Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Like Tree884Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'd be really curious to read a comparison of using the 400d Dyneema version vs. the Cordura. I considered getting the Dyneema version of the DLBP, and I think that could also be a good choice,
    @moriond I have both versions with me right now... Do you have anything specific that you would like to know/check/see?
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Volunteer Moderator

The Gospel According to Luke on Steel Ballistic Nylon color …

@kkintea But what about the 400d Steel Dyneema/Steel or Wasabi or Solar SE? How does that rate in your panoply of Steel SEs? And I'd be really interested to know whether there are any current Steel Ballistic Nylon SEs with the "bluish" tones of the newer Ballistic Steel Pilots and Co-Pilots that @trailhiker and others have noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I would buy a bluish steel ballistic SE emidiatly if I would be sure about it being bluish.

Ilkyway
    @Ilkyway and Others I called in to ask about the color of the current Steel Ballistic Nylon products, including the Side Effect, and they are all of the "bluish" variety. Luke's explanation was that this shade of Steel is the color it is "supposed to be". The problem is that because of Ballistic Nylon's difficult dyeability, steel doesn't always come in true to the target color, hence the batches of Steel Ballistic Nylon with the greenish cast. However, the current batch of Steel Ballistic Nylon Side Effects came in true to color and are "bluish". I've seen a few older posts about people being disappointed with thie greenish cast to their Steel Tri-Stars, Aeronauts, or Cadets, so this is not a problem with current production batches using Steel Ballistic Nylon.

Having said that, I ended up ordering a Steel 420d Parapack/UV SE that was not in the drop-down menus.

@kkintea You'll have to extend your collection of Steel Side Effects. I didn't realize your Steel Dyneema SE was 200d weight. I think you would really like the 400d Steel Dyneema Side Effects.

HTH moriond

moriond

Thanks for this, @moriond. I ordered my first Steel ballistic item (a small mesh ballistic pouch) only yesterday. Green-tinted steel is fine by me since i like both grey and green, but I'm looking forward to seeing what blue-tinted grey is like. Who knows, a Steel/Steel SE could well lie ahead... /headdesk
    eWalker likes this.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

The color of the current Steel Ballistic Nylon products, including the Side Effect, and they are all of the "bluish" variety. [...] so this is not a problem with current production batches using Steel Ballistic Nylon.
    @moriond

After @backpack tip on his post to use all TB bags as bug out bags, I started to think that I could use one or two extra bags to perfect my emergency plan and you may have just gave me the final push! :p

Just for the sake of safety... Those are not for me, they are for the "emergency situations"!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

@moriond: that is good news. And since my latest order is in the air and I have nothing else on backorder... (will this EVER stop???) I am off, looking and the SEs.

I thought I read a post where someone said the DLBP fits in the back of the A30 where the backpack straps go but now can find the thread. Can someone confirm? I need to stop reading these forums because it is costing me too much money.

Opinion seeking now... Which DLBP color compliments Aubergine? Anyone have pictures of French blue with Aubergine? The black dyneema also intrigues me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I thought I read a post where someone said the DLBP fits in the back of the A30 where the backpack straps go but now can find the thread. Can someone confirm? I need to stop reading these forums because it is costing me too much money.

Opinion seeking now... Which DLBP color compliments Aubergine? Anyone have pictures of French blue with Aubergine? The black dyneema also intrigues me.
    The DLBP will fit if you fold it in half.

Objectively, I think that steel, black, and navy all complement Aubergine. I haven't seen French blue with Aubergine but I suspect that FB is too green (or Aubergine too red) to make them complementary in a color spectrum sense. I don't think they'd look awful together, just not ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all are viable choices except French Blue, but these colour things are very, very subjective. (You really should check out that awesome thread!)

Couple more photos...

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 342
Size:  262.5 KB

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 344
Size:  177.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    I love the DLBP in Burnt Orange as well. I wouldn't want another bag like an S25 or MCB in this color, but I really dig it on the DLBP. I'm thinking about getting one in steel because, well, steel, but the BO DLBP will forever be my hiking bag since if I die or bite the dust on the trail, my body will be easily spotted (yes, I fully intend on falling face first). Let the forum enabling for a steel DLBP begin!!!
    I'm thinking of going the other way - adding a Burnt Orange buddy for my Steel DLBP!
    eWalker likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Burnt orange is gorgeous with aubergine IMHO.
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

An olive DLBP! This color is impossible to photograph, but gorgeous in person. It's much, much prettier than the olive parapack; it's deep and rich and lovely. This is the best photo I could get for the color but it still isn't right. The second photo is what I could fit in it.

Name:  DLBP.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  dlbp one.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  318.6 KB

I'm not sure I'll use this bag this way, but in a pinch, it would work.

Red face

Help! I am paralyzed by the plethora of colors available—and this for a bag that I didn't even think I wanted when I first saw it. I'm not sure who the blame...er, I mean, enabler points go to, because so many of you ganged up on me in this thread and others, seducing me into thinking, "Yes, I've got to have this bag!"

So this morning I finally made the decision to order one: and now I'm stuck. At first I was absolutely sure I wanted one in Burnt Orange—until I wasn't. A little while later I decided that I absolutely, positively, with no regrets or doubts or second thoughts wanted French Blue. And the next minute I said, "No, Black Dyneema." And the next minute I said, "No, Plum." What is wrong with me?

And no, I can't order them all—I can hear some of you saying that already. :D

First: all the choices are gorgeous. You wont regret any of those!

Your avatar says take the burned orange. What is your main wardrobe-color? The black and French-blue are the most versatile colors. They both do not easily get in the way with others. The French Blue being bride and friendly, the black being stylish and cool. The burned orange and plum can trash other colors but are very lively each on its own. Do you have any of the colors in other bags? If so, I say go for something different. Unless you want to wear both bags together.

Maybe this is a starting point?

Ilkyway
    backpack and ncb4 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    First: all the choices are gorgeous. You wont regret any of those!

Your avatar says take the burned orange. What is your main wardrobe-color? The black and French-blue are the most versatile colors. They both do not easily get in the way with others. The French Blue being bride and friendly, the black being stylish and cool. The burned orange and plum can trash other colors but are very lively each on its own. Do you have any of the colors in other bags? If so, I say go for something different. Unless you want to wear both bags together.

Maybe this is a starting point?

Ilkyway
    Ilkyway, you are brilliant! I hadn't even thought of looking at the colors in my avatar: I do love that autumnal kind of orange. And my other bags include blues [Indigo and Nordic], and of course, purple. I seem to be in love with purple: I've got that Plum Brain Bag I just received, an Aubergine NF and A30 on order, and a host of other Aubergine bags already in my home [A45, Swift, Little Swift, Side Effect, Kit, and a few OPs]. Clearly I am drawn to purple, but then I think perhaps you are right: maybe I should go for something different precisely because I have so much else in purple, and also in blue, which is a kindred color.

That would take me back to either Burnt Orange or Black Dyneema. I do have a non-TB sling bag from many years ago in a burnt orange; but I have nothing in black. I tend to steer away from blacks and grays, because I think they are too somber. Which is why Black Dyneema may appeal to me: it's black, but it also has the visual appeal of the white grid on it. It can look crisp and almost professional, or I could change it up with zipper pulls in different colors of paracord. [I just did some of those for my Plum Brain Bag today].

You've really helped, @Ilkyway. I'm not decided yet, but at least I've narrowed down my options after you gave me some good things to think about.

Vielen Dank,

Nancy

I am a purple-girl myself with a genetic pull to all blues. My Daylighter is plum but I just ordered a SCB in Burned Orange just to get the color into this house. (My husband is not willing to jump the cliff jet, he is starting slowly with a black Brain Bag).
    I think the Daylighter might be the Cafe Bag under the Backpacks. I know you said you wont order multiple colors (FOR NOW). But if it becomes an often used backpack you might want to consider another color in your future without having to spend the same kind of money as on a Brain Bag. So you can be a bit adventures here.

Let us know what you decide on.

Ilkyway

Sehr gern geschehen!

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0