Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Fotorequest: Has anybody an Brain Bag in Plum?

Right, so my 3rd-hand Kelly BB arrived this afternoon. Of course, this meant that I /had/ to make a detour to the post office after a long day to pick it up! For the benefit of small folks like myself (5'3"-ish), here are some pics of what a BB looks like with my usual school loadout. It is damned heavy, but the BB is one of the most comfortable bags ever. The shoulder straps feel like sofas. Aaaahhhh. <3

Front loadout: dental kit on top, sunnies in a case on your left, highlighter pouch and pencil case on your right.
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  132.2 KB

First pocket (from the front, that is) loadout: Two textbooks (2" and 1.5" thick), massive planner that I'm still using because it was a free gift, KTP with earbuds and iPod Touch, Q-Kit with iPhone charger and today's newly acquired freebie thumb drive.
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  129.3 KB

Second pocket loadout: 13" laptop in a slightly too-big case, Snake Charmer, SE with some essentials, TSS with a spare t-shirt (in case the weather gets /really/ hot) and foldable umbrella.
    Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  147.9 KB

Random picture of my Coyote Q-Kit. I'm hoping we'll see Coyote Cordura one day!
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  147.7 KB

I suspect this is what people really want to know. How does it look on a somewhat shrimpy 5'3" female? Here you go.

Answer: Not bloody bad! It looks good to me. Then again, I've carried much larger backpacks before, so what looks fine to me may look ridic to someone used to small packs. (Cardinal CP says "Sorry for photobombing!".)

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  98.2 KB

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  93.7 KB

Conclusion: I love this bag, and will probably use it for school (occasionally) and the very few short trips that I make overseas to visit family. It's clearly built for dealing with very heavy loads. For the short folks, it looks pretty good if you cinch it down as much you can. However, you'll notice that my usual loadout leaves a lot of unused vertical space. You can expect a much more significant "turtle effect" if you're packing it to the max. Would I buy another BB? Well, it depends on how much use this one sees. A Plum BB with a ballistic bottom would be a dream for me-- I am quite rough with bags that are meant to take a knocking, and I do wish mine had the triangle clip. Plus, the main compartments could do with more 'O' ring goodness.

Side note: I think this BB is from '06/'07. It has the following features: non-detachable waist straps, treason tag, and shiny 'O' rings. Instinct tells me this came out right after they transitioned to the grey TB logo label, but would appreciate more info and options :)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-25-2014 at 07:08 PM.

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by double-posting: if so, mea culpa. But in the Daylight thread I had posted a photo of my "kangaroo" Brain Bag, so I thought I'd also copy it here, for those folks interested in a Brain Bag who might not otherwise stumble across the pictures in that other thread.

I am traveling to the mountains of Virginia next week to take care of my mom after surgery, and I plan to take my Plum Brain Bag and stuff it to the gills with non-clothes items, primarily lots of electronics like my Macbook Air, iPad Air, Kindle, Fuji xe-2 with lenses and accessories, etc. I am planning to make day trips while I'm there to cafes where I will sip chai lattes and pretend to get some work done. I went ahead and pre-packed my brand new Black Dyneema Daylight for that, and rather than unpack it, I thought, why not simply place it in one of the cavernous compartments of my BB instead? That way it's quick and easy to load and unload. The Daylight, even fully packed, fit easily.

Name:  Kangaroo.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  523.2 KB

You'll also note that I added split rings to the Cache rail loops. I don't have a Cache, so I don't need them for that. And the Plum Brain Bag that I got just a few weeks ago was one of the last of the "old school" models: the ones with fewer o-rings. So I added four split rings that I had lying around the house [that's why they don't all match] and I can use them to attach all sorts of Key Straps, pouches, and carabiners.

Here is with my Solar 3DCO and a long Solar Key Strap. This bag is holding first aid supplies.

Name:  Hack.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  212.2 KB

And here are the reflective paracord zipper pulls I added. I've also got a Sternum Whistle and a Guardian Light.

Name:  Pulls.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  398.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    You'll also note that I added split rings to the Cache rail loops. I don't have a Cache, so I don't need them for that. And the Plum Brain Bag that I got just a few weeks ago was one of the last of the "old school" models: the ones with fewer o-rings. So I added four split rings that I had lying around the house [that's why they don't all match] and I can use them to attach all sorts of Key Straps, pouches, and carabiners.
    I did that too! Only I used triangular snap hooks, which allows me to clip stuff directly in without a keystrap. I now effectively have SIX O-RINGS in the main compartment of my S19 - even for me that seems like it should be enough. ;)
    ncb4 likes this.

Wow, that is a gorgeous bag!
    ncb4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by terayon View Post
    I did that too! Only I used triangular snap hooks, which allows me to clip stuff directly in without a keystrap. I now effectively have SIX O-RINGS in the main compartment of my S19 - even for me that seems like it should be enough. ;)
    That is such a cool idea, @terayon. Where did you get the triangular snap hooks?

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    That is such a cool idea, @terayon. Where did you get the triangular snap hooks?
    May I help?
    Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN
    There are 2 types, 1" and 1.5".
    ncb4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    May I help?
    Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN
    There are 2 types, 1" and 1.5".
    I feel like I should hit myself in the forehead and go, "Duh!" Thanks so much, @iceberg.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0