Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Fotorequest: Has anybody an Brain Bag in Plum?

Fotorequest: Has anybody a Brain Bag in Plum?

This is the one dedicated Backpack (from the now available collection of bags) that I do not own. I would love to see a girly version of it. I understand it is huge but sometimes huge is good and I have a backpack from another company with similar twin main compartments that I like for traveling with my "office", when laptop and work-stuff go in one compartment and the clothes in the other.

And as a related question: Darcy announced some changes for the Brain Bag (http://www.tombihn.com/forums/just-r...ce-update.html it is the third paragraph from the bottom in Darcys first post). But as I do not own one I am not sure if I understood all of them. More O-Rings are clear and GREAT but the rest I would like for someone who has this pack to commend on. Because a backpack this big has to be girly for me to like to wear it. So I am thinking: the current plum-version or waiting and hoping for something purple in the next batch.

Do you see what I am doing here? Sadly enough this is my way of passing the time till... you know what. But seriusly I am thinking about the Brain Bag for a while now and if someone has pictures and/or thoughts on this I would be glad.

Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 06-27-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    Hollie and eWalker like this.

I have one in Plum,it is one of the early ones but I think is pretty much like the current ones aside from some minor detail updates?

I would not consider the Plum to be more "Girly" than any others though?

Not at all sure how or why you think it will be either?

The Plum is a deep dark rich purple and not pink in any way if that tells you anything.

I also have 2 Red ones(whatever that color is called now,it looks red to me!)and they seem a little girlier to me if I had to think about it,which I hope I don't.

Anyway I will try to get a pic later so you can see it for yourself.

Also the bags now are made entirely of Cordura and so the fabric changes you asked about will be fairly new ground for the BB I imagine.
    Ilkyway and RobNC like this.

I keep stepping on touth with my thinking of deep purples as girly. Sorry for that. I can not even explain why because you are totally right, it is not gender-specific. I have to reboot this colour-world-veiw of mine!

Anyway, if you have the time to spare to make some pictures I would be quite thankfull because adding shipping fees and customs I buy to keep and not to send back and therefor I depend on pictures for an informed decision.

Ilkyway

Ilkyway

To answer you question about the changes Darcy mentions other than the O-Rings:

"Note on the Brain Bag: the next batch of Brain Bags will be made with an exterior of 1000d Cordura, an interior of Parapack, and (due to your popular demand) a bottom of 1050d ballistic nylon. And, oh yeah: more o-rings (!!!). When the updated Brain Bag debuts, the new price will be $190"

1) Originally (since around 1998 if I recall), the Brain Bags were always all 1000d Cordura exterior and 500d Cordura interior
    2) Then, recently there was a run of BB made of Parapack exterior and interior except for the bottom exterior material which was 1050d ballistic nylon). That is no more.
    3) Current versions to order on the website (not the next batch that Darcy speaks of above) have gone back to the all 1000d Cordura exterior / 500d Cordura interior - note that the website writeup is not always correct.
    4) The "next batch" that Darcy refers to will still have 1000d Cordura as the main exterior material. However, the bottom of the bag will be made instead of 1050d ballistic nylon same as the version in point 2 above (because we wanted it!). The interior will be Parapack as per point 2 as well.

I personally am really tempted to buy the "next batch" but my existing 2004 BB is still in fantastic shape .... !

To reference how the BB looks with differing levels of load, I like this article:

Imago Metrics: Go Bags & Go Kits- Brain Bag

I found this forum post for a Plum BB - Spotted: Vintage Brain Bag - Collectible?

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 06-27-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

<< And as a related question: Darcy announced some changes for the Brain Bag (http://www.tombihn.com/forums/just-r...ce-update.html it is the third paragraph from the bottom in Darcys first post). >>

Never realized that...thanks for pointing it out!

**hmmm.....decisions.....decisions......**

tpnl: thank you very much, that was exactly the information I was hoping for. I have seen pictures of your Brain Bag and thous where in fact the once that started me thinking about this pack. But I would like the parapack interior so I will have to wait if the next batch has a purple-version as well. I like the interiors as smooth as possible. But I have to say, I wish there was a bride parapack color for interiors. Although I came to compensate dark interiors with my guardion light hanging inside the bag so I can find everything easy.

Thanks again,
    Ilkyway
    tpnl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I like the interiors as smooth as possible. But I have to say, I wish there was a bride parapack color for interiors. Although I came to compensate dark interiors with my guardion light hanging inside the bag so I can find everything easy.
    Sounds like you're looking for a Plum Brain Bag with an Olive parapack interior ~ now that would be interesting!
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

San Francisco by getinmyhead, on Flickr

I'm using tapatalk on my ipad so I don't know if I just posted a pic or a bunch of gibberish. If I posted a pic that color was called plum back in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is there a really general timeline on the new Brain Bags??

I am not sure if I understood it right but I thought the next BBs to be made are the new style. So to my understanding the BBs on backorder right now will be the new once. Hopefully someone with more understanding/inside will comment on this.

Ilkyway

That is my understanding too. The next set of BB due in August will be the new setup - Cordura Exterior, Ballistic Nylon Bottom, Parapack Interior. Another way to tell is that the new versions of the BB will be more expensive - $190 vs $160.

But, I am not sure - if I order one of the ones currently showing on backorder whether it will be the new version or older all Cordura version.

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

tpnl are you considering getting a new BB? You hinted on that before. If so, may I ask for your reasons? Design-Update, Color Options, need for a second BB...? I am curios, I know. I hope it is okay to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    tpnl are you considering getting a new BB? You hinted on that before. If so, may I ask for your reasons? Design-Update, Color Options, need for a second BB...? I am curios, I know. I hope it is okay to ask?
    I just ordered a Plum Brain Bag, @Ilkyway, so when it arrives next week I would be happy to take a photo of it for you. I'd never really thought the BB was for me; I prefer shoulder bags to backpacks. But I have an Indigo Synapse 19, which I've liked very much for short hikes to carry my camera gear. But it's not always quite large enough for me. I looked at the Burnt Orange Synapse 25, but it's actually two inches taller than the Brain Bag, and I wondered if the BB might be more comfortable for me to carry with its 18-inch height rather than the S25's 20-inch height. So I'm giving it a try; hope I like it.

Besides, I love purple, so the Plum called to me. And knowing that the price is going up $30 any day now spurred me to order!

~Nancy

ncb4 that would be so great. I literally just got my first Plum Backpack (the Daylighter). Took pictures with my two bay-girls and am now sitting at my Laptop getting the pictures ready to post. I have to say the plum is gorges. I had a key-chain and a pouch in that color but was a bit afraid it might be too much in a backpack. But it is not and it looks great with the black trimming.

If you could add to Mr Doode picture that would be well appreciated!

Ilkyway

It would be my pleasure, @Ilkyway. It sounds like you and I both love the same colors: first Nordic, and now Plum. Do you like Aubergine as well? I have a few bags in that gorgeous color, too.

I just got a notice from UPS that the crew at Tom Bihn has already processed my order, so I'm hoping it will be here next Monday or Tuesday. I'll take photos as soon after that as I can.

~Nancy

Ilkyway[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0