Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: What's in your bag? My SE and everyday stuff

Volunteer Moderator
    @Ilkyway What color is the 8-inch key strap attached to your car keys? From the side view in the middle picture, I would have guessed this is plum, but the contrasting flash of color in the center of your Side Effect shown in the bottom picture makes this look like storm.

Here's the product page image with the original Cordura key strap colors:
    Name:  72c4e387531fdd81711b175dc80424e4.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  34.2 KB

The 8-inch key strap colors are Olive, Plum, Black, and Storm. (There also used to be Crimson, before that color was discontinued). The 16-inch key strap colors are Black, Cayenne, Wasabi, and Sapphire.

I miss the range of Cordura colors in the key straps. Only Olive appears to be available now.

Also, @Ilkyway what color is your Clear Organizer Wallet? (It's always a problem that if you show the contents view of the front of the wallet, you can't show the back view with the wallet's color).

Great looking Aubergine/Wasabi Side Effect!

moriond

Edited this post to put back the original image of the keystrap colors referenced at the time of posting (rescued from a Pinterest post). I originally included a link to the name of the keystrap image on the product page image like this, where the image pointed to a product page jpeg:

This image name was reused, and points to a different image now (not the one I referenced at the time I posted). So the editing changes now force versions of the referenced images to be loaded to the attachments gallery at the time they are "attached" for long-term accuracy. And in case the above jpeg image changes again, these are the new (current as of the time of editing on 18 September 2014) key straps, saved as an attachment:

Name:  TB0513_01b.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  63.8 KB

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 09-13-2014 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Fixed the key strap images to match the ones used at the time of the original post
    Ilkyway likes this.

The keystrap is plum. It was my first TB-order and I did not know than, that these colors would go away so fast. It is my only short keytrap in a color (not counting black as it is supposed to be no color or so my physics teacher tolled me ;-) )
    My clear organizer wallets are aubergine, steel dynemma and nordic dynemma. In the picture it is the nordic one. I have to tell you I would love a storm keystrap! Olive is not my kind of color though.

PS: this Side Effect looks so good with an aubergine Smart Alec so if you do not have the SE jet... I know you have the SA... ;-)
    icebeng likes this.

@Ilkyway, not only do I have an Aubergine SE, I have that a mini brown-leather wallet that looks almost exactly like yours! We're twins.

~Nancy

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    PS: this Side Effect looks so good with an aubergine Smart Alec so if you do not have the SE jet... I know you have the SA... ;-)
    @Ilkway, Aubergine/Wasabi was the first Side Effect I ordered, and if you read my comments toward the end of the Recovery from TBAS thread that @Moose started, along with a posted picture of a Side Effect in Aubergine/Ultraviolet, you'll see that I've also ordered an Aubergine/UV SE. I have one Storm Key Strap, and it looks better in that Aubergine/UV Side Effect. (The Storm Blue color goes well with both the Aubergine and Ultraviolet -- even better than with Aubergine and Wasabi. Also, my earlier Aubergine/Wasabi SE has black cord pulls, and the Storm Key Strap also looks good against the gun metal gray zippers that are used with the current versions of the Side Effects).

However, when I use a Side Effect to carry an iPad Mini and Kindle Paperwhite, I have to use one of the 400d Dyneema Side Effects to fit these items. And so, I tend to use the Black 400d Dyneema/Wasabi SE that was my first 400d Dyneema SE. I wish we could revive the colourful Cordura key straps.

moriond

Ah moriond you are totally right and I had totally read that threat. BUT I lack your phenomenal memory (which combined with your helpful attitude does this forum so much good.). It was late in the evening when I wrote my suggestion. Smile about me and do not think about it no longer.

I can totally believe that the storm keychain looks stunning in the aubergine/ultraviolet Side Effect. Maybe when the stress the TB-Crew is facing right now we will see Kelly and French Blue Keystraps? I'd like that.
    icebeng likes this.

I would love a Storm keystrap. I'll even settle for a 2 inch one if they can make one out of fabric remnants!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    In my SE, I carry keys in the outside zipper pocket. On the inside of the SE, my Iphone snugs into one pocket and a tiny moleskin notebook in the other. In the central compartment, I use a small clear OP for hearing aid batteries, nail clipper, small pkts. of pain reliever and daily meds, sweetner. The small OP has worked better for me in this bag as I can also distribute contents vertically as opposed to a wider lump of stuff which made packing all this stuff in the SE somewhat daunting.Then comes my TB wallet with paper money and cards, the nano pouch for coins, and a pen resting at the bottom. On occasion, when in more serious shopping mode, I add an organizer pouch containing seldom used cards. If carrying my steel dyneema SE, I can fit in my Ipad Mini as needed. If carrying my cordura ones, this really doesn't work with any grace. This summer I am biting the bullet (I tend to greatly dislike flaps and vertical orientation) and carrying a SCB as I gave needed to add sunglasses and sunscreen. I could also possibly stuff a light jacket in the bottom as the day warms.
    I totally agree about flaps and vertical orientation. I am currently using an Eagle Creek bag with a flap and often want to hurl it out of the car window when trying to find something not in the flap area.

Vivelly - I am born and bred kiwi, now expat in the M.E and we have a large stash if TB bags. Most of which make a twice annual trip back to NZ - aeronauts x 2 plus copilot plus synapses plus packing cubes plus plus plus. These bags travel the work with us. That said, once when inDubai, I was spotted by a young woman from the states enroute to India with my twin aeronaut. Keep your eyes open for TB luggage twice a year in NZ!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thought I'd revive this thread to show my everyday carry -- well, purse -- a Medium Cafe Bag that I bought for my first solo trip abroad nearly three years ago!

Currently carrying: Crocheted hat, RayBan Classic Wayfarers and case, backup battery for devices, pens and Sharpies, Louis Vuitton monogrammed leather wallet, change purse for transit cards, snacks, conductive thread gloves, iPad 2 (yikes, I need something lighter), bike lights, carabiner with house keys, car keys, gym locker key, and bike lock key, lighter, gum, iPod, headphones, and my pitiful excuse for an TSA-friendly makeup bag.

Considering: A KeySmart to manage keys, a real makeup bag of some sort!
    Name:  IMG_8352.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  314.2 KB

I decided last night a SE would be my next bag. And this thread has me thinking I may order it before Christmas, instead of waiting until afterwards. I mean... Santa deserves a gift too. Or, to be honest, maybe three TB gifts. ^_^ Not that I already got myself a couple TB somethings. Ho, ho, ho!

What's in your bag? My SE and everyday stuff

Quote Originally Posted by cubane View Post
    Considering: A KeySmart to manage keys, a real makeup bag of some sort!
    I can highly recommend the KeySmart. Mine holds my 3 house keys and a mailbox key without the use of an extension post.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418825379.680077.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  209.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418825419.715139.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  173.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by cubane View Post
    Thought I'd revive this thread to show my everyday carry -- well, purse -- a Medium Cafe Bag that I bought for my first solo trip abroad nearly three years ago!

Currently carrying: Crocheted hat, RayBan Classic Wayfarers and case, backup battery for devices, pens and Sharpies, Louis Vuitton monogrammed leather wallet, change purse for transit cards, snacks, conductive thread gloves, iPad 2 (yikes, I need something lighter), bike lights, carabiner with house keys, car keys, gym locker key, and bike lock key, lighter, gum, iPod, headphones, and my pitiful excuse for an TSA-friendly makeup bag.
    Thanks for reviving the thread! I love to see what others carry in their TB bags, and as the MCB is currently my EDC, this is even better!

FWIW, I made the switch from a beat-up ziploc bag to a 3D Clear Organizer Cube for my 3-1-1 bag and I haven't looked back. Love love love that bag for travel. That being said, I usually carry a separate bag for my non-liquid toiletries when traveling because the 3D organizer cube isn't quite big enough. (When not traveling, I don't carry much "makeup" beyond some pressed powder and tinted lip balm.)
    much love for parapack

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    I can highly recommend the KeySmart. Mine holds my 3 house keys and a mailbox key without the use of an extension post.
    I've never seen one of those. I got all excited about getting one for my husband, then realized that we have stupid car keys, the kind with the remote built in. I hate them. I tried to get a non-remote key so that I wouldn't have to carry the electronic part while running and the hardware store couldn't/wouldn't do it. I might try one for my office keys, though. They're on a lanyard that I wear because that's the only way I won't leave them behind in a storage room and they jingle annoyingly, even with rubber rings on them.

Someday I'll do what others have done and tally all the cool things I've learned from this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by binje View Post
    I've never seen one of those. I got all excited about getting one for my husband, then realized that we have stupid car keys, the kind with the remote built in. I hate them. I tried to get a non-remote key so that I wouldn't have to carry the electronic part while running and the hardware store couldn't/wouldn't do it. I might try one for my office keys, though. They're on a lanyard that I wear because that's the only way I won't leave them behind in a storage room and they jingle annoyingly, even with rubber rings on them.

Someday I'll do what others have done and tally all the cool things I've learned from this forum.
    A loop piece is included with every KeySmart and that can be used to attach car keys. They come in lots of bright colours AND.......there's a 15% off coupon on the website today (www.getkeysmart.com - no affiliation, just a satisfied customer) 😀

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    A loop piece is included with every KeySmart and that can be used to attach car keys. They come in lots of bright colours AND.......there's a 15% off coupon on the website today (www.getkeysmart.com - no affiliation, just a satisfied customer) 😀
    Agreed! I love the slimmer profile of the KeySmart -- especially when going for a run. No more giant, jangly keychain!
    Collections:
    EDC for Work: SA (with cache) + CP (with workout gear) + SE
    EDC for Play: SA + SE/CP + SE
    Travel: SA + SE + CP
    Organisation: Large + Medium YSS, Small + Medium DOP, 3DCO, 3DMO, Small WFPC, TT, Q-Kit!
    Favorite TB colors: black dyneema, forest + conifer, wasabi, iberian, olive, burnt orange
    On my wish list: Large WFPC, Snake Charmer, DLBP, Q-Kits + LS (for my crafty sister)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0