the left and right as well? They should be perfect for a Side Effect or Organizer Cube.

ETA: redundant post lol
    Taminca, that's exactly what I meant!
    Last edited by icebeng; 07-03-2014 at 05:50 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0