Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree164Likes

Thread: My Smart Alec rules Folklife

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    LOL - I just came across this review of the S25 by Black Scout Survival. I guess we aren't the only ones who think a Bihn bag is going to get us thru the zombie apocalypse! :D Nice to know an expert thinks so, too! ;)
    Now I can't stop looking at those videos, it's like the zombie movies come to life! So to speak.
    haraya likes this.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
    Now I can't stop looking at those videos, it's like the zombie movies come to life! So to speak.
    Should we go sign up for the Urban Escape & Evasion course? Except - my SA that is on the way is Aubergine. Doesn't exactly meet the Gray Man requirements, oops! ;)

I wondered that, too! Mine is Nordic Dyneema (of course). I was raising my eyebrows when he was talking about how well the S25 blends in, I thought, "Uhhh.....yeah.....I kind of like mine because it stands out...".

Well, of course you know what's coming next. Clearly this means we need to use our more bold, patterns/colors as our Peaceful Urban Excursion Pack, and then we need to buy a green or black one, as our Zombie Uprising Urban Excursion Pack. OBVIOUSLY.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Clearly this means we need to use our more bold, patterns/colors as our Peaceful Urban Excursion Pack, and then we need to buy a green or black one, as our Zombie Uprising Urban Excursion Pack. OBVIOUSLY.
    Nah, if we get caught out with our eye-popping Bihn bags, we'll just apply camouflage to the bright parts and keep going. (They clean up well, of course.) Or, y'know, throw your ninja hood over the top of your SA and keep walking... smoothly, so as not to attract any attention!

...alternately, immediately find the nearest window display with clothing that matches your bag, and loiter in front of it until the danger is past.

BUT, this does mean I must now equip my entire family with every possible combination of Bihn bags and accessories, so that we are prepared for any eventuality! :D (and don't forget caches, not to be confused with a Cache! Must keep an emergency TB bag within reach at all times!)

...I might need that survival training after all. :)

Eta: I do actually enjoy thinking thru worst-case scenarios and making plans. But am also pretty clear that in the event of a bear attack or alien invasion, I am likely to protect my family by being the slowest runner in the pack. :)
    Last edited by haraya; 06-03-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    Hollie and eWalker like this.

Should we go sign up for the Urban Escape & Evasion course? Except - my SA that is on the way is Aubergine. Doesn't exactly meet the Gray Man requirements, oops! ;)
    I think black and aubergine is subtle enough not to stand out - and definitely dark enough for night manoeuvres!

I'm currently rewatching a boxed set of "Dark Angel", a near-future SF series set in Seattle after an economic collapse, and I keep expecting to spot one of the cycle messenger characters toting a TB bag :)
    haraya and eWalker like this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I think black and aubergine is subtle enough not to stand out - and definitely dark enough for night manoeuvres!
    Yes, but what shall we do about poor Hollie and her Nordic?? Can't leave her to the zekes! :D

I'm currently rewatching a boxed set of "Dark Angel", a near-future SF series set in Seattle after an economic collapse, and I keep expecting to spot one of the cycle messenger characters toting a TB bag :)
    I remember when Battlestar Galactica (the reboot - shot in Vancouver) came out, it was fun to try and spot brands of things they had repurposed as 'futuristic' gear. I think there was some Lululemon (jackets/workout wear). The Viper helmets were bike or motorcycle helmets (Specialized?). And I was amused to note that one of the characters had the same coffee travel mug that we used - nothing fancy, just a silver-toned cup with rubber grip details.
    Last edited by haraya; 06-04-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Yes, but what shall we do about poor Hollie and her Nordic?? Can't leave her to the zekes! :D
    Mud. Only solution!

I remember when Battlestar Galactica (the reboot - shot in Vancouver) came out, it was fun to try and spot brands of things they had repurposed as 'futuristic' gear.
    I do this all the time. I remember ST:TNG used Bodum cups for Captain Picard's tea, presumably because they thought the glass-with-a-plastic-clipon-handle design looked futuristic. And in the original Star Trek series, a set of "futuristic" stainless steel salt and pepper pots were judged too unrecognisable (they were a visual clue in the "salt vampire" episode The Man Trap) so they ended up as Dr McCoy's medical instruments.

Yes, I am a card-carrying geek :)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Yes, I am a card-carrying geek :)
    Me too!!! *does the secret handshake*

in the original Star Trek series, a set of "futuristic" stainless steel salt and pepper pots were judged too unrecognisable, so they ended up as Dr McCoy's medical instruments
    Haha! I bet my hubs would know exactly the scene you are referring to, he is an old-skool Trek geek. I know we have those Bodum cups too, and I'm pretty sure DH bought them because they looked future-y, not because he knew Picard used them (but when we found out, we were pretty amused!).

Mud. Only solution!
    Where are we going to find mud in an urban combat situation?? We'd have to go into a vegetarian restaurant and borrow some of their organic black bean stew. Or something. :)
    Hollie and eWalker like this.

Where are we going to find mud in an urban combat situation??
    Alleys. They always seem to have dark wet grimy yuck underfoot, at least in rainy climates. We'll be safe in Seattle (or anywhere in the UK, for that matter) ;)
    Collections:

Nah, if we get caught out with our eye-popping Bihn bags, we'll just apply camouflage to the bright parts and keep going. (They clean up well, of course.) Or, y'know, throw your ninja hood over the top of your SA and keep walking... smoothly, so as not to attract any attention!

...alternately, immediately find the nearest window display with clothing that matches your bag, and loiter in front of it until the danger is past.

BUT, this does mean I must now equip my entire family with every possible combination of Bihn bags and accessories, so that we are prepared for any eventuality! :D (and don't forget caches, not to be confused with a Cache! Must keep an emergency TB bag within reach at all times!)

...I might need that survival training after all. :)

Eta: I do actually enjoy thinking thru worst-case scenarios and making plans. But am also pretty clear that in the event of a bear attack or alien invasion, I am likely to protect my family by being the slowest runner in the pack. :)
    Hahahahahaha! I loved the part about being the slowest runner, I'm in the same boat! I'm trying to get in shape, but it's slow going....

I love thinking through worst-case scenarios, too. I think sometimes it gives the wrong impression. For instance, I often carry around my handheld ham radio. Occasionally someone will see the antenna and ask what it is, and when I bring it out to show them, they say, "Why on earth do you carry that around?" I used to say, "Oh I'm a ham radio operator and it's just fun to have, I like to listen to my local repeater." But that usually makes their eyes glaze over, so with the goal of encouraging interest in amateur radio (I'm a founding member of The Juliets, a ham radio group for women), I began saying, "Well, it's a great form of back-up emergency communications in the event of an emergency," which will pique their interest for a few minutes, until they arrive at the conclusion that if I carry a ham radio around, I must be obsessed with disaster preparedness. I have to explain that no, I'm not obsessed, it's just fun! :)

I took an EMT class a few years ago, and my favorite part was at the end of every day where our teacher would spend half an hour throwing different scenarios at us and we'd have to quickly come up with solutions. My CERT training class also included scenarios that were really fun to try and control ("Okay, a 4-person Cessna has just crash landed on your company's lawn! There is visible fire in the tail, one person laying unconscious on the grass and three people still inside! What do you do? Now, GO!").

Thanks to the incredible rapidity of news media communication, we can be inundated with, to paraphrase Alice in Wonderland, "Twelve horrible things before breakfast." It's natural to feel afraid at the possibility of an event that we will have little control over. I think disaster preparedness can be very calming and help us feel empowered in the event of an emergency. Usually the people who panic the most are the ones who know least what to do.

I remember when Battlestar Galactica (the reboot - shot in Vancouver) came out, it was fun to try and spot brands of things they had repurposed as 'futuristic' gear. I think there was some Lululemon (jackets/workout wear). The Viper helmets were bike or motorcycle helmets (Specialized?). And I was amused to note that one of the characters had the same coffee travel mug that we used - nothing fancy, just a silver-toned cup with rubber grip details.
    Ahhhh, you and Scribe are geeks, too! SECRET HANDSHAKE INDEED! Oh I miss Battlestar Galactica. We loved the reboot.

As for me and my Nordic, I loved Scribe's idea of covering it in black beans! Lol! I'm mostly vegetarian and eat a lot of beans, so perhaps I should carry a can around with me as both protection against a possibly future zombie apocalypse and a great food source. BUT, my favorite solution comes from my husband, Greg. I was relaying this conversation to him this morning, and we were both laughing out loud, and he said, "Well, you guys haven't come up with the CLEAR and OBVIOUS solution."

"We've come up with mud, hoodie hoods, and black beans, what else is there?"

"If you really want to blend in, you need to cover the world in Nordic Dyneema."

Hahahahahaha! I loved the part about being the slowest runner, I'm in the same boat! I'm trying to get in shape, but it's slow going....

I love thinking through worst-case scenarios, too. I think sometimes it gives the wrong impression.
    I didn't realize until recently that my preparedness thing is a family trait. My mom, my aunt, and I were visiting my brother, and we happened to start talking about all the things we did in case of emergencies - have sturdy shoes by the bed at night in case you need to run (a very likely thing, growing up in earthquake country); have a flashlight handy; look for the nearest exit; and so on. Our spouses looked at each other in horror as they realized that they had married into a paranoid family. :)

Turns out my grandfather started the whole thing. He installed a fire alarm in their two-story, 8-room house in the middle of a very small town, and made his kids practice fire drills (as well as what to do when hearing gunshots - roll out of bed and crawl to an interior room). You can imagine how embarrassing that was to my mom and sister - the whole town knew exactly when they were doing drills! Anyway, they were kind enough to pass along this obsession to the next generation. And now I'm proud to say that my 9yo counts the number of doors to the exit when we check into a hotel room. ;P

I took an EMT class a few years ago, and my favorite part was at the end of every day where our teacher would spend half an hour throwing different scenarios at us and we'd have to quickly come up with solutions.
    I would LOVE to take a class like this!! I missed the instructor training at my dojo recently, but plan to take it when it comes up again.

I think disaster preparedness can be very calming and help us feel empowered in the event of an emergency. Usually the people who panic the most are the ones who know least what to do.
    So much yes. I think if I didn't rehearse (at least in my head) my responses to all these potential situations, I'd turn into an agoraphobe and never travel again. :) I find it very calming to plot my steps and line up all my gear. Or maybe I just like bags, and this is my justification! ;)

As for me and my Nordic, I loved Scribe's idea of covering it in black beans! Lol! I'm mostly vegetarian and eat a lot of beans, so perhaps I should carry a can around with me as both protection against a possibly future zombie apocalypse and a great food source. BUT, my favorite solution comes from my husband, Greg. I was relaying this conversation to him this morning, and we were both laughing out loud, and he said, "Well, you guys haven't come up with the CLEAR and OBVIOUS solution."

"We've come up with mud, hoodie hoods, and black beans, what else is there?"

"If you really want to blend in, you need to cover the world in Nordic Dyneema."
    I seriously lol'ed at that solution!! :D Perfect! :D

...and hey, the black beans were my suggestion! ;P But you forgot yet another use - weapon! Only good for slowing down one zombie, though, and after that you won't have food, so you'd better run fast! :DDD
    eWalker likes this.

The black beans were definitely not my suggestion, but if you want an awesome post-apocalyptic chilli, I'm your woman ;)

Apropos of nothing, I've just been reminded that Jensen Ackles' character in Dark Angel (set in Seattle in 2019) is called "Smart" Alec - I wonder if Tom is a fan of the show?
    Hollie likes this.
    Collections:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0