Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: New packing cube shoulder bags

Ah thanks, llkyway,
    I've both types of Dyneema for about nearly 2 weeks, and despite handling them on a daily basis, I've only just noticed the difference!
    In fact, if not for bchaplin's close up photo at the start of this thread, I probably wouldn't have looked closer.
    Another thing is, I've also realized that 200d and 400d can be identified by touch alone.
    Slow huh? But I think I just took my TB geekness to another level lol

@scribe
    yeah, I agree that it's probably for strength, but it works great for aesthetic purposes too! ^.^

Though I'm wondering why the 400d doesn't have it, overkill perhaps? lol
    Last edited by icebeng; 05-09-2014 at 08:25 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I noticed that too! The 400d is a straightforward grid, like quadrille paper, whereas the 200d has the glossy diagonal lines creating a diamond pattern when it catches the light. Maybe, as Ilkyway says, it's to add strength in the lighter weight fabric?
    The earliest 200d Dyneema packing cubes that were made did not have those diamond textured lines, and the color for steel also shifted between tones as dark as black and lighter shades of steel gray. I have a set of Aeronaut packing cubes from their first production batch. The diamond pattern lines in the Dyneema products were added a short while later.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-09-2014 at 10:07 AM.

@moriond I'd noticed that my steel packing cubes were a lot darker than most of the product photos - I wasn't sure if that was the lighting or not, as the other dyneema colours are richer "in the flesh" than in a photo.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    In fact, if not for bchaplin's close up photo at the start of this thread, I probably wouldn't have looked closer.
    Another thing is, I've also realized that 200d and 400d can be identified by touch alone.
    Slow huh? But I think I just took my TB geekness to another level lol
    @icebeng I can tell the tactile difference between 400d Dyneema from the first Steel and Nordic releases of bags in that material and the batches currently being produced in terms of prominence of the grid pattern to the touch. It was noticeable that when the first batch of Black 400d Dyneema was released I couldn't feel this grid pattern on the surface, in distinct contrast to the 400d Steel and Nordic fabrics in their early batches. My old Aeronaut packing cubes look close to the current black Dyneema but feel as though they are about the weight if the 200d fabric-- maybe slightly heavier weight, but a smoother overall texture than the current 400d black, because you can't feel the texture of the larger fiber weave.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-09-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    icebeng likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    @moriond I'd noticed that my steel packing cubes were a lot darker than most of the product photos - I wasn't sure if that was the lighting or not, as the other dyneema colours are richer "in the flesh" than in a photo.
    @scribe I've noticed that the shade of steel has varied between different production batches over time. The current Steel, which I have just received for the Large and Small Shop Bags, is darker than the 400d Steel Dyneema used in my Synapse 25 (received in April 2012). it is also darker than most of my 200d Steel Dyneema accessories, and the Aeronaut Packing Cube BackPack from the first release if that product. You'd have to find a Steel aficionado like @kkintea who constantly buys Steel Dyneema products to keep track of these sorts of variations.

moriond
    kkintea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @scribe I've noticed that the shade of steel has varied between different production batches over time. The current Steel, which I have just received for the Large and Small Shop Bags, is darker than the 400d Steel Dyneema used in my Synapse 25 (received in April 2012). it is also darker than most of my 200d Steel Dyneema accessories, and the Aeronaut Packing Cube BackPack from the first release if that product. You'd have to find a Steel aficionado like @kkintea who constantly buys Steel Dyneema products to keep track of these sorts of variations.

moriond
    I just took a look at my "oldest" steel dyneema, a shop bag circa 2009, and it does have the diamond pattern in it. I never noticed it before! I do have a lot of steel in general, but some of it is the 400d, which consistently appears darker to me.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I just took a look at my "oldest" steel dyneema, a shop bag circa 2009, and it does have the diamond pattern in it. I never noticed it before! I do have a lot of steel in general, but some of it is the 400d, which consistently appears darker to me.
    @kkintea I agree that the 400d Steel Dyneema is consistently darker than the 200d weight. And looking more closely, the color of steel on my Steel 400d Dyneema/wasabi Synapse 25 does seem consistent with the Steel of the new shop bags.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    You know what, I couldn't have been luckier with this Dyneema shortage. When I travelled last summer my Iberian PCSB became my everyday carry even though I had brought along my small café bag. It was light and able to carry a lot of stuff, ie lunch, snacks, maps and guidebooks, water bottle, camera, sunglasses, etc. It lacked structure though, so it was lumpy-looking and at times I was stabbed in the sides by pointier objects. When I got back home, I realized what would have been the perfect bag was a 400d dyneema PCSB. I didn't think it would happen but a year later, it did and I lucked out big time! I got my Nordic PCSB in the mail today and it is perfect!!! It's so solid and such a nice colour. It's just a shame that it's a once in a lifetime option. There needs to be more of these.
    @Lime and others,
    I also have the earlier PCSBs (one in steel from the original release, and a later one in Iberian). The 400d PCSBs that just arrived are the first ones that I've owned with o-Rings. But I have to say that it is the 400d weight that makes the biggest difference in the use of this product as a shoulder bag instead of a packing cube. You can read my August 2008 posted reply about this bag in the Convertible Packing Cube/Shoulder Bag thread. There's quite a lot more in the post, but I'll excerpt a bit, that was written in reply to someone who was considering using this as his new EDC based on its description:

The main thing you might want to consider is what you plan to routinely carry in this bag. Because it is light-weight, flexible, and a good size (13.5" long), it's not going to hold its shape if you attach it to a strap while empty; and if there are only a few small, weighty objects in it the bag will sag. On the other hand, if you're carrying a light jacket, or maps in the outer zip pocket, this works well, and holds up in the rain. Apart from the zippered pocket outside, you don't get the same kind of organization you do with the Imago, and there are no o-rings inside. Structurally, again, this makes sense in view of the light-weight nature of the Dyneema fabric. Of course, you can use (unclipped) organizer pouches inside.
    A few weeks ago, in the 3 weeks in the UK with my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag thread, I posted:
    @lacyfinn I'll see whether the 400d PCSB strikes a better balance for me than the 200d Dyneema in the PCSB. If you haven't tried the 400d Dyneema, for example, in the Shop Bags, the texture is slightly more fabric-like but there's still a pliability that I don't find in Parapack. The main issue for me with the 200d Dyneema in the PCSB is that if you're carrying something small and heavier, like a camera, and the rest of the bag is not carrying jackets etc. that fill it up, the PCSB will sag around that item, so it will work well if there are other items to fill out the bag and make it hold its shape, but won't work as well when it is nearly empty (except for those items).

From the experience of the Shop Bags, Side Effect, and Swift/Little Swift, I expect to find the 400d Dyneema PCSB will still conform to my body.

moriond
    Just as @Lime stated, I feel that the 200d Dyneema shortage has resulted in a great option for the PCSB that I have wanted for a long time.

moriond

I screwed up. Just started packing for my trip on Tuesday and of course the first thing I packed was my black Dyneema PCSB. I should have bought 2 maybe 3 with 1 being for my wife. And a PCBP. Might be ordering a couple more soon as an early birthday present. Sad to see there won't be anymore 400d PCSB. They feel so substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I have a totally nooby question as well, the 200d Dyneema fabric has, how do I describe this, invisible lines running diagonally to the white Dyneema grid lines,but am I right to say the 400d Dyneema fabric does not have this characteristic?
    Good question. In another thread, moriond posted a link to the TB Introduction to 400d Dyneema

Introducing 400d Dyneema®/nylon - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington

In it, there is a comment on the diamond pattern and why it is not on the 400d Dyneema version:

"Additionally, the new 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop is a plain weave and thus lacks the fancy diamond pattern of the 200d; we feel this makes for a more straightforward, subtle, and visually appealing exterior fabric"

The diamond pattern seems to be more about the look than any structural strengthening.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

P.S. TB Crew - I think it would be a great fit if the 400d Dyneema introduction link could be available from the Materials and Design part of your blog:

Materials and Design Archives - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-09-2014 at 11:13 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

So I missed out on the special edition 400d black dyneema accessories :( , being busy and all, and who would have thought they would sell out quite so quickly. I will get over it I guess.... I JUST WISH THE 30' WIDE VIDEO SCREEN WOULD QUIT RUBBING IT IN MY FACE!!!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  872.4 KB

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miking View Post
    So I missed out on the special edition 400d black dyneema accessories :( , being busy and all, and who would have thought they would sell out quite so quickly. I will get over it I guess.... I JUST WISH THE 30' WIDE VIDEO SCREEN WOULD QUIT RUBBING IT IN MY FACE!!!
    @Miking. There's still the 400d Steel PCBP for either the Tri-Star/WF or the Aeronaut. And the 400d Steel is darker than the 200d Steel, if not quite as dark as the Black 400d Dyneema.

moriond
    dorayme and Miking like this.

@Miking
    That put a grin on my face :D
    Think about it this way though, most of us buy TB gear to match our attire and working environment.
    I do believe you have the 1st documented case of your work surroundings being set up to match your TB gear! ^.^

May I point out the the Packing Cube Backpacks in 400d Nordic Dyneema for the Aeronaut are still currently available for order, if you act now? That's probably because they are still listed on back order, and nobody has received and posted a picture yet. Usually, once you wait that long, a wave of orders immediately follows the posted picture, and that clears out the stock. The Nordic packing cube shoulder bags were still available for order for some hours after @bchaplin posted the product link in this thread.

I'm only mentioning this because that's the other item you expressed interest in. The PCBP in Nordic Dyneema for the Tri-Star/Western Flyer can also still currently be ordered.

HTH. moriond
    Thanks a lot @moriond. I missed the chance on the shoulder bags (ended up buying six on 200 Dyneema) but got the "mega power ranger transformer" packing cube backpacks! ;)

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    moriond likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

In the midst of all the excitement on receiving my goodies, there is a small question I forgot to ask.
    The webpage for the Packing Cube Shoulder bags state that "We don't include a shoulder strap with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag..."
    But both my black and nordic PCSBs arrived with Simple Shoulder Straps installed! @scribe's photo shows one freshly out of the box with Strap installed too. Is the strap a gift from the TB crew?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0