Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree884Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    With the barbeque heat we call the weather here, perhaps you might wanna consider packing a coconut or 3 instead?
    I think 3 of the pre-cut ones from Fairprice can go in the bottom. Straws can go into one of my OPs. Hurhur.

Re heat: Actually, this is great pack for those in hot weather. A highly sweat-prone person like myself will probably find the DLBP more comfortable to carry around in the heat due to the lack of padding. I carried my S19 in 33 deg C/93F weather a couple of weeks ago and my entire back was soaked after 15 min . . .

All in all, a nice compromise between a 'proper' backpack and the lightweight packing cubes. I'm a happy camper~
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I think 3 of the pre-cut ones from Fairprice can go in the bottom. Straws can go into one of my OPs. Hurhur.

Re heat: Actually, this is great pack for those in hot weather. A highly sweat-prone person like myself will probably find the DLBP more comfortable to carry around in the heat due to the lack of padding. I carried my S19 in 33 deg C/93F weather a couple of weeks ago and my entire back was soaked after 15 min . . .

All in all, a nice compromise between a 'proper' backpack and the lightweight packing cubes. I'm a happy camper~
    hmm! That's great news!
    I've been refusing to bring out anything more than a Side Effect or SCB because of the heat, I'll try out the DLBP for work tomorrow.
    Thanks!

I just returned from a 2-day trip, taking with me a French Blue trio of SCB, DLBP and S25. This was my first overnighter with the S25 and I was very proud of my minimal packing! (It helped that the dress code was casual for this business trip.) I slipped the DLBP into the main compartment of the S25 -- perfect fit without having to roll up and (gasp!) crease the DLBP. It was perfect as a daypack for both business meetings and exploring Lake Tahoe. And it held up wonderfully even when I got caught in a short burst of heavy rain and hail. I really do love this backpack!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

sending you a private message now

Okay. I'm pretty sure that my Burnt Orange DLBP just became my new favorite backpack. I love my S25 and SA, but the DLBP is in a league of it's own! Light, easy to carry, and simple. I decided to go for a quick evening hike since I'm on vacation this week (I work evenings) and it was hella hot and humid here today, so it seemed like a perfect opportunity to test out my DLPB's hiking capabilities. Prior to this, I had only used the bag for a quick weekend trip home and it worked great! The bugs may have chased us out a little prematurely this evening, but the DLBP proved more than worthy for summer hikes in this area!!

This is a shot of the DLBP in the sun.

Here's one of it in the shade. I tried to put it in front of the same kind of grass so you could see how the Burnt Orange color changes in the light.

I love this huge tree! It's on one of my favorite paths at the park we were at.

Soy beans look good this year!

I love how this picture turned out.

Getting deeper into the trees.

Another neat tree!

Back out of the trees and amongst the flowers of the prairie.

This is another favorite photo of mine. I'm by no means a professional photographer, but I try to not take potato quality pictures. I have an old digital camera from 2006 that I hardly ever use, so I mostly just use my iPhone 5 for 99% of the pictures I take.

And now for a packing list. I'm definitely going to tweak it before I go out again tomorrow since I forgot some things...I was anxious to get on the trail since I haven't been out there in quite a while!

The front pocket held my keys and my wallet.

A quick shot of the inside. The bag wasn't close to being full, so I could probably even use it for longer hikes or when it gets cooler and I have to pack a jacket and more layers.

At the very bottom of the main compartment was my water bottle.

In the top pocket was a 3D mesh organizer cube and a size 1 stuff sack that was tethered to the top O ring with a black 8" key strap.

The bottom pocket held a packed SE and a Moleskin notebook.

Everything all laid out.

In the front (or back) pocket of the SE was a pencil and a pen. Sometimes if I can find an awesome spot I like to stop and write or meditate for a while. I couldn't do that tonight since I got about 47 mosquito bites every time I stopped to take a picture. Boo.

Main pocket of the SE.

In the main pocket, I had sunscreen, big spray, and a mesh Coyote OP holding ibuprofen in the Altoids tin, Chapstick, and some spare contacts. Trust me, it really sucks when a bug flies into your eye, you lose your contact, and have to walk back to your car half blind and then drive home without crashing and dying. In the right inner pocket was a pack of tissues and the left inner pocket held another mint tin containing allergy meds, extra hair ties, a binder clip or two, some sticky notes, and a tooth pick and tweezers from a Swiss Army knife. This tin goes where ever I do and is referred to as the "Oh $@&#" tin. I have to grab something out of it at least twice a week.

The 3D mesh OP held my Buck knife, first aid kit, and a plastic bag for trash pickin uppin!

The size 1 sack held a women's size medium Eddie Bauer Travex tank top. I wore a t-shirt on the hike just because I got horribly sunburned last weekend and I'm still a little pink and flaky from my neck to my knees. I took this shirt with me just in case I got unbearably hot.

Like I said, I'll be tweaking this list next time, but I thought it'd give you an idea of what the DLBP can easily swallow.

I love the DLBP in Burnt Orange as well. I wouldn't want another bag like an S25 or MCB in this color, but I really dig it on the DLBP. I'm thinking about getting one in steel because, well, steel, but the BO DLBP will forever be my hiking bag since if I die or bite the dust on the trail, my body will be easily spotted (yes, I fully intend on falling face first). Let the forum enabling for a steel DLBP begin!!!

On a side note, I just re read my posts and when I refer to "us", I'm referring to myself and my DLBP. Yes, I do talk to my bags if you were wondering. They're my friends/roommates.

And to elaborate on my thoughts of the steel/steel SE, I'm so glad I didn't return it. I've fallen in love with it so hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    On a side note, I just re read my posts and when I refer to "us", I'm referring to myself and my DLBP. Yes, I do talk to my bags if you were wondering. They're my friends/roommates.

And to elaborate on my thoughts of the steel/steel SE, I'm so glad I didn't return it. I've fallen in love with it so hard!
    As a great supporter of all things steel, I have to throw in my vote for the steel parapack/steel dyneema SE over the ballistic combo (I have both, and 2 other SEs). More flexibility for marsupial-ing with other TB bags. Which brings me to my second point: enabling voice for the second DLBP. You never know when you might have to go steel ninja, and BODLBP needs a buddy.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    As a great supporter of all things steel, I have to throw in my vote for the steel parapack/steel dyneema SE over the ballistic combo (I have both, and 2 other SEs). More flexibility for marsupial-ing with other TB bags. Which brings me to my second point: enabling voice for the second DLBP. You never know when you might have to go steel ninja, and BODLBP needs a buddy.
    @kkintea But what about the 400d Steel Dyneema/Steel or Wasabi or Solar SE? How does that rate in your panoply of Steel SEs? And I'd be really interested to know whether there are any current Steel Ballistic Nylon SEs with the "bluish" tones of the newer Ballistic Steel Pilots and Co-Pilots that @trailhiker and others have noted.

I would buy a bluish steel ballistic SE emidiatly if I would be sure about it being bluish.

Ilkyway

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @kkintea But what about the 400d Steel Dyneema/Steel or Wasabi or Solar SE? How does that rate in your panoply of Steel SEs? And I'd be really interested to know whether there are any current Steel Ballistic Nylon SEs with the "bluish" tones of the newer Ballistic Steel Pilots and Co-Pilots that @trailhiker and others have noted.
    I forgot I have the steel dyneema SE too, raising my total count to....5. 4 steel and 1 Nordic. The steel parapack is still the winner. It goes with everything and it's pliable. Can also be used in professional settings as a standalone bag. The Nordic is a close second. My steel dyneema is 200d and it feels different from the parapack. Maybe too lightweight? I'm using in the car now as an organizer. I will have to look closer at the color tone of my most recent steel acquisitions... To be continued when NFTD arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

There are some great photos posted here, but none of a Steel Cordura DLBP. Would love to see some pics of what is rapidly becoming my favorite day bag in this color that @kkintea has almost convinced me that I must get :)
    Last edited by taminca; 07-22-2014 at 01:30 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    -- David Whyte

@taminca, Janine has loads of photos here: Daylight Backpack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    @taminca, Janine has loads of photos here: Daylight Backpack - Page 6
    Thanks! How could I have missed that???

ETA: Hmmm.... That Steel DLBP is looking mighty fabulous!
    eWalker likes this.
    -- David Whyte

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0