Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 3 Weeks in the UK with my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag

3 Weeks in the UK with my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag

Name:  2014-04-02 12.01.30.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  427.1 KBName:  2014-03-25 08.49.15 (800x600).jpg
Views: 802
Size:  182.5 KB

Sometimes I have crazy ideas that actually work out. My recent crazy idea was to take my family to the UK for three weeks. A fantastically uncrazy idea was to bring my packing cube shoulder bag along. Its light weight, durable, and holds a lot. I held my journal, three passports, a set of water color paints, two granola bars, guide book, and other various items we picked up along the way.

The bag was so handy and light (even as I filled with so many "necessary" items) I forgot I was wearing it. Here is the only "bag cameo" as it sit on Hadrian's Wall in Northumbria National Park. Lastly you can see it on my hip as we wander through the Rievaulx Abbey ruins. A perfect trip, made better, by not having to worry about what I was carrying or what I was carrying it in. Thank you Tom Bihn.

Thanks for posting this! What a great excursion for your family. I have the exact same pcsb and am happy to get ideas on how to use it!

Which shoulder strap did you use on it? Looks like the "regular" one?

Nice! I'm definitely being converted to the awesome utility of the PCSB - I have a PCBP but it's quite large so I'm not sure when I'd use it. Clearly I need to travel more :)

ETA: thanks to your photos, I decided that the PCSB would make a perfect lightweight SE substitute for my flight to the US, where I hope to pick up a couple of back-ordered SEs from a friend who lives out there. Order duly placed!
    Last edited by scribe; 04-14-2014 at 11:08 PM.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    ETA: thanks to your photos, I decided that the PCSB would make a perfect lightweight SE substitute for my flight to the US, where I hope to pick up a couple of back-ordered SEs from a friend who lives out there. Order duly placed!
    Agree that @lacyfinn's photos of the PCSB make a good case for this bag.

The PCSB will hold the FJN. It's also a good bag to use inside a Swift. The main drawback to using this as a SE substitute is that the regular (200d) Dyneema usually used with the PCSB and all other packing cube accessories makes it a bit floppy, unless your contents either fill the bag or act as "stiffener" (e.g., you're carrying around jackets, etc inside the bag). This is one of the reasons why the recent option to purchase the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in 400d Dyneema (due to their running out of certain 200d Dyneema colors) is so attractive.

I also meant to reply in the Perfect Packing Cube for S19 thread that the PCSB does also work in the bottom outside pocket of the Synapse 25, but it's better sized for the inside of the main Synapse 19 compartment. (In the Synapse 25 front pocket you're stuffing it rather full, so the back of the compartment will bulge into the main compartment of the Synapse 25, even though you can fit a totally full PCSB in if you work it in. You're better off using an Aeronaut end cube, which is similarly sized but not as thick in the front pocket of a Synapse 25). Didn't get around to answering these earlier due to the pain of having to take pictures in poor lighting conditions to illustrate the point.

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-15-2014 at 02:37 AM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Thanks, moriond! I've actually ordered the PCSB in black, which I think is 400d? In any case, for the flight I'll be using it to carry my iPad Mini (in cache), so it shouldn't be too floppy. That's one of the reasons for giving the PCSB a try - the iPad won't fit in a Side Effect, so I'd need to take something larger like my MCB.

Thanks also for the tip about using it with the S19. I have a 13" MacBook Air cache on rails in there most of the time, which takes up a lot of space, but it's good to know about other packing options!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I also have a PCSB, also in UV, and have used it as intended. My normal carry-on personal item is a camera bag/purse for a DSLR + lenses. On a recent trip (by first with a TB bag!), I used the PCSB in the TriStar center section to corral items like my hairbrush and makeup bag. Once I got to my daughter's house, I moved my wallet, sunglasses, kleenex, etc., to the PCSB and carried it cross-body as my purse. It IS fairly large, but I'm a tall woman and tend to have purses at least that size. My only complaint is that there is no internal organization other than the front zipper pocket and one O-ring. I've decided to buy a Side Effect to hold my essentials, then I can transfer that from the camera purse to the PCSB as needed. I had hesitated to buy a (an?) SE before because I am sure it will be too small for my everyday items.

I must say, this forum is very addicting! I have monitored a couple of other non-work related forums for years without ever before feeling the desire to actually register and post something.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

I also meant to reply in the Perfect Packing Cube for S19 thread that the PCSB does also work in the bottom outside pocket of the Synapse 25, but it's better sized for the inside of the main Synapse 19 compartment. (In the Synapse 25 front pocket you're stuffing it rather full, so the back of the compartment will bulge into the main compartment of the Synapse 25, even though you can fit a totally full PCSB in if you work it in. You're better off using an Aeronaut end cube, which is similarly sized but not as thick in the front pocket of a Synapse 25).

HTH moriond
    I'm a little confused. The PCSB seems to be all around smaller than the aeronaut end cube:

PCSB: 11.75" x 7.75" x 3"
    Aeronaut end cube: 13.4" x 7.9" x 3.1"

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tachiyaku View Post
    I'm a little confused. The PCSB seems to be all around smaller than the aeronaut end cube:

I've found that it is possible to fit a WF small cube in the front pocket of the S25, and that cube is sized more or less the same as the PCSB. I do agree with moriond's point that if the cube is overpacked, it will cannibalize space from the main compartment of the bag. Personally, I think two 3D Organizer Cubes are the perfect fit for the S25, but, in order to not hijack the thread:

@lacyfinn, that amazing photo of Hadrian's Wall made me a) super jealous; b) want to run across the moors with what little hair I have blowing back in the misty wind.

FYI

The same general dimension differences apply to the PCBPs as well compared to their dedicated packing cube equivalent - both the Aeronaut and Tri-Star/Western Flyer versions.

The reasons for the difference - I do not know. I would think it would be to accommodate for the extra straps, o-rings that are not in the standard packing cube.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 04-15-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Go Stanford, at first I was in London teaching a retreat on seeing the good, beautiful and true in our lives. I used it as a packing cube for packing watercolor paints. After the retreat when we began touring the UK, I used it as my all around carry everything bag. Perfect use of space.

Yoda Sloth, yes I used the regular strap. Worked great, packs small.

Moriond, You know I liked it floppy. When it's floppy it forms to my body which is good in large crowds of people. Like on public transportation in London. Keeps my bag from waking into people. For me that's the trouble with backpacks... clocking an unsuspecting person when I turn around.
    enjih likes this.

Volunteer Moderator

Sorry for the confusion @Tachiyaku, it turns out that I was referring to the Small Packing Cube for the Tri-Star as an alternative to the PCSB for the front pocket of the Synapse 25, and not the Aeronaut end cube. Dimensions are:
    (TB0946/TB0947) 12.8" x 7.4" x 2.4"/ 325 x 188 x 60mm 2.5 oz / 70gr

This is slightly longer than the PCSB, but not as tall at 7.4" vs. 7.75", and mostly not as thick at 2.4" vs 3". I had to look this one up, because I don't usually use the Small Tri-Star Packing Cube in the Tri-Star, but instead fill that pocket with numerous other separate items. Also, this packing cube has the distinction of being the only packing cube that I own in Solar Dyneema. I had to look up the web receipt for my purchase to check this (4/28/2009). The product code was different (TB091), and it went in with the pre-order for the original Tri-Star, and all the items were back-ordered. At that time Solar was the first Dyneema lining they offered, other than steel. There was a very limited time when they offered some packing cubes in that color, and also offered the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in Solar. (@Lani picked hers up at that time, but I already had a PCSB in Steel, so I didn't order this.)

I remember that this packing cube was another pouch that I tried out in the Imago in the Diaper cube for Imago? thread that shows the Iberian PCSB, Steel (old version Side Effect), and Iberian Clear Quarter Packing Cube inside my Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago.

HTH. moriond

ETA: The Western Flyer Small Packing Cube @Badger mentions is also taller and thicker than the Tri-Star Small Packing Cube (8.6" vs. 7.4" and 3" thick vs. 2.4"):

Western Flyer Small
    TB0955/TB0956 11.7" x 8.6" x 3" / 298 x 218 x 75mm 3 oz / 85gr

Apologies to @lacyfinn for the thread highjack, and I'll put a reply into the Perfect Packing Cube for S19 thread where this belongs.

As @Badger says, these are really beautiful pictures. I haven't been in that part of Britain for a long time.
    Last edited by moriond; 04-15-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks Badger and Moriond, very helpful. Apologies for the thread hijack.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0