Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Paracord zipper pull

Paracord zipper pull

Hi guys, I just found out about Tom Bihn about 3 weeks ago and have been obsessed with the bags! I got a couple new bags and decided to add some paracord pulls to them after I saw another forum member decking out his brain bag with some awesome pulls. I figured I'd share some pics with ya'll! =)Name:  image.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  721.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  996.5 KB

Where did you get those very cool colors? I just have sensible, but boring black.
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Where did you get those very cool colors? I just have sensible, but boring black.
    I did a google search and found Paracord Planet.

They have a nice range of colors including reflective and glow-in-the-dark colors! :p

Enjoy!
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 21 days to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leekaren View Post
    Hi guys, I just found out about Tom Bihn about 3 weeks ago and have been obsessed with the bags! I got a couple new bags and decided to add some paracord pulls to them after I saw another forum member decking out his brain bag with some awesome pulls. I figured I'd share some pics with ya'll! =)Name:  image.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  721.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  996.5 KB
    Great job! Loved the contrasting colors!! :D
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-19-2014 at 08:17 AM.
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 21 days to go!!

I am now itching to use colored paracord with the TB pulls as Leekaren did. I like the finished look. What diameter paracord should I buy? That Paracord Planet place has exactly the colors I want but way too many options for diameter and materials.

I have been so swept away by the paracord colors offered that I haven't even focused on the points you raise! Thanks for lending me your cognitive functioning....
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Agreed, I need handholding! ;P What diameter, how much paracord, how do I tie the knots?! :D

ETA: All the forthcoming Bihn meetups should include a paracord-tying session!! :D

Has anyone found a source for Wasabi-colored paracord? I found colors that match Iberian, Solar, UV, and Nordic but Wasabi is the elusive one.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I did a google search and found Paracord Planet.

They have a nice range of colors including reflective and glow-in-the-dark colors! :p

Enjoy!

Love the multi-color paracord as well. I have different color cords on my Pilot and Side Effects!
    eWalker likes this.
    Navy/Solar PILOT, w/13" MBA cache, Large Shop Bag, various colorful pouches, straps, sacks, 3D mesh, large Dyneema org. cubes and Olive SE. As always, more TB stuff on order!

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    ETA: All the forthcoming Bihn meetups should include a paracord-tying session!! :D
    Considering the knitters population of Bihnions, and amount of things that may be done with color paracords, soon this will become a trend! ;)

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Last edited by eWalker; 06-20-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    haraya likes this.

Hi all...

Ebay sellers have paracord in a zillion colors, army -navy surplus type stores sell it as well as Joann Fabric and Michaels(find weekly coupons for 40-50% off!). Not sure about the quality.... certainly not milspec but that's not necessary for zipper pulls anyway.
    The cord on the wasabi bag up-thread looks like the color called "denim" which I put on my new Western Flyer. I pulled out the interior threads before sealing the ends and putting on the TB cord ends.

I also purchased glow -in-the-dark pulls on ebay but had difficulty installing them. That's a project for a different day.... or a different bag! :)
    No pics, sorry.
    Janine and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
    I pulled out the interior threads before sealing the ends and putting on the TB cord ends.
    THAT'S IT!

I changed out the cords on my S25 last night. I replaced the black ones with reflective yellow paracord and reused the black plastic zipper pull tabs that came on the bag. I struggled with the first attempt, but the second attempt - after pulling out the interior threads - was super fast and super easy.

Here is the end result:

Name:  14285830217_9f5710940b_z.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  85.1 KB

And a close-up of one pull (sorry - the reflective paracord wigged out my camera):

Name:  14470960652_880b410dc8_z.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  139.4 KB

To do this at home, you need:

- Paracord (I used the kind that is sold for paracord survival bracelets. This is my Etsy purchase...can you guys see that link? It is "550 paracord.")
    - Sharp scissors
    - A thin knife (I used my Swiss Army camping knife)
    - Pliers
    - A birthday candle
    - A match
    - A King's Hawaiian roll
    - A Tom Bihn bag that already has zipper pulls.

Steps:

1. Cut your paracord to length using the sharp scissors. I duplicated the length of my existing pulls, which was 4".

2. Pull out the seven strands of nylon from the inside of each section of paracord. This nylon doesn't melt well, anyway, which makes sealing the ends difficult.

3. Put the birthday candle in the roll and light it with the match.

4. Gently melt the ends of the paracord sections over the candle. You only need to melt the ends enough so that they are sealed and won't fray. A huge blob of melted plastic will cause you grief later.

5. Make a wish and blow out the candle. If there are kids nearby, sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY at the top of your lungs.

6. Use the pliers to squash the melted ends of the paracord sections. You don't need to apply much pressure - just flatten the end to replicate the hot knife cut that the pros use to cut their paracord. This step makes it SO much easier to use the TB tabs (ask me how I know).

7. Use your thin knife to open your zipper tabs (if reusing the ones you already have). Slide the knife into the crease between the rounded bottom of the tab and the outer sheath. The tab profile is rectangular. Do this on the short side of the rectangle and a little twist of your blade will pop the tab open. The long side of the rectangle doesn't work as well for this step.

8. Remove the old paracord section and insert the new one through the hole in the zipper.

9. Fold the new section of paracord in half and put both ends through the sheath. I *always* forgot to do this!

10. Since you have nice crimped, sealed ends, you can pop the ends into the bottom of the tab by just pushing them in from either side. (I'll get my husband to help me with a photo later. It will be perfectly clear when you can see what I'm talking about.)

11. Slide the sheath back down over the bottom of the tab, trapping the paracord inside the tab. Done!

Learn from my mistakes!

In my first attempt, I didn't remove the inner strands from the paracord. This made the pulls very stiff and it was very hard to cram the ends into the TB tab. It also didn't seal well over the candle. 550 paracord is thicker than the cord that came with my S25. Removing the inner strands made the pull more flexible and reduced bulk so that tab reassembled perfectly.

In my first attempt, I also didn't crimp the melty ends of the paracord sections. The crimp is what makes it so easy to reassemble the tab. The two fingers that trap the cord are only so far apart, and the crimp keeps the inflexible melted edge within that limit.

It only took about 10 minutes to do all seven of these tabs once I figured out how to do it correctly. :-)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post

5. Make a wish and blow out the candle. If there are kids nearby, sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY at the top of your lungs.
    Thanks for the post!

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the instructions! ! :D

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Janine and vivelly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the instructions! ! :D
    Thanks! And I love your signature! :-D
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    THAT'S IT!

I changed out the cords on my S25 last night. I replaced the black ones with reflective yellow paracord and reused the black plastic zipper pull tabs that came on the bag. I struggled with the first attempt, but the second attempt - after pulling out the interior threads - was super fast and super easy.

Here is the end result:

And a close-up of one pull (sorry - the reflective paracord wigged out my camera):

To do this at home, you need:

- Paracord (I used the kind that is sold for paracord survival bracelets. This is my Etsy purchase...can you guys see that link? It is "550 paracord.")
    - Sharp scissors
    - A thin knife (I used my Swiss Army camping knife)
    - Pliers
    - A birthday candle
    - A match
    - A King's Hawaiian roll
    - A Tom Bihn bag that already has zipper pulls.

Steps:

1. Cut your paracord to length using the sharp scissors. I duplicated the length of my existing pulls, which was 4".

2. Pull out the seven strands of nylon from the inside of each section of paracord. This nylon doesn't melt well, anyway, which makes sealing the ends difficult.

3. Put the birthday candle in the roll and light it with the match.

4. Gently melt the ends of the paracord sections over the candle. You only need to melt the ends enough so that they are sealed and won't fray. A huge blob of melted plastic will cause you grief later.

6. Use the pliers to squash the melted ends of the paracord sections. You don't need to apply much pressure - just flatten the end to replicate the hot knife cut that the pros use to cut their paracord. This step makes it SO much easier to use the TB tabs (ask me how I know).

7. Use your thin knife to open your zipper tabs (if reusing the ones you already have). Slide the knife into the crease between the rounded bottom of the tab and the outer sheath. The tab profile is rectangular. Do this on the short side of the rectangle and a little twist of your blade will pop the tab open. The long side of the rectangle doesn't work as well for this step.

8. Remove the old paracord section and insert the new one through the hole in the zipper.

9. Fold the new section of paracord in half and put both ends through the sheath. I *always* forgot to do this!

10. Since you have nice crimped, sealed ends, you can pop the ends into the bottom of the tab by just pushing them in from either side. (I'll get my husband to help me with a photo later. It will be perfectly clear when you can see what I'm talking about.)

11. Slide the sheath back down over the bottom of the tab, trapping the paracord inside the tab. Done!

Learn from my mistakes!

In my first attempt, I didn't remove the inner strands from the paracord. This made the pulls very stiff and it was very hard to cram the ends into the TB tab. It also didn't seal well over the candle. 550 paracord is thicker than the cord that came with my S25. Removing the inner strands made the pull more flexible and reduced bulk so that tab reassembled perfectly.

In my first attempt, I also didn't crimp the melty ends of the paracord sections. The crimp is what makes it so easy to reassemble the tab. The two fingers that trap the cord are only so far apart, and the crimp keeps the inflexible melted edge within that limit.

It only took about 10 minutes to do all seven of these tabs once I figured out how to do it correctly. :-)
    I read your wonderful directions, thanks for posting them. I'm not exactly sure how you use the roll. Would you mind making a video?
    Janine and eWalker like this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0