Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: What's in your bag? My SE and everyday stuff

What's in your bag? My SE and everyday stuff

I'm posting this, in part, in response to scribe's comment regarding how we carry coins found in another thread. I really don't have a good way to do that. A DOP will be in my order today. The kiwi-ish colored wallet in the bottom right is how I currently carry bills and coins. It's a Butterfly Wallet. It is skinny and doesn't take up much room but really doesn't work well for coins. I'm always looking for a better way. What do you carry in your bag?
    Moose

Name:  SE contents.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  37.1 KB
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

@Moose, I love your "what's in your bag" photo. [I confess, I have been known to while away an hour looking at such photos on Flickr. The Persona diptych series by Jason Travers is my favorite; if you have time, you should check it out.]

I agree, carrying coins is a challenge, especially if you want to keep them together with your paper bills. I've tried separating them—currency in one wallet, coins in a separate coin purse—and that's always a pain when you're standing at a cash register trying to come up with the correct amount. I've also tried the TB Mini Organizer Wallet, and found it too difficult to get my fingers inside and dig out the coins.

What I've just started using last week is a very slim Coach wallet that I bought on eBay. I'm able to keep my most-used plastic cards along with cash in it, and then I use a zippered pocket on the back for coins. It's amazingly thin, even stuffed full, and it fits beautifully in my Side Effect with plenty of room to spare for my iPhone, a Mini OP with earbuds, keys, and much more if I want to carry that. I will try to find a moment to take a photo of my SE with its contents later today.

~Nancy
    Moose likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I agree, carrying coins is a challenge, especially if you want to keep them together with your paper bills. I've tried separating them—currency in one wallet, coins in a separate coin purse—and that's always a pain when you're standing at a cash register trying to come up with the correct amount. I've also tried the TB Mini Organizer Wallet, and found it too difficult to get my fingers inside and dig out the coins.
    I currently use a Small Double Organizer Pouch -- paper bills in the back pocket and coins in the front, clear one. It is larger than I would like but works well for me because my cash is together in one pouch. Before the DOP was introduced, I used 2013's surprise gift for my coins -- and I put the surprise gift holding coins into a Small Dyneema Organizer Pouch, along with paper bills. Together but separate.
    Moose likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

ncb4, the larger wallet looking thing in the photo is a Coach wristlet. I love it! I have others but they are medium to large in size. I may have to check out the smaller ones. Thanks for the idea.

Would love to see your bag picture too.

I wish I could say I cannot imagine spending hours looking at bag contents photos, but alas, I cannot. :) I will check out your link. Probably before bed time.
    Last edited by Moose; 05-12-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    ncb4 likes this.

I have a small DOP in the back pocket of my SE with coins in the clear pocket and cards in the back pocket (which I don't bother to zip up). It's a slightly tight fit height-wise, but it works, and I like it better than the org wallet as the coins always migrated around.

In my SE, I carry keys in the outside zipper pocket. On the inside of the SE, my Iphone snugs into one pocket and a tiny moleskin notebook in the other. In the central compartment, I use a small clear OP for hearing aid batteries, nail clipper, small pkts. of pain reliever and daily meds, sweetner. The small OP has worked better for me in this bag as I can also distribute contents vertically as opposed to a wider lump of stuff which made packing all this stuff in the SE somewhat daunting.Then comes my TB wallet with paper money and cards, the nano pouch for coins, and a pen resting at the bottom. On occasion, when in more serious shopping mode, I add an organizer pouch containing seldom used cards. If carrying my steel dyneema SE, I can fit in my Ipad Mini as needed. If carrying my cordura ones, this really doesn't work with any grace. This summer I am biting the bullet (I tend to greatly dislike flaps and vertical orientation) and carrying a SCB as I gave needed to add sunglasses and sunscreen. I could also possibly stuff a light jacket in the bottom as the day warms.
    ncb4 and Moose like this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

As I promised, here are the "what's in my bag" photos of my Nordic Side Effect. I'm astounded how much I can fit into it. [This is equally true of my Wasabi SE, and my 1st-generation Indigo SE. My gorgeous Aubergine Ballistic SE, however, is more slim and trim and won't accept as much stuff.]

Name:  DSCF6663 - Version 2.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  639.0 KB

Name:  DSCF6672.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  472.0 KBName:  Side.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  414.5 KB

1. Kindle Paperwhite in its rooCase. [This just burned out yesterday, by the way, but Amazon is replacing it for free although it was three weeks out of warranty. Thank you, Amazon.]

2. Coach Darcy wallet in Pomegranate: I just got this, and it holds an amazing amount yet still stays thin, so it fits beautifully inside the SE with plenty of room to spare.

3. iPhone 4S in wool felt slipcase

4. Earbuds in Wasabi Small OP. The OP is clipped to one of the O-rings in the side of the main compartment.

5. Two Levenger Pocketini pens and extra-small Moleskine notebook in UV Dyneema Small OP. I usually slip this in the back zippered pocket.

6. Car/house keys on Crimson Key Strap. I can't decide which works best: carrying the keys in the main compartment or in the zippered back pocket. I keep it clipped to the central o-ring in the main compartment.

7. Mad money in mini OP in Steel Parapack that I received as a gift from the wonderful folks at TB at Christmas. I don't need this when I've got my wallet, but I like to carry it with me on my daily walks, especially in the summer, in case I want to stop somewhere and get something tall and icy to drink. I keep this in one of the slip pockets in the main compartment.

8. In the other slip pocket, I keep an optical cloth: for my iPhone, my sunglasses, my camera.

If I don't have the Kindle, I can put my sunglasses in the SE effect as well. When I do that, I keep it separate from my keys: so either the keys or the sunglasses go in the back zip pocket.

~Nancy

No photos atm, but my olive/UV EDC SE has:

Outside pocket:
    * Mini OP (olive) with paracetamol, antacidss, plasters, small wooden comb, contact lens comfort drops
    * Lipstick (Bare Minerals) and lip balm (Burt's Bees)
    * "Signature" Swiss Army Knife - mostly because it has tiny scissors!

Inner pockets:
    * iPhone and stylus
    * Couple of extra-small Moleskines
    * Zebra Expandz ballpen (I have several of these)

Main section:
    * Bellroy Hide'n'Seek slimline wallet
    * Golunski coin purse in shades of purple, with keyring left outside zip so I can attach it to a key strap
    * Pocket pouch (aubergine/wasabi) with Apple earbuds
    * Keys on olive keystrap

Usually I have reading glasses in the main compartment as well, but I've damaged one of my contact lenses and am waiting for a replacement...
    ncb4, Moose and WenV like this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

So many cool little goodies in your SE, @scribe. I see you love shades of purple as much as I do! And I followed the links you embedded for both the Hide-n-Seek wallet and the Zebra Expandz pen: quite intriguing. If you get a chance, I'd love to see a photo of your gear.

~Nancy

Ah Bellroy!
    One of their passport wallets is a resident in my Solar Side Effect.
    Incidentally, the Bellroy website was what led me to Carryology, which in turn pointed me to Tom Bihn. :)

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    To the coin dilemma:
    I currently keep it in the rear pocket of my big skinny executive phone wallet until I get home and it all goes into my savings jar.
    I don't have a DOP, but I would think it would work nicely, when I preciously was using the original COW, a second mini pouch held my coin.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Name:  TomBihnPilot007_zps41c6ba45.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  149.0 KB
    Name:  TomBihnPilot009_zps85052961.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  154.7 KB
    My black dyneema SE.
    Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel Aeronaut, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes. Tom Bihnaholic.

Thats so funny! Ihave the same Bear Grylls/Gerber knife in the same pocket of my SE....:)

Shouldnt really carry a knife around, but my grandfather always said to have one "in case you ever have to cut yourself loose!" :)
    ncb4, Moose and scribe like this.

You Grandfather was a smart man.

I come from a family where everyone had a pocket knife every day. I think no more of it than if I'm carring a quarter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0