Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Traveling with the Brain Bag

Volunteer Moderator

Traveling with the Brain Bag

Didn't get pictures of it since I ran out the door in a hurry, but also in there was a 13" MacBook in a soft shell, an iPad mini, a book, various adapters, snacks, keys, and more!

I tucked my watch inside the Side Effect, and the Side Effect inside the Brain Bag, as I went through security.
    Last edited by maverick; 05-15-2014 at 03:25 PM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    By he way, the Side Effect is a great way to carry your passport, glasses, wallet, pen, a notepad, lotion and lip balm when traveling!

I did pull out my iPad mini from the Brain Bag during the flight, but otherwise, I had everything I needed or wanted to keep on me during the flight in the Side Effect. The Side Effect stayed on me quite comfortably while I slept during the flight. You can adjust the waist strap so that the buckle ends up not on your back side but to the left or right side - then you don't feel it if you're laying on your back!
    Last edited by maverick; 05-15-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    The raw vegetarian meal (RVML) proved to be a great choice - you don't want a big heavy meal when you're not going to have much activity!

Wow, is that a 3D Clear Org Cube for your toiletries? Impressive what you've gotten in there! I've had to transfer all my stuff into little bottles from the Container Store.

Hi Maverick,

Which packing cube did you use please (pics 1 & 2)?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    Wow, is that a 3D Clear Org Cube for your toiletries? Impressive what you've gotten in there! I've had to transfer all my stuff into little bottles from the Container Store.
    It is indeed, and I also added a 3oz dr. Bronners peppermint soap for doing laundry after I took that picture. It is a really fantastic cube!

I had dry toiletries loosely packed in a clear quarter organizer cube - it would have taken the liquids on one side, and the dry on the other. But I am flying through Doha, and they are very picky at security when you're flying back to the US from there, so I wanted to keep them separate.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    Hi Maverick,

Which packing cube did you use please (pics 1 & 2)?
    That is a Western Flyer / Tri-Star packing cube loosely packed with way more clothes than I have ended up needing for this trip (doing laundry). 4 t-shirts, 4 pairs of underwear, 2 yoga pants, 2 pairs of shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    That is a Western Flyer / Tri-Star packing cube loosely packed with way more clothes than I have ended up needing for this trip (doing laundry). 4 t-shirts, 4 pairs of underwear, 2 yoga pants, 2 pairs of shorts.
    Excellent! I don't need to buy anything else in order to use my BB for travel. Thanks :)

That meal looks yummy - which airline did you fly with?
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    That meal looks yummy - which airline did you fly with?
    I flew Qatar, but I see other airlines also offer it, including Singapore, Etihad, Thai. I am sure there are others - that was just from a quick google search for "RVML raw vegetarian."

There is also a Fruit Platter meal option - did that on Etihad in February, and it was great!

Volunteer Moderator
    Excellent! I don't need to buy anything else in order to use my BB for travel. Thanks :)
    Perhaps something to hold your toiletries? The 3d clear organizer pouch.

The Brain Bag is very versatile, and you can indeed travel with it - it just depends on what else you're carrying and how you want to organize your stuff.

I would suggest the use of the Tri-Star if you prefer or want the flexibility to carry it on your shoulder (with the Absolute Strap).

The Tri-Star and Brain Bag have a similar capacity.

The Brain Bag has compression straps if you're not carrying so much. The Tri-Star has a more structured look. The Brain Bag nicely accommodates a document tube, tripod, rolled up camping chair, etc. (though I would love to see lash strap fastening points on the "bottom" of the Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Aeronaut and Aeronaut 30 to accommodate such items! By bottom, I mean the side opposite of where the poron filled grab handles/wrap around handle on the Aeronaut are).
    WMW40 and Ilkyway like this.
    -m

Perhaps something to hold your toiletries? The 3d clear organizer pouch.

The Brain Bag is very versatile, and you can indeed travel with it - it just depends on what else you're carrying and how you want to organize your stuff.

I would suggest the use of the Tri-Star if you prefer or want the flexibility to carry it on your shoulder (with the Absolute Strap).

The Tri-Star and Brain Bag have a similar capacity.
    Oh, I already have 3d clear organiser pouch or ....<cough> several :)

I've (we've) just sold my (our) Tri-Stars since we barely use them. We mostly use our Western Flyers, but may want to use our Brain Bags for the odd time we need a larger capacity (Christmas springs to mind). I've not really looked at packing cubes for the BB though, until I saw your photos.

I flew Qatar, but I see other airlines also offer it, including Singapore, Etihad, Thai. I am sure there are others - that was just from a quick google search for "RVML raw vegetarian."
    Ah - I thought it must be an airline in the Far East. Not much chance of that kind of food in transatlantic economy class :(
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Ah - I thought it must be an airline in the Far East. Not much chance of that kind of food in transatlantic economy class :(
    Actually, take a look at http://www.happycow.net/travel/air_travel.html

I think RVML is fairly new - give it a little time and we should hopefully see it adopted more broadly.

You can always bring your own meal aboard. I try to pack some fruit, trail mix, bars, stuff like that, just in case.

Just remember to eat the fruit/salad/etc. before entering a customs checkpoint - many countries, the. US included, don't allow you to bring in certain foods, including raw fruits and vegetables.

Volunteer Moderator
    Oh, I already have 3d clear organiser pouch or ....<cough> several :)

I've (we've) just sold my (our) Tri-Stars since we barely use them. We mostly use our Western Flyers, but may want to use our Brain Bags for the odd time we need a larger capacity (Christmas springs to mind). I've not really looked at packing cubes for the BB though, until I saw your photos.
    I have also carried the Aeronaut packing cube backpack in my Brain Bag, but I prefer the fit of the Western Flyer packing cube inside the Brain Bag.
    WMW40 likes this.
    -m

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0