Like Tree23Likes
  • 9 Post By bchaplin
  • 2 Post By daisy
  • 3 Post By monkeylady
  • 2 Post By nukediver
  • 7 Post By tpnl

Thread: The Orphaned Smart Alec

The Orphaned Smart Alec

I have to admit, my pretty but rarely-used Smart Alec doesn't get out much. It is a bit too large for a commuting bag (for me), and I bought it with the thought that I could use it on gym days, but usually I can fit my workout clothes into something smaller. It is a good weekend bag, when I need it.

However, today I had a box I wanted to bring with me to work, and it was raining. Voila! The box happened to fit perfectly, and because of its barrel shape, the Smart Alec is perfectly comfortable to carry even when stuffed full. A duffel would have worked as well, but this was actually easier to navigate with in the rain.

Here you can see the Smart Alec on its way to the post office.

Name:  smart alec copy.JPG
Views: 728
Size:  202.9 KB

For a while I was thinking of selling it, but for its role as un uncomplaining worker-bag, always ready when I need to carry the odd-sized item, the Smart Alec gets to keep its job.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Volunteer Moderator
    @bchaplin Your Nordic Smart Alec looks beautiful.

We purchased a smart alec to be a cargo bag - ferrying boxes and various odd shaped items between our storage box for our online store and the post office. It is very good for this.
    List under construction ....

I know it is a great hiking bag, too. I wish I did more hiking! Perhaps if I lived in the Pacific Northwest.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I know it is a great hiking bag, too. I wish I did more hiking! Perhaps if I lived in the Pacific Northwest.
    Well........we could start a sect.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Well........we could start a sect.
    The "Order of the Nordic Smart Alec" - count me in, I've already got the bag!

But, I don't one of those...is that the price of admission, or can I join anyway?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Now I'm confused, @monkeylady. What sect were you starting...? Those who want to live in the Pacific Northwest but are stuck on the East Coast?
    ----

Great picture of your loaded Smart Alec, @bchaplin!

Similar to what you wrote, the fact that the Smart Alec is the only backpack bag in my stable that can carry bulky items (not even the Brain Bag, not other backpacks I have) is what convinced me to keep my Smart Alec too. For me, it saved so much hassle when I needed to bring a subwoofer to an event. It fit exactly in the Smart Alec and ONLY my Smart Alec.
    I have used it as my backpack EDC since then and really found a "groove" when using it - even when not carrying bulky items.

Here are a few pics of my Smart Alec as "Cargo" bag:

Fully loaded with Subwoofer and other items:

Name:  DSC03815 (854x1280).jpg
Views: 583
Size:  139.4 KB

What my Smart Alec was holding (I could not believe I could fit so much in it):

Name:  DSC03847 (1170x1280).jpg
Views: 566
Size:  133.7 KB

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 04-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0