Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Photo Request: Smart Alec on a 5'3" person

Photo Request: Smart Alec on a 5'3" person

Hi everyone! I'm considering getting an all-black Smart Alec with the upper modular pocket, but am only 5'3". Would anyone around my height care to share pics of themselves carrying a SA? I'm a bit worried that it will overwhelm me, and the SA with a few bells and whistles will cost a pretty penny.

The reason I'm not getting a S19 is because I need some extra height and depth in my bag. I'll be working in a law firm, and the average legal reference book is around 3" thick and files can go up to 16" in length. Whatever bag I get will be used to haul files and books home from work on the train, when things get nasty.

Any general bag advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 05-03-2014 at 10:00 PM.

@adalangdon, I am 5'3" and posted 2 photos of myself wearing an Aubergine SA in this thread First Trip with the Smart Alec as a Camera Bag. You'll need to scroll through the photos. FWIW, I love the SA and actually have two -- an Aubergine/Black/Wasabi as my dedicated camera backpack and a Forest/Black/Ultraviolet for day trips and overnighters.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I'm very glad this was asked and pictures were posted by taminca. I was wondering the same thing and I'm 5'2". I have an S19 and it's too small for my purposes and the Smart Alec looks like it could be a fairly versatile bag, serving purposes for both office and outdoor adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch17 View Post
    I'm very glad this was asked and pictures were posted by taminca. I was wondering the same thing and I'm 5'2". I have an S19 and it's too small for my purposes and the Smart Alec looks like it could be a fairly versatile bag, serving purposes for both office and outdoor adventures.
    The SA is indeed versatile, @gretch17, and I use it much more often than the S25, which is similar in capacity but organized differently. I have an overnight business trip next week and am test-packing my Forest SA as my single travel bag.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Hello

For pictures, check out this post link:

Woah cool, the Guide's Pack!

In the post, there is a picture comparison of the S19, Smart Alec and Guide's pack. The poster, tCook is 5'3" based in that person's comments later on in the thread - excellent pic tCook!

Also, though she does not show a Smart Alec, perhaps this excellent previous post by dorayme (5'2") will help. She has done an excellent job showing how many backpacks fit (Synapse 25, 19, Brain Bag, Western Flyer, etc)

Who says short people can't carry big bags?

I would say that the Smart Alec would be slightly less wide than the Brain Bag but the same general shape (broad on top like the Brain Bag as opposed to the Synapse 25).

Here is also a YouTube video of someone showing their Smart Alec (I think this person is a forum member too). The person may be a bit taller but it may give you some more context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-BrZ6uDIkQ

Hope this helps

Cheers!

BTW - IMHO, I do not think the Smart Alec will be overwhelming.
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Smart Alec (Black/Steel), Brain Bag (Back/Steel), Aeronaut (Black/Iberian) + PCBP & PCSB (400D Nordic), Tristar (Black/Iberian) + PCBP (400D Nordic), Checkpoint Flyer (Black/Indigo/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells (Black, 1, 2S, 4Z, 3), Vertical & Horizontal Freudian Slips, Camera I/O, TT (400D Nordic), Lead's Pocket (Black)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    Hello

For pictures, check out this post link:

Woah cool, the Guide's Pack!

In the post, there is a picture comparison of the S19, Smart Alec and Guide's pack. The poster, tCook is 5'3" based in that person's comments later on in the thread - excellent pic tCook!

Also, though she does not show a Smart Alec, perhaps this excellent previous post by dorayme (5'2") will help. She has done an excellent job showing how many backpacks fit (Synapse 25, 19, Brain Bag, Western Flyer, etc)

Who says short people can't carry big bags?

I would say that the Smart Alec would be slightly less wide than the Brain Bag but the same general shape (broad on top like the Brain Bag as opposed to the Synapse 25).

Here is also a YouTube video of someone showing their Smart Alec (I think this person is a forum member too). The person may be a bit taller but it may give you some more context:

Little Swift and Smart Alec - YouTube

Hope this helps

Cheers!

BTW - IMHO, I do not think the Smart Alec will be overwhelming.
    Good links from @tpnl with just a comment that the last YouTube video is by a forum member (@peregrina, whose forum post with that video can be found in the Little Swift inside Smart Alec). Although @peregrina has a small body build, she's fairly tall (I think 5'11"?).

By the way, @tpnl wrote some good comments about the Smart Alec in the thread Smart Alec Competitors? General Thoughts?. that thread also contains my post with the links to Sid O'Neill's Crate of Penguins review of the Smart Alec that includes some of the best pictures of the bag interior that I've seen. For some reason those links don't show up in the links to external reviews of Tom Bihn bags. I'm givin you the indirect thread link, because his current blog site uses flash, so for people who want to view the pictures on an iOS device, there are alternate links to his Flickr photostream given in that post.

The main additional suggestion I'd make is that you choose a light color interior to make it easy to find things inside the bag. I t doesn't have to be solar (which was Sid O'Neill's choice, and which is being retired), but a light or contrasting color makes it easier to locate items at the bottom of the bag.

HTH. moriond

@tpnl's comment about fitting a sub-woofer into the bag has me sold. I will admit that I have some reservations about the outdoorsy appearance of the SA at work (nearly all females carry a (designer) handbag), but it seems to be what I need for my last year of law school and those nasty work days. Thanks for the help, all!

I am planning to take my Smart Alec plus a new Pilot I just purchased for a business trip next week (3 days of business attire), and I am a petite 5'3". I will try to get some photos to post online when I gather my goodies to pack. I just used the Smart Alec this past week for an 8 day trip in combination with another carry-on sized bag, and I LOVED it! It is so comfortable, especially with all straps in use and adjusted. One of the handiest features I found was I have the top pocket for the Smart Alec, and I ended up storing my 3-1-1 bag in that attached to a long clip, and it was a breeze going through security. I definitely agree with Moriond's comment that a lighter interior makes it easier to find things. I have the Wasabi interior with black dyneema exterior, and I appreciate the extra visibility of the interior. Even with the bag fairly stuffed for my trip, I kept finding extra room in it to fit a few more things. Of course, that made me particularly appreciate the way that the side water bottle holder pocket can expand out when your bag is quite full, yet still easily accommodate a 1 liter water bottle. While I carry a S19 on a daily basis, my Smart Alec is my go-to bag for larger or heavier loads or grocery shopping, since the open interior really allows for unlimited organization options and it is easier to carry items of varying shapes.

This is a belated post, but I took some photos with my Smart Alec, which I love dearly. I am 5'3", and I have found this to be one of my favorite bags for carrying larger loads ranging from groceries to travel, as the unstructured space makes it extremely versatile, yet the loads ride comfortably. I have a S19 which I use almost daily, and I definitely appreciate its organization in a compact size, but I think the Smart Alec is one of my favorite backpacks ever. I am planning on using my Smart Alec in conjunction with a new Pilot for an upcoming several day business trip, and I can't wait. I will try to get some photos of all I can fit in them if I have time. Name:  Smart Alec1.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  117.0 KBName:  Smart Alec2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  114.1 KBName:  Smart Alec3.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  117.6 KBName:  Smart Alec4.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  86.2 KB

nice collorcoding between the cell and the shirt! This pictures did not work for a day or two (at my computer anyway). I am glad they work now, because I much like to see the bags on persons.

Ilkyway

What are you holding in the last photo—a black cat?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikepie View Post
    What are you holding in the last photo—a black cat?
    Yes, she kept trying to wander into the photos, either to "assist me" or to be part of the photos. :) For scale purposes, I am holding a 10 pound black cat in the photo...

I thought you were using her as a cunning way to maintain anonymity whilst online...
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    nice collorcoding between the cell and the shirt! This pictures did not work for a day or two (at my computer anyway). I am glad they work now, because I much like to see the bags on persons.

Ilkyway
    That jersey looks like one of the long sleeve Ibex Teal Green merino wool products. That's probably a long shot, since I don't recognize exactly which model, but is it? Great color, BTW.

moriond

I know it's a personal preference in the end, but would someone comment on the SA in Dyneema versus ballistic nylon? The Dyneema is lighter weight and crushable, but is this bag "better" with the structure conferred by the ballistic nylon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0