Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 3 Weeks in the UK with my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lacyfinn View Post
    Moriond, You know I liked it floppy. When it's floppy it forms to my body which is good in large crowds of people. Like on public transportation in London. Keeps my bag from waking into people. For me that's the trouble with backpacks... clocking an unsuspecting person when I turn around.
    @lacyfinn I'll see whether the 400d PCSB strikes a better balance for me than the 200d Dyneema in the PCSB. If you haven't tried the 400d Dyneema, for example, in the Shop Bags, the texture is slightly more fabric-like but there's still a pliability that I don't find in Parapack. The main issue for me with the 200d Dyneema in the PCSB is that if you're carrying something small and heavier, like a camera, and the rest of the bag is not carrying jackets etc. that fill it up, the PCSB will sag around that item, so it will work well if there are other items to fill out the bag and make it hold its shape, but won't work as well when it is nearly empty (except for those items).

From the experience of the Shop Bags, Side Effect, and Swift/Little Swift, I expect to find the 400d Dyneema PCSB will still conform to my body.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-15-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Typo correction (wrote Ballistic Nylon instead of Dyneema)

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    If you haven't tried the 400d Ballistic Nylon, for example, in the Shop Bags, the texture is slightly more fabric-like but there's still a pliability that I don't find in Parapack.

moriond
    I am confused about this - are the Black and Nordic in the shop bags the 400d material or the 200d? The description states 200d but I remember some discussion about this. I re-read the thread on limited availability of 400d in some products such as PCSB and I believe that applies only to Black and Nordic, right?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    I am confused about this - are the Black and Nordic in the shop bags the 400d material or the 200d? The description states 200d but I remember some discussion about this. I re-read the thread on limited availability of 400d in some products such as PCSB and I believe that applies only to Black and Nordic, right?
    Yes, Black and Nordic are Dyneema colors that are only available in 400d weight. Steel is available in both weights of Dyneema, but I only have Steel Shop Bags in 200d Dyneema. Side Effects are (or were) available in both weights -- the initial offerings of Steel Side Effects last year, when Solar and Wasabi were offered, were only 200d Dyneema. That changed, I think, after Black Dyneema Side Effects became available with the release of that fabric at the end of September, and then again when a Nordic Dyneema Side Effect option was added in January, before the release of the Pilot. Steel (400d) Dyneema Side Effects then became an option, I think.

I think that the availability of the PCSB in 400d Dyneema only extends to Black and Nordic, and not to Steel (400d Dyneema), according to Darcy's announcement:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We're temporarily out of our Steel, Wasabi, and Iberian 200d Dyneema/nylon fabrics. Our friends at the expert mill in Japan that weave and dye the fabric for us have already been hard at work for several weeks making more. Still, we're out, and that means for the short term, we won't be able to make more bags with those as linings or exteriors. Just to be extra sure we're clear: those colors aren't going away, we've just run out of them -- temporarily.

<snip>
    There is a silver (Dyneema? ha ha.. ehh..) lining to all of this: we're making limited production runs of the some accessories in 400d Dyneema/nylon in Black, Nordic, and Steel. Yup! This will be your one chance ever to order those bags in those fabrics, and they're up for pre-order now:

Travel Tray, Black and Nordic
    Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Black and Nordic
    Packing Cube Backpack (Aeronaut), Black, Nordic, and Steel
    Packing Cube Backpack (Tri-Star/Western Flyer), Black, Nordic, and Steel
    Notice that Steel 400d Dyneema is not mentioned as an option for the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. It is an option for the Packing Cube Backpacks.

HTH. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-15-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Added comments to beginning about Steel 200d and 400d Dyneema

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    I also have a PCSB, also in UV, and have used it as intended. My normal carry-on personal item is a camera bag/purse for a DSLR + lenses. On a recent trip (by first with a TB bag!), I used the PCSB in the TriStar center section to corral items like my hairbrush and makeup bag. Once I got to my daughter's house, I moved my wallet, sunglasses, kleenex, etc., to the PCSB and carried it cross-body as my purse. It IS fairly large, but I'm a tall woman and tend to have purses at least that size. My only complaint is that there is no internal organization other than the front zipper pocket and one O-ring. I've decided to buy a Side Effect to hold my essentials, then I can transfer that from the camera purse to the PCSB as needed. I had hesitated to buy a (an?) SE before because I am sure it will be too small for my everyday items.

I must say, this forum is very addicting! I have monitored a couple of other non-work related forums for years without ever before feeling the desire to actually register and post something.
    Welcome to the forums, Auntie Em. You might be interested in the videos that @maverick did for the Side Effect, that appears in links in the discusion of today's Smaller sized body-hugging bag thread. There's also the Tom Bihn Side Effect video referenced in the Blog. I think that @taminca has pictures of some of the accessories that she uses, in addition to the Side Effect, to hold here camera gear in the First trip with Smart Alec as Camera Bag thread. There are also threads/pictures showing the use of other bags, such as the Co-Pilot, as camera bags. Hope this will get you started.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, Black and Nordic are Dyneema colors that are only available in 400d weight. Steel is available in both weights of Dyneema, but I only have Steel Shop Bags in 200d Dyneema.
    For those who are interested, the Large Shop Bag in Steel that is currently in stock is 400d. Picked one up today! (Also of interest, completely off topic, but I saw a Nordic/Solar S19 in the store that is showing as out of stock on the webpage)
    Darcy and moriond like this.

This thread makes me regret that I didn't get the packing cube messenger bag :) I did get the backpack though.

Hello! Can I ask if the PCSB can withstand being slashed with a razor. I would really like to travel with one as a daily carry. Nothing too expensive in there except maybe a lens but I'm worried about thieves slashing the bag and running.

Sent from my purple head sparrow using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    Hello! Can I ask if the PCSB can withstand being slashed with a razor. I would really like to travel with one as a daily carry. Nothing too expensive in there except maybe a lens but I'm worried about thieves slashing the bag and running.
    I think Dyneema seems strong but..

I think your best bet would be to have a an interior bag and clip it safely so if your bag somehow does get slashed, your valuable items would stay in the bag.

Thanks for the feedback.

sent from my tritium tube with tapatalk

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by readmore View Post
    For those who are interested, the Large Shop Bag in Steel that is currently in stock is 400d. Picked one up today! (Also of interest, completely off topic, but I saw a Nordic/Solar S19 in the store that is showing as out of stock on the webpage)
    The Synapse 19 in Nordic/Solar is now officially in stock. :) Note that we are running low on Nordic and are likely saving the remainder of it for making Shop Bags and a few other smaller things...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

starshine, I agree. It won't withstand being slashed with a razor, but I kept my wallet and my passports inside of it which were inside of the Tom Bihn side effect and that is made of some pretty tough stuff. Would be hard to get to them through both bags.

The Synapse 19 in Nordic/Solar is now officially in stock. :) Note that we are running low on Nordic and are likely saving the remainder of it for making Shop Bags and a few other smaller things...
    Like keystraps? Doesn't take much dyneema to make one of those ;)
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Like keystraps? Doesn't take much dyneema to make one of those ;)
    It's surprising how much Dyneema it takes to make Key Straps! Mostly because to make Key Straps the fabric used needs to be "split" and that's usually most efficient if we split a whole roll of fabric (or close to one). So, you probably won't be seeing Nordic Key Straps as we're saving Nordic to make other bags, but I do hear other colors of Key Straps (in both lengths) are in the works….
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    It's surprising how much Dyneema it takes to make Key Straps! Mostly because to make Key Straps the fabric used needs to be "split" and that's usually most efficient if we split a whole roll of fabric (or close to one). So, you probably won't be seeing Nordic Key Straps as we're saving Nordic to make other bags, but I do hear other colors of Key Straps (in both lengths) are in the works….
    @Darcy I actually like having a lot of the older solid color Cordura key straps as options, although I have both the Cordura and the Dyneema versions. It's partly that there's a different range of colors with the Cordura versions,including some nice colors that have now gone away (Cayenne, Crimson, Sapphire, etc.) For some of the pouches I attach to the keystraps, like the clear organizer wallets, I distinguish them tactilely by the texture of the fabric (oh, for a return of Cork, Hemp, and Ultrasuede options!) or by the color of the dividers as well as the pouch color. And, by the way, is there any chance of doing more with Ultrasuede in accessories?
    icebeng likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0