Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: My new Medium Cafe Bag arrived!

My new Medium Cafe Bag arrived!

I ordered a MCB to use for a library bag and because I saw that it was available in plum/olive. I don't have anything in plum. Well, now I do! It is a beautiful color! I really love my SCB because it's just the right size for me to use as a purse when I'm carrying more than what fits in my pockets or SE.
    I thought for a minute about returning it, but then I discovered that my 13" MBP fits inside. I love how versatile TB bags are!
    Oh, I also ordered a small clear organizer pouch for receipts and they sent me a cocoa one! I don't have anything in cocoa and I immediately fell in love with the color!

Onward to pictures!!

Unboxing!

My SCB in linen/steel next to my new MCB in plum/olive.

One thing I love about the MCB is how soft the strap is compared to the one on my SCB. It was also a deciding factor in keeping the bag. So soft. So snuggly.

The SCB inside the MCB.

My 13"MBP fits inside!

Closed with the MBP inside.

Plum MCB and Aubergine SE. I love both colors!!

And I have purple sunglasses. So much purple...

SCB, iPad Ristretto, MCB, SE.

No surprise, but everything fits in the S25 with lots of room to spare!

TB selfie with my two newest bags! So much love!

Olive is my most favorite color in the universe. Purple is a close runner up...

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    One thing I love about the MCB is how soft the strap is compared to the one on my SCB. It was also a deciding factor in keeping the bag. So soft. So snuggly.
    I've noticed this, too! I have several Cafe Bags, and some have the thicker, stiffer strap, and others have the soft one with the pleasing vertical lines. I'm not sure what the process is of deciding which bag gets which strap. It doesn't correlate with size of the bag. It does make a big difference. I'll likely be letting go of my MCB in Nordic/UV because I don't care for the stiffer strap.

The bags are gorgeous! Congrats! I love plum, it's such a lovely shade of purple. I've had my plum cafe bag for 2-3 years and I just never stops looking beautiful no matter what I put it through.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    I've noticed this, too! I have several Cafe Bags, and some have the thicker, stiffer strap, and others have the soft one with the pleasing vertical lines. I'm not sure what the process is of deciding which bag gets which strap. It doesn't correlate with size of the bag. It does make a big difference. I'll likely be letting go of my MCB in Nordic/UV because I don't care for the stiffer strap.
    The Cafe Bags switched from the softer strap to the stiffer one for a time, before returning to a softer strap again. I believe my post was the first to ask about it: Cafe Bag strap change? . And there was more information and a happy update from Darcy in this similar thread: Cafe Bag Strap Changes?

I returned a Nordic/Ultraviolet SCB because of the stiffer strap and purchased a Plum/Wasabi SCB that at the time was the only bag available with the softer strap in a color combination I liked. Now that the softer strap is back, I'm tempted by the Parapack cafe bags, but sad that the Portable Culture label is gone. My guess is that all new cafe bags have the softer strap, but there's a chance of getting a stiffer strap in non-Parapack cafe bags until they're all sold (and not returned).

I have a. MCB with the stiff strap - it's waiting for me to get it to a decent repairer to remove the strap so I can use it with the small version of the absolute strap i bought for it - i was planning on bringing it on my current trip but just couldn't use it with the stiff strap.

Otherwise i really like it ..
    List under construction ....

Since my SCB was one of my first TB purchases, I am quite fond of it and I don't even care that the strap is more stiff than the squishy, cuddly one on the MCB. Since the stiff strap is what I'm used to, the squishy strap was quite a pleasant surprise, but it's not enough for me to want to disown my SCB and try to get a new one with a squishy strap. I guess I'm not that picky of a person in general...I'm easy to please! Whatevs!
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by teresapoet View Post
    The Cafe Bags switched from the softer strap to the stiffer one for a time, before returning to a softer strap again. I believe my post was the first to ask about it: Cafe Bag strap change? . And there was more information and a happy update from Darcy in this similar thread: Cafe Bag Strap Changes?

I returned a Nordic/Ultraviolet SCB because of the stiffer strap and purchased a Plum/Wasabi SCB that at the time was the only bag available with the softer strap in a color combination I liked. Now that the softer strap is back, I'm tempted by the Parapack cafe bags, but sad that the Portable Culture label is gone. My guess is that all new cafe bags have the softer strap, but there's a chance of getting a stiffer strap in non-Parapack cafe bags until they're all sold (and not returned).
    Pretty much all the current Cafe bags use the softer strap. Unless you have a small or medium Cordura cafe bag that stayed in stock from before November 2013, you have the softer strap. Looking at the current color combinations, I don't see any combinations on the product pages that are likely to have the stiff strap. My Azalea small Cafe Bag (with Portable Culture label) has the stiff strap, but that's the only one for me.

HTH. moriond
    eWalker likes this.

Love the purple overload! My plum/wasabi MCB went with me to the dentist today - perfect for carrying a knitting project to keep me distracted on the bus :)

I'm envious of the linen/steel SCB, though - I'd love a linen bag for summer, but thought that the navy lining of the recent batch was too dark.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Love the purple overload! My plum/wasabi MCB went with me to the dentist today - perfect for carrying a knitting project to keep me distracted on the bus :)

I'm envious of the linen/steel SCB, though - I'd love a linen bag for summer, but thought that the navy lining of the recent batch was too dark.
    It IS pretty great! It was my first TB bag! The only thing I would *maybe* change would be the new softer version of the strap that is on my new MCB, but that's it. Since it's just a SCB, the stiff strap doesn't bother me since the bag is never heavy. Whatevs! :)

I would probably kill for a Linen/Olive bag, though...maybe not. But that would be an amazing color combo!
    scribe and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    I would probably kill for a Linen/Olive bag, though...maybe not. But that would be an amazing color combo!
    Seconded! Let's hope we don't have to resort to homicide, though :)
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    I have a. MCB with the stiff strap - it's waiting for me to get it to a decent repairer to remove the strap so I can use it with the small version of the absolute strap i bought for it - i was planning on bringing it on my current trip but just couldn't use it with the stiff strap.

Otherwise i really like it ..
    Why donīt you send a email to TB customer service, they may help you out!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Why donīt you send a email to TB customer service, they may help you out!
    May be worth an inquiry, but FYI - I inquired about adding a no-slip grip pad to a bag I bought secondhand that had the pad cut off by the original owner. CS said that the cost of adding the pad is equivalent to building a new bag from scratch, as the strap has to be removed and all parts resewn together, so it was not a time-efficient project for them to take on. I can understand that.

I have a plum S19, FJN, pouches and probably something I'm not remembering. I love plum, aubergine is really nice but nothing beats plum.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I just picked up an Olive/Olive LCB and it seems to have the softer strap. (I started with Linen, but didn't like the Parapack lining). As for the missing grip, just get the Ultrasuede wrap. I use one on my MCB and it's very nice.

And keep an eye on EBay--I have a linen/Olive SCB from EBay and it is wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous collection!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0