• 2 Post By maverick
  • 1 Post By dephyingra
  • 1 Post By Walker
  • 2 Post By maverick
  • 1 Post By dephyingra

Thread: Western Flyer fits United's personal item sizer

Volunteer Moderator

Western Flyer fits United's personal item sizer

At IAD, they just announced that because this is a small regional aircraft that only a personal item may be brought on board. Larger carry-ons must be checked.

My Western Flyer responded: no problem!

It's technically larger at 18" x 12" x 7" / 455 x 305 x 180 mm - but I haven't packed it to the gills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by maverick; 06-14-2014 at 04:24 AM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator

And my Side Effect can slip inside the Western Flyer...

Last edited by maverick; 06-14-2014 at 04:41 AM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator

Inside the Western Flyer: 13" Retina MacBook Pro in Brain Cell, two Shure Beta 58A microphones, AC adapter in small padded organizer pouch, various cables and adapters in a 3d organizer cube, tooth brush and toothpaste in a clear 3d organizer pouch, an iPad mini, and an apple.

Inside the Side Effect: earphones in a mini padded organizer pouch, a mini dyneema organizer pouch wallet, a pen, a tsa friendly multitool, keys, iphone, lip balm, wipes, microfiber cloth.
    Last edited by maverick; 06-14-2014 at 04:45 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    my "personal item," lost in the overhead bin.

Volunteer Moderator
    Flying aboard a Dash 8-200 today.

@Maverick, you are such a horrible tease!!! I am leaving for Italy in less than a month, and I still have not been able to find a Black/Iberian WF to adopt! Flying into Flagstaff is limited only to the smaller jets. Your pics are such eye candy!!!
    eWalker likes this.
    Cork/Iberian Swift, Cork Organizer Wallet, Cardinal/Steel Western Flyer, Cardinal OP, Iberian Yarn Stuff Sacks (all 3 sizes) Black/Iberian Side Effect, Iberian PCSB, Iberian Travel Tray, Nordic Travel Tray, Steel Travel Tray Iberian Travel Stuff Sack Navy/Solar Synapse 25, Black/Iberian Ristretto for iPad

@Melissa, I was able to adopt a Nordic WF and it's going to Berlin in 2 weeks. Sending good energy your way for the black/Iberian search!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    @Maverick, you are such a horrible tease!!! I am leaving for Italy in less than a month, and I still have not been able to find a Black/Iberian WF to adopt! Flying into Flagstaff is limited only to the smaller jets. Your pics are such eye candy!!!
    Hi Melissa,

I don't have a Black/Iberian WF, but if you'd like to adopt a Nordic WF for your trip, I think I can help!

Note, however, that this is a package deal - I would come along with the Nordic WF (just not in the overhead bin).

Included in this adoption package is complimentary photography of your bag wherever it goes!

So, what time is my flight to Italy?

By the way, it was hilarious - midway through my return flight tonight, the flight attendant pulls out a huge suitcase and a roll aboard suitcase that were stowed in a closet. These are short flights, and I think the crew either ends up in their home city at the end of the day, or they end up coming home after a few days. I've never seen flight crew with more than a roll aboard and a personal item. I was amused! :)
    -m

Thanks a bunch for this thread. I am headed to Germany and France in a few weeks on United and worrying about whether it would fit or not. I hoped to use my WF as a my personal item and an Aeronaut as my main carryon. Nothing checked... Woohoo...

Man, that is a beautiful bag. I have a black/wasabi nylon WF as it becomes my formal brief case on the road but the Nordic is just gorgeous... sigh...

Jerry
    eWalker likes this.

@dephyringa, please post about your experience using aeronaut as main carry-on + WF as personal item.

I have a WF with backpack straps and a WF without the backpackstraps. When I bought them, my thoughts were to use the latter as personal bag, the former (or the TS or aeronaut) as main carry-on. I was too lame to try this combination, however.

@maverick, thanks for starting this thread.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    I don't know - perhaps because my body is getting older, I feel like the Aeronaut and Western Flyer would be too much for me to wrangle personally.

I would at most carry a Pilot along with the Aeronaut. More likely the Co-Pilot.
    -m

I haven't used the combination, yet. I have used the WF twice but on Delta with a Osprey Porter 46. Used the Porter as a backpack and carried the WF like a brief case. It worked great and turned into a professional looking briefcase once at my destination.

I am Diamond on Delta and never get a second look but with the changes at United on carry ons, I was nervous. Will try next month...
    eWalker likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0