Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree884Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    From what I have seen you do with a single pouch, I would love to see what you would do with a bag like the NFTD that have packing cubes & dividers plus all the existing pouches, sacks and organizers for you to play with!
    As it happens... I have a pre-order in for an NFTD :)
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  967.5 KB My dog is even worried about my Bihnitis!

Your dog looks like its saying "Dont touch it, its mine!!!" :)

@taminca - what is the width of the DLBP at the top compared to the bottom. Also, are the dimensions listed on the website accurate compared to the backpack you received?

Cheers!
    eWalker likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Missy, I love your couch.

Initially the DLBP carried zero appeal for me. However, after seeing these great photos I'm starting to rethink it.
    Moose
    ncb4, eWalker and Missy like this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Missy, I love your couch.

Initially the DLBP carried zero appeal for me. However, after seeing these great photos I'm starting to rethink it.
    Moose
    That's how I was. Then the photos.... I kept looking and looking and my fingers just had a mind of their own. They seemed to force me to the Tom Bihn site on my phone, right in the middle of the 4th of July cookout.
    ncb4, Moose and taminca like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    @taminca - what is the width of the DLBP at the top compared to the bottom. Also, are the dimensions listed on the website accurate compared to the backpack you received?
    @tpnl, the dimensions are accurate for length and width (the first 2 measurements). For the third, which would be depth, I think it would depends on how fully packed the DLBP is. Yes, it can expand to 5 inches. When I just measure the depth of an empty DLBP from seam to seam, it is about 3 inches.

At the most narrow part of its top, the DLBP is about 8 inches across. When I measure where the right top of the outside slanted zipper is located, the width there is about 9.5 inches. At the left bottom of the slanted zipper, it is 11.5 inches across. And at the bottom of the bag, it is very close to 12 inches across (11.8 according to the measurement on the webpage).

HTH
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Moose
    @Moose I wouldn't say this bag had zero appeal for me, but I wanted to see whether the internal structuring of the pockets really made it a more flexible option as a backpack than the PCBPs given that I really like to carry the Synapse (either 19 or 25) for my EDC. I knew, from the dimensions relative to thise of the PCBP for Tri-Star/WF, that the DLBP would fit into travel bags like the Western Flyer and Tri-Star, but I didn't know how well the internal structure of pockets would work. @taminca's picture/post of slipping the DLBP into the back pocket for the Backpack straps of the Tri-Star was also a surprise; I'm curious how well this works for the Western Flyer (with Backpack straps), too, and whether this is easier to do with the 409d Dyneema version.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    @Taminca, I bow to your creativity in depicting different scenarios! :) Thank you for sharing another set of great photos. I have now comfortably carried my SE in the upper Daylight pocket thanks to your post, and you have likely enabled more TB purchases with your past photo sets.
    @NWhikergal I'll just add a post here that, in addition to the great posts in your thread showing how the DLBP fitted with your Smart Alec,and the detailed pictures of all the O-Rings, I loved the additional pictures showing how the bag looked when worn, especially since I'm about your height and build. (Must say that I miss your cat in the pictures, but it's easier to see the way the bag works this way.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    More photos.
    1. here it is inside/out. Appears to be lined with steel dyneema
    top pocket only goes down part way. Lower pocket goes to bottom of bag.
    This inside out picture was extremely helpful!

[QUOTE=Hawaii;70521]As I said earlier, this is intended for DH "personal item". First pic shows what his minimum items are:
    1. pacsafe 100 that is his EDC containing dpi pens, pill case, comb, iPhone 5, reading glasses, and mini flashlight.
    (fyi keys and wallet are usually in his pant or jacket pocket)
    2. ipad air
    3. bose noise-cancelling headphones
    4.light jacket

everything fit in with room to spare! so he can add his wallet to the bag for going through security.

this should give an idea of depth of top pocket area:
    Attachment 6948

I placed the headphones in the top pocket, the pac safe and jacket in the main area, and the iPad air in the outside pocket.

Note the headphone case fit either horizontally or vertically in top pocket.
    THe iPad air (or iPad 2) did fit horizontally in the top pocket, but quite snuggly. It easily fit vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    Ok a few more "what fits" pix:
    not sure if anyone would want to, but the co-pilot would easily fit.

I actually have quite a few eagle creek packing cubes as I know many other Bihnions may have.

First few pix show full size original type cube. It did fit horizontally in the bottom of the bag if not completely full. It easily fit vertically.

and specter half cube
    @Hawaii I've stripped out a lot of the helpful pictures in the quoted reply, but these "what fits" pictures are great -- especially carrying headsets. As for the Eagle Creek and Tom Bihn Packing cubes in these bags, I've been thinking that we should have a whole separate thread recapping the various packing cube and sleeve combinations that fit in various bags, since I also went through this exercise for the Pilot. And there's a lot of information (and pictures) about this for different bags, but it's scattered around the forums. for example, I knew that the Small Western Flyer packing cube (mentioned in one of your earlier posts) would fit in that section of the DLBP because of the sizing design for the WF, but it's probably worth noting that this packing cube can also fit exactly into the back pocket of the Co-Pilot and into the Little Swift, for example. (In the case of the Co-Pilot, it's easier to use the all-fabric version of the small Western Flyer packing cube, because it slides in and out more easily than the version with the mesh. And while I can't imagine needing to switch this into my Little Swift, where it fits neatly but would take up most of the bag, I could put at least two full outfits -- light jacket, skirt, top, and dress -- inside this and carry it. I also particularly make use of the Eagle Creek Specter II cubes and have found it really useful to know how these fit into other bags (like the Imago) when transferring items.

And thanks, too, to your husband for providing another picture of what the DLBP looks like worn on a taller person.

Everyone has done a great job with the DLBP!

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    @tpnl, the dimensions are accurate for length and width (the first 2 measurements). For the third, which would be depth, I think it would depends on how fully packed the DLBP is. Yes, it can expand to 5 inches. When I just measure the depth of an empty DLBP from seam to seam, it is about 3 inches.

At the most narrow part of its top, the DLBP is about 8 inches across. When I measure where the right top of the outside slanted zipper is located, the width there is about 9.5 inches. At the left bottom of the slanted zipper, it is 11.5 inches across. And at the bottom of the bag, it is very close to 12 inches across (11.8 according to the measurement on the webpage).

HTH
    Thanks @taminca! I wanted to see what size of laptop case it might fit. It looks like the max size would be perhaps a 13 / 14" laptop. I love the pictures - the amazing French Blue color, the bag in bag options and the hanging accessories from O-Rings. I like the 2 side O-Rings and the S-binders you use with them.

@Hawaii - great photos with your EDC stuff and the inside out view - like a packing cube. The pictures of how it looks on yourself are also very helpful. It really shows what can fit in your bag and how it would look. BTW - does the Co-Pilot fit in horizontally or just vertically?

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-05-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I thought I would add a couple of size comparative photos of the DLBP vs S19, so that the S19 owners can visualize better. I have the DLBP packed somewhat full vs a moderately (not maxed out) S19. The DLBP is taller, but the S19 can expand more in depth with the tailored extra pockets in the front. In some ways the DLBP reminds me a bit of the Smart Alec in terms of its choose your own internal organization possibilities, though there is lots of room for creativity with the pouch system. Note: it is possible to fit a PCSB horizontally in the bottom of the DLBP. Some items that one might think would fit in the top pocket of the DLBP work better vertically than horizontally (see @Hawaii's earlier comment about ipad air) due to the tapering at the top of the pack (and also my attempt with a trade paperback). I do think that the DLBP feels like it fits me (5'3" person) in a more tailored way than the PCBP due to its more tapered shape, though people of larger or more muscular stature might be well served by either equally well. One other consideration regarding the DLBP vs PCBP...since the PCBP unzips all the way open vs the half zip of the DLBP, some people may find the PCBP easier to immediately organize and access, depending on organizational preferences. Just a few more thoughts for consideration!
    Name:  DLBP vs S19.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  99.3 KBName:  DLBP vs S19b.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  100.0 KB
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-05-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I do think that the DLBP feels like it fits me (5'3" person) in a more tailored way than the PCBP due to its more tapered shape, though people of larger or more muscular stature might be well served by either equally well. One other consideration regarding the DLBP vs PCBP...since the PCBP unzips all the way open vs the half zip of the DLBP, some people may find the PCBP easier to immediately organize and access, depending on organizational preferences. Just a few more thoughts for consideration!
    Excellent observations, @NWhikergal! I am 5'3" also and find that the DLBP fits me so well that the unused and still-tagged PCBP could be taking a trip back to Seattle since the main reason I bought it is for the backpack feature... and because it is Nordic, which might be just enough to warrant keeping : )
    -- David Whyte

So I had promised to show how the Daylight Bapckpack fits my two baby-Girls: the blond one is 7 years old and (today) 138 cm, and the brunette is 5 years old and (today) 118 cm. Thoughs hights are a bit over average due to there parents being a bit on the tall side. Both girls claim that the backpack fits just fine and could they have this one right away? But I think my youngest is a bit small for it. You can see the hip-belt sitting on her legs. On my 7 year old the backpack sits fine. She walked a bit through the garden with it and said everything fits perfect. But here are the pictures so see for yourself: Aparantly there is a 5 picture file limit. So here is the 5 year old:

Name:  DLBP1.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  617.1 KB

Name:  DLBP2.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  474.0 KB

Name:  DLBP3.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  505.2 KB

and the other girls comes in the next post...
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 07-07-2014 at 09:02 AM.

...and here comes her sister: 7 years old and 137 cm (as mentioned in the other post)

Name:  DLBP6.jpg
Size:  749.1 KB

Name:  DLBP4.jpg
Size:  743.8 KB

Name:  DLBP5.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  618.2 KB

As for my impressions: I like it a lot. I am not sure if I would taken the PCBPs for shopping. To the beach, why not but probably not into the city. But this one I can totally see at quite a lot occasions with me. I have to do a little playing around with it, to get how to best pack it, but the layout is quite genius in its lightness and organisation. The Plum looks very good. I had said it for aubergine and it goes for plum too: the black trimming goes very well with it. Last but not least I love the many O-Rings on it.

Ilkyway

I think there is only one question here.

Are you going to get them different colored ones so that it's easy to tell whose is whose, or will you get 2 more in Plum so you 3 girls can have matching DLBPs? ^.^

ETA: sorry, 3 more! In case your husband feels left out :P

icebeng: My husband is looking with puppy eyes at my S25. But he wants to show me what self-control is and waits a few days more till ordering.

The question of color is not easy in fact. Both girls are heartfelt purple-lovers. Maybe it has to be plum but I have to find a way to distinguish them. I am thinking maybe something like dorayme did with her Cafe Bag (I like it a lot dorayme!). Well I have to think about it a bit.

Ilkyway

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0