Like Tree16Likes
  • 11 Post By Hollie
  • 1 Post By Hollie
  • 3 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By haraya

Thread: Whoah! I just figured out a nifty Smart Alec hack for the lower modular pocket

Whoah! I just figured out a nifty Smart Alec hack for the lower modular pocket

I'm going to visit my Dad this weekend, and will be taking the train. I'm bringing my Aeronaut and my Smart Alec. The Smart Alec will hold my Side Effect purse, and magazines, sketchbooks, etc. I don't need the Aeronaut's space for clothes, but for books. Dad lives in my hometown of Portland, home to Powell's City of Books, and I plan on making my Aeronaut's first trip a test of book carrying capability. :)

But that's not the very nifty part! The very nifty part is that I was out on the deck today, taking off the lower modular pocket to slim the bag's lines down. I turned it over in my hands, and realized that I didn't want to give the pocket up. It's just so functional. So I thought, Hmmm, I wonder if I could just chuck it in the bag and use it as a packing cube/tube? And then I saw the webbing loops, and a lightbulb went off.

It works so well! I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. You can use it for any number of things; snacks, water bottle (so it will stay centered - much like the Synapse), toiletries, hiking stuff, etc. The really neat part is that, when traveling, if you end up with too much stuff, you can always TAKE IT OUT AND PUT IT ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BAG. My love for the Smart Alec knows no bounds, which just makes me laugh considering that the first time I saw it, I thought, "Eh, it seems okay, but I like the other bags better." Now I can't imagine life without it.

In the third photo, you can see my purse SE in the interior pocket of the SA. A lot of people ask, "What is that pocket good for?", to which I always want to say, "Everything!" I can stuff a travel towel in there, my iPad mini fits in there (the iPad mini also fits nicely in the upper modular pocket), it works for dozens of things.

Name:  photo-3.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  325.9 KB

Name:  photo-4.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  353.0 KB

Name:  photo-5.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  283.4 KB
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Is your SE also Nordic? I assume that it's down there by the yellow (Kiwi?) key strap?

I'll have to remember this - I didn't order a lower pocket for my SA because I didn't see a need for one, and now they're sold out :(
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Is your SE also Nordic? I assume that it's down there by the yellow (Kiwi?) key strap?
    Yup, SE is Nordic/Solar, with a Kiwi key strap as the purse strap (I also leave the waist belt on because I use that whenever I walk Ollie). The solar key strap is what my house key is on. :)
    Last edited by Hollie; 06-06-2014 at 12:09 AM.
    haraya likes this.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I'll have to remember this - I didn't order a lower pocket for my SA because I didn't see a need for one, and now they're sold out :(
    Oh, I'm sure they'll come back! Might just be some time. But if Bihnions are good at anything, it's having patience. :) SORT OF, hahaha.

Patience? What's that? *refreshes UPS tracking page again*
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I've used my upper modular pocket in my Smart Alec much in the same way. Like a catch-all.

Sent from (redacted)

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Same here - my order was getting spendy, so I decided to put off the lower pocket for later. But I did happen to speak to someone at HQ around that time (Matt? Luke?) and he indicated that Aubergine was a color that was going to be around for a good long while (since it's their main non-neutral in ballistic) - so I have hope that the LMP will return some day. :)
    Hollie likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0