Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: My Smart Alec rules Folklife

My Smart Alec rules Folklife

We went to Folklife today, Seattle's incredible free music festival that makes us all proud. We had a great time, and my Smart Alec was just the bee's knees. I almost took my Synapse 25, but when I put everything in it, I realized I couldn't grab things in and out of the main compartment as easily as I wanted. So I grabbed my Smart Alec, and VOILA! Everything was so accessible.

Throughout the day I would need to get to my camera, a snack bar, our water bottle, and Greg never even had to take off the bag. I just reached up, opened the flap, and then could take things in and out without anything falling out. I LOVE this bag, so much. For me, the Smart Alec is the One Backpack To Rule Them All. I know we all have our opinions on these things, but this bag, it just never lets me down.

Today was the first day I really used my external pouches, and they were great! It was so easy to reach in and grab snacks or my phone. The pouches really hold a lot, and yet their location makes it so easy to rummage through them when you need something fast. Here I just bought my Synapse 25 and my SA is really becoming my go-everywher bag. I could see someone traveling the world with this thing, easily. For now, I'll settle for the Pacific Northwest.

Name:  folklife01.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  697.3 KB
    Name:  folklife02.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  267.6 KB
    Name:  folklife05.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  242.5 KB

While Greg carried my Smart Alec, I carried my Nordic/Solar Side Effect on a cross-body strap, so that I could keep my money close at hand. Hey, you need to be able to buy things at Folklife! For instance, today I got a giant purple hula-hoop, and an event t-shirt. My daughter wanted to carry a Side Effect, too, for her chapstick and her own spending money, and so I let her borrow my old plum SE (with the waist straps cut off! oh those were the days). She loved it, and wants to keep it. I think I'll let her.

Name:  folklife03.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  208.4 KB
    Name:  folklife04.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  232.3 KB
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

It is always great to see owners of Tom Bihn luggage/EDC wares sharing photos of what these remarkable products look like when they are being worn. This is very helpful in getting a better idea what these products are like, not just in terms of aesthetics, but in practical terms of how they are worn and how they proportion with the human body.

Thank you.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Great pics! It looks like you had fun. The SE looks good on your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    It is always great to see owners of Tom Bihn luggage/EDC wares sharing photos of what these remarkable products look like when they are being worn. This is very helpful in getting a better idea what these products are like, not just in terms of aesthetics, but in practical terms of how they are worn and how they proportion with the human body.

Thank you.
    Yeah, it's funny, when I'm actually wearing the bags, I'm not really looking at them, I'm focused on wherever I'm at. But when I take pictures, and one of us in the family is wearing one of our Tom Bihn bags, I'm always struck by how great they look. They just look well-made, and elegant, and sharp. Which they are! But yeah, they're really great-looking bags. I feel so lucky to have found this brand, and been able to get the bags that I have. I'm very grateful.

Edited to add: What I wrote makes it sound like it's about appearances, and in some respects it is; we all have an aesthetic that appeals to us, and obviously all of us here like Tom Bihn's taste! But it's more than that. When I'm out, even just around town, I feel more secure knowing the things I'm carrying are in such great products.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

I love you pictures. They show how much fun you and your family have. What a great SA it is. So far this is my only deep regret: I missed the SA in nordic. But you, and everyone who takes pictures of it, make up for it because than I can look at this beauty. Your daughter looks so happy with your Side Effect. She is wearing it like a real bag-enthusiast. And I think beside the small cafe bag the Side Effect is the best choice for girls: It looks cute, provides space for personal belongings and cant get too heavy for this little backs.

Thanks for sharing!
    Ilkyway
    Hollie and eWalker like this.

Great photos! Its funny when we are out and wearing a TB bag I always tell my family who is posing for a picture to turn around SO I CAN SEE THE BAG! Never mind your faces...I want the bags on the pics...lol :)
    I just love them too...they are are so practical, smart, multifunctional and so uncluttered and clean and smart looking. You are always dressed perfectly with these bags, whether you are hiking or going to the office.
    I am always worried that they get stolen if we are unlucky to get burgled. Take whatever you want, but not my TB bags!

These pictures made me long for a SA now....I think I will never be "finished" with TB bags....*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post
    Great photos! Its funny when we are out and wearing a TB bag I always tell my family who is posing for a picture to turn around SO I CAN SEE THE BAG! Never mind your faces...I want the bags on the pics...lol :)
    I just love them too...they are are so practical, smart, multifunctional and so uncluttered and clean and smart looking. You are always dressed perfectly with these bags, whether you are hiking or going to the office.
    I am always worried that they get stolen if we are unlucky to get burgled. Take whatever you want, but not my TB bags!

These pictures made me long for a SA now....I think I will never be "finished" with TB bags....*sigh*
    I do the same thing! They'll start smiling and I'm like, "No, you guys, you're beautiful and all, but turn around, you're all wearing Tom Bihn, I need to get a photo....". They all snort and dutifully turn around, I love it. :)

I completely understand the burgling fear. I've been getting into emergency preparedness (I'm a ham radio operator and I volunteer with emergency services), and I keep wanting to put together a go bag for my car. This would be, for me, a backpack stored in the back of my wagon, so that if I need to leave it and walk home from wherever I am (in the event of a bad earthquake, the most likely scenario in my part of the country), or if I have to stay by my car and hang out for a few days, I have things I might need for myself and/or my kids.

When I've talked about what it would take to put this together, my husband will say, "Well heck, you have enough backpacks."

"But those are my TOM BIHN backpacks!", I tell him.

"Yeah but aren't they the most comfortable? If you get stranded somewhere, isn't that the pack you'd want to have?"

"Well YEAH, OBVIOUSLY, but that means I just have this awesome backpack hanging out my car year after year, waiting to get burgled. What if I lost this bag?"

"Don't they make more? Couldn't you buy another one?"

"Well, maybe, but things sometimes get retired, and besides, this is NORDIC. I'm not putting anything Nordic in the back of the car to live out its life. Are you kidding me? Maybe I should buy a couple more Smart Alecs in black, or something? Couldn't we call that an Emergency Preparedness expense?"

To which he will do his wonderful half-cocked eyebrow, like, "Well this IS a conundrum, isn't it?"

That made me laugh Hollie! You should def. buy a couple of more SA for this occasion...it fcould be a matter of life and death and one has to be prepared with the best that one can get. I think though that even with a new SA for this specific task you would cringe to leave it unused in the car day after day...:)

I envy all of your partners here on this forum...even suggesting to get another bag or even buying TB bags for their wifes!!!! My hubby is against all shopping and he would be horrified if he would know that I get my bags from America! Thank God he never looks at labels and if he asks if that bag is new...I just say "Nah, got if for ages.." It still kind of works. What was quoted in the Titanic movie.."The heart of a women is a deep ocean of secrets" ;-))))
    And he always says that he dislikes stuff made in China..so there you go. I am very proactive about it. :) So I dont only have an addiction to TB bags but a secret addiction.

That made me laugh Hollie! You should def. buy a couple of more SA for this occasion...it fcould be a matter of life and death and one has to be prepared with the best that one can get. I think though that even with a new SA for this specific task you would cringe to leave it unused in the car day after day...:)

I envy all of your partners here on this forum...even suggesting to get another bag or even buying TB bags for their wifes!!!! My hubby is against all shopping and he would be horrified if he would know that I get my bags from America! Thank God he never looks at labels and if he asks if that bag is new...I just say "Nah, got if for ages.." It still kind of works. What was quoted in the Titanic movie.."The heart of a women is a deep ocean of secrets" ;-))))
    And he always says that he dislikes stuff made in China..so there you go. I am very proactive about it. :) So I dont only have an addiction to TB bags but a secret addiction.
    Actually, he's brought that up. He's suggested that if I bought a spanking new Smart Alec, even in a color I wouldn't normally find attractive, that it would still cause me pain to pack it up and stick it in the back of the car. You're both right! It probably would. I have two old packs, other brands, that I will probably end up using for this project.

Oh, it would be hard to have this addiction and keep it secret! I feel for you!

Volunteer Moderator
    I am always worried that they get stolen if we are unlucky to get burgled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    I completely understand the burgling fear. I've been getting into emergency preparedness (I'm a ham radio operator and I volunteer with emergency services), and I keep wanting to put together a go bag for my car. This would be, for me, a backpack stored in the back of my wagon, so that if I need to leave it and walk home from wherever I am (in the event of a bad earthquake, the most likely scenario in my part of the country), or if I have to stay by my car and hang out for a few days, I have things I might need for myself and/or my kids.

When I've talked about what it would take to put this together, my husband will say, "Well heck, you have enough backpacks."

"But those are my TOM BIHN backpacks!", I tell him.

"Yeah but aren't they the most comfortable? If you get stranded somewhere, isn't that the pack you'd want to have?"

"Well YEAH, OBVIOUSLY, but that means I just have this awesome backpack hanging out my car year after year, waiting to get burgled. What if I lost this bag?"

"Don't they make more? Couldn't you buy another one?"

"Well, maybe, but things sometimes get retired, and besides, this is NORDIC. I'm not putting anything Nordic in the back of the car to live out its life. Are you kidding me? Maybe I should buy a couple more Smart Alecs in black, or something? Couldn't we call that an Emergency Preparedness expense?"

To which he will do his wonderful half-cocked eyebrow, like, "Well this IS a conundrum, isn't it?"
    I confess that I bought a second Synapse (19) in Indigo/Solar as a backup when they discontinued Solar for the first time, because I carry this bag all the time since the first Synapse release and production batch, and I couldn't stand the thought that if this bag ever got stolen (more likely than its wearing out) I wouldn't be able to replace it. (Indigo isn't available any more, either.). I bought the second to last Indigo/Solar Synapse. The last Indigo/Solar Synapse went to @falconea in Melbourne, Australia, who bought it as a backup for similar reasons. That's the only bag that I've backed up in that manner, though,

moriond

Oh, it would be hard to have this addiction and keep it secret! I feel for you![/QUOTE]

At least I have the forum here to share my secret addiction with. :-)

This so amused me on my school run that I tought I post it..thinking....how nice it would be to be married to a Bihnion. And we could start a dating thread for people looking for suitable partners. "Woman with an aubergine Aeronaut is looking for a man with a nordic dyneema Smart Alec"
    That would be SO funny...haha
    That takes the whole Bihnion thing to a new level. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I confess that I bought a second Synapse (19) in Indigo/Solar as a backup when they discontinued Solar for the first time, because I carry this bag all the time since the first Synapse release and production batch, and I couldn't stand the thought that if this bag ever got stolen (more likely than its wearing out) I wouldn't be able to replace it. (Indigo isn't available any more, either.). I bought the second to last Indigo/Solar Synapse. The last Indigo/Solar Synapse went to @falconea in Melbourne, Australia, who bought it as a backup for similar reasons. That's the only bag that I've backed up in that manner, though,

moriond
    You could always buy an SA off eBay... then it wouldn't be brand spanking new and you could bear to put it in your trunk! :D

I confess, I was actually thinking the other day that if the zombie apocalypse hit, all of the Bihnions would have amazing go bags already on them. They would become precious survival tools, hoarded and passed down generation to generation. ;P

Oooh, I just thought of a great birthday present for DD! Clear Organizer Pouch on a key strap with basic supplies (e.g. mini flashlight, bandaids, chap stick). And maybe a pen pouch on a key strap as well. She can never find anything in her school pack. This could be life-changing!! (I should get her an S19. Maybe when she starts middle school.)

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

moriond
    I've thought about doing this! I can't back up anymore Nordic, although that's okay, I guess I've taken enough from the Nordic world (I really need to get a photo of it all together, the depth of my addiction just can't be conveyed in words). But as products and colors do get retired, it does make you think, "Which one can't I really live without?", and what might you want to get a second one of, just to have in the wings for that terrible day that it disappears/gets stolen/is accidentally thrown into a threshing machine.

The Synapse 19 is a great bag to back up. I love mine. I think the back-up idea will serve me well when a new color comes out that I just can't live without.

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I confess, I was actually thinking the other day that if the zombie apocalypse hit, all of the Bihnions would have amazing go bags already on them. They would become precious survival tools, hoarded and passed down generation to generation. ;P
    Hahahahaha! You should see me when we're watching The Walking Dead! :) I'm always joking about how all they need is to get some Tom Bihn bags and a ham radio, and they'd all be so much better off! I'll forgive them for not looting the Tom Bihn store, since they're down south and the warehouse is all the way in Seattle, but they have no excuse not to loot a Radio Shack for some handhelds and batteries.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0