Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree884Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos

moriond thank you for thous pictures. Particularly since I was searching for the name of the blue on my small and medium DOPs. Now I know it is indigo. Love it. All thous French blue Daylighter are making me crave for one.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Thanks, @moriond! My WF is the rolling pocket version so I could not test that scenario.
    @taminca and others, Putting the DLBP into the WF backpack pockets works easily for both the Ballistic Nylon and Dyneema versions of the bag. I was curious about trying this in the Nordic Dyneema WF because I wanted to check whether this packs flat enough to allow a reasonable amount of packing space in the large back compartment, if you want to use the full, rectangular cross section to pack in. In fact, this doesn't work badly, although I haven't tried to test pack this tightly.

The other thing I wasn't expecting, is that the Steel Parapack used for the inside lining of the pockets and behind the front diagonal zipper provides more structure than I would have guessed from using Parapack pouches or the Lead's Pocket. It feels a bit thicker and also has a slicker feeling surface. You could easily slide in packed Small Western Flyer packing cubes, even the mesh ones. (For the Co-Pilot back pocket, the Small Western Flyer Packing Cube also fits, but it's much easier to use the all-fabric version, because the mesh can catch on the edges of 3D Cubes or the pocket edges, or stick slightly against the Urethane of 3D Clear Organizer Cubes.).

The tiered internal pouch structure makes it more flexible to use and carry items, and also to carry the pack with one strap if it isn't heavily loaded. I think the Cordura also provides a little more structure, but I'd be really curious to read a comparison of using the 400d Dyneema version vs. the Cordura. I considered getting the Dyneema version of the DLBP, and I think that could also be a good choice,

This really is a backpack that's primarily designed for lighter weight carries. They've made it more comfortable to use when more heavily loaded than the original WF/Tri-Star PCBP by giving it a more backpack like shape, and organization of pockets to distribute the weight better when carried (so you can also put heavier items at the bottom, and hold a laptop). And some people will like the color options. At the same time, some of the packing cube functionality has decreased (e.g., some loss of maximum available "rectangular" packing, and fits to large rectangular accessories like the Vertical Freudian Slip and large organizer pouches). And for heavier, general backpack loads (and, I think, heavy laptops) a regular multi-purpose backpack like the Synapse is just going to be more comfortable. But it's a nice addition to the spectrum of available choices, especially when used in combination with travel bag options.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Thanks @moriond, that is just what I needed to know!

I donīt intend to transport large amounts of paper on my EDC. And you just inspired me to use then also on the PCBP's that I will use as BOB!

Thanks again!
    @eWalker, I think the PCBPs (especially in the 400d Dyneema) are still going to be a viable option for a number of people. They'll get extra structure from including a Vertical Freudian Slip, which will also organize their papers and records. They'll use the full rectangular cross section for optimal packing. If they stow a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in the PCBP (for Tri-Star/WF) it can fit at the top, and doesn't have to be stowed at the bottom the match the tapering. And they can carry Large Double Organizer Pouches, and even insert them into the PCBPs to act to stiffen the bag.

I think the DLBP is a good option for people who want more flexibility out of a backpack when they travel, or just for daily use with lighter loads as a light-weight backpack. I'd been curious about French Blue even before @Taminca's pictures, and I was thinking this might be a good color contrast with a number of my bags (which include colors like Indigo, Navy, Plum, Nordic, Steel, and Aubergine) -- one of the reasons I didn't simply get plum.

I look forward to seeing more color combinations and more delightful pictures of the bags being worn, such as the video @maverick showed of his son wearing the DLBP and the pictures of @Ilkyway's girls wearing these bags!

moriond

Oh mercy! My resistance is slipping! I can see so much use for this bag with my Western Flyer!
    eWalker likes this.

Great analysis, @moriond! Since getting the Daylight, I decided to re-purpose my PCBP to become my gym bag/beach bag, since I think the dyneema will be a little more forgiving than cordura regarding dirt, etc. And it actually is working great so far (see photo).

Name:  PCBP.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  135.4 KB

I love that with the PCBP I can easily access everything at once at the gym when I lay it flat, yet it hangs nicely in the locker till I am ready. The daylight will be my go-to for travel or light day trips, but I cannot relinquish my cherished S19 for daily carry. The straps are just so comfortable, especially with weight, and I love, love, love the water pouch in the middle. But I am extremely happy to have the Daylight to fill a gap in my backpack line-up, and the color does make me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'd be really curious to read a comparison of using the 400d Dyneema version vs. the Cordura. I considered getting the Dyneema version of the DLBP, and I think that could also be a good choice
    @moriond I ordered a Black Dyneema DLBP for me and a Navy Cordura DLBP to give as a gift (in my Pilot order), and both have already shipped so I will be able to compare then in approximately a week.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @eWalker, I think the PCBPs (especially in the 400d Dyneema) are still going to be a viable option for a number of people. They'll get extra structure from including a Vertical Freudian Slip, which will also organize their papers and records.
    Gosh!! I completely overlooked the Freudian Slip... Thanks for the tip!!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

So what I really want to know now is how the Daylight would fit in the back compartment of the A30. Based on its dimensions, it seems like it should work, especially if it works for the WF. I can't wait to hear or see!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Yes, same little big guy.

It's a straight line across the back, perhaps two-thirds of the way down.
    Just a thought, considering the straps and zippers of the DLBP are also black, these 2 black lines won't really seem out of place, and they are at the back after all, where few people would see it. But I just took a look inside my own DLBP and saw that those stitches are for the bottom of the upper pocket, which means it's usually covered by the lower pocket, as the lower pocket overlaps it.*
    I wonder if the crew would consider using thread that's the same color as the exterior for those 2 lines in future? It would camouflage the lines on the outside, and in my case, on the inside, I would see 2 French Blue lines over Steel Parapack when I looked at the bottom of the upper pocket.

*Slightly off topic: I didn't understand what "shingled" meant, I nearly mistaken it for that disease caused by the chicken pox virus. And googling for answers didn't really help as I kept getting references to roofing! lol
    It wasn't until all of you posted pictures of the inside and detailed descriptions that I understood. As I look at my own DLBP right now, I think its purchase is perfectly justified, hey! I learned a new term in English! ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    *Slightly off topic:

hey! I learned a new term in English! ^.^
    LOL ! Imagine for us that are not native speakers!!

I learn new words every time I read the posts! ;)
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Thanks for all the awesome photos in this thread. If I wasn't still so in love with my S19 I'd be tempted to try out the DLBP for one bag long-term travel. It doesn't look like the volume is quite the same (16.5 liters vs. 19) but the tradeoff might be worth the decrease in weight (nearly half). I'm also intrigued by those shingled pouches.

Hey Crew, is this the Daylight in Wasabi (or Kiwi)?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Looks like Wasabi to me. I have a snake charmer that same color although I've been hunting a Kiwi OP with no luck.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Volunteer Moderator
    Also looks like Wasabi to me @kkintea, and by the way, this is one of the reasons I follow TB on Twitter, for extra bits of information. Wasabi looks good with Steel and Nordic, though you might prefer Burnt Orange. I received a small Wasabi Double Organizer Pouch (500d Cordura) with my Daylight Backpack in French Blue. So far, my favorite DOP color (in 500d Cordura) has been Cayenne.

@RhoFro I've been asking for pouches in Kiwi, too, for some time, but with limited success. Just keep at it. I hope they start making the Q-Kits in Kiwi -- that was my favorite color for the larger, now discontinued Kits. And I hope they make more of the Knitting Tool Pouches in Kiwi, too! I have one of early Clear Organizer Wallets in Kiwi (old enough so that they used the unsticky Urethane from the time of the first wallet releases), and it's great. Hope we all get more Kiwi accessory options soon!

Either way, when will we see this option? Twitter, you tease.

I'm not sure who, but I vaguely recall someone mentioning a kiwi q-kit. I don't know if it was a request, or a receipt of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    Hey Crew, is this the Daylight in Wasabi (or Kiwi)?!
    Either way, I want one!!! Oh wow!

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I'm not sure who, but I vaguely recall someone mentioning a kiwi q-kit. I don't know if it was a request, or a receipt of one.
    I requested and received on Friday a Kiwi Q-Kit. Interestingly, it was just a bit thinner and longer than the previous 2 I received, which were in Forest and Aubergine. Wonder if that size is specific to Kiwi or this latest batch of Q-Kits.
    Last edited by taminca; 07-12-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Is that a Daylight? The zipper looks off to me...or maybe I'm just seeing things which is very possible :)
    vivelly likes this.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0