Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Just took my new Smart Alec shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    I do believe that is a California wine... so you have excellent taste! :)
    Hehe! Thanks! I was in Cali last February for a few days (including my birthday) and it was wonderful! I definitely want to visit again some day! It was nice to get away from the -35 degree weather we were having and smoke a cigar under a palm tree on my birfday...it was a good time.

After much struggle trying to get my wine open, here's to my TB friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    Is it sad that I'm mostly excited to have discovered that the SA water bottle pocket can fit a bottle of wine with no problem? Uh oh...
    Whoa!!!! I need to see this! Pic?!?!?
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Just took my new Smart Alec shopping!

Ask and you shall receive! It fits with room to spare! Sorry for the limp state of the SA...
    Last edited by Moosezilla; 03-30-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    Darcy and Melissa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post

Ask and you shall receive! It fits with room to spare!
    Darn it. This may push me over the edge. I've been looking at the SA since it is available in black ballistic/Iberian. I don't the the WF is going to be offered in that color combo any time soon. I think the SA should fit the same amount of stuff. I'm looking for a bag to pack and go when DH and I take off for the weekend. This may fit the bill. Can I still get it WITHOUT the gun metal pulls?

Mine has the black pulls and I just ordered it on Monday! I think it may hold about the same as the WF...after eye balling my WF and SA, I think they could hold about the same...just depends how you want to organize it all.

Enablers! I'm wondering how long the black pulls will last...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

When I owned a SA, I found that depending on what I was packing, I could sometimes squeeze more into it than my WF. I can say with some authority that the bottle pocket on the WF does not fully contain a 375 ml bottle.

@ taminca, moscato is a varietal that can be grown in California, but the best (and not necessarily most expensive) comes from around Asti in Italy. In the states, Oregon wines are where it's at ;)

The SA seems to have a larger profile when viewed from the side than the S25, yet they are both about 25 liters. Does anyone own both? I love the look of the S25, but I think I prefer the ballistic nylon. Our weekend trips tend to be spontaneous trips to the desert (razors, jeeps, sand rail/dune buggies) or to the river (water skiing, "skurfing," wake-boarding, wave runners). The bags really need to be able to handle lots of abuse. (We live only 10 min from the beaches, but that is where we want to get away from!)

I am concerned about the profile because I would also like to be able to throw it in our motorcycle saddle bags.
    Last edited by Melissa; 03-30-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    @ taminca, moscato is a varietal that can be grown in California, but the best (and not necessarily most expensive) comes from around Asti in Italy. In the states, Oregon wines are where it's at ;)
    Ah poor, delusional Badger...you keep thinking that :). But zoom in on the wine bottle in the first set of photos Moosezilla posted, and you'll see that it is a Barefoot Wine moscato, made in California. Hence, an excellent indicator of Moosezilla's great taste.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Ehhhh....

By that argument, Ernest and Julio Gallo and Franzia are class act wines just because they come from California.

I'm not saying moscato isn't tasty, even when it comes from California. Just that the best ones are from the place where the grape originated and that there are other wine regions besides Napa, Sonoma, and the RRV that are doing more interesting things than riding on the Cab and Chardonnay bus to yawn yawn snorey-ville.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    The SA seems to have a larger profile when viewed from the side than the S25, yet they are both about 25 liters. Does anyone own both? I love the look of the S25, but I think I prefer the ballistic nylon. Our weekend trips tend to be spontaneous trips to the desert (razors, jeeps, sand rail/dune buggies) or to the river (water skiing, "skurfing," wake-boarding, wave runners). The bags really need to be able to handle lots of abuse. (We live only 10 min from the beaches, but that is where we want to get away from!)

I am concerned about the profile because I would also like to be able to throw it in our motorcycle saddle bags.
    I have both the SA and S25, Melissa, and have used both bags as my camera bag on half to full day outings. FWIW, I tend to use the S25 for shorter or more "urban" outings, and the SA for longer or "nature" hikes. The SA seems to have more capacity with its cavernous main compartment and also with the add on pouches -- but mostly, for me, it's because I can attach my tripod to the SA for a comfortable carry. And note that the SA is not made entirely of ballistic nylon -- just where the secondary color is, with the rest in Cordura.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Ah poor, delusional Badger...you keep thinking that :). But zoom in on the wine bottle in the first set of photos Moosezilla posted, and you'll see that it is a Barefoot Wine moscato, made in California. Hence, an excellent indicator of Moosezilla's great taste.
    It is, indeed, Barefoot Moscato...my favorite! Cheap, yet fackin delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post

I don't own both, but I was considering both before going to the store and getting my Synapse 25. Strangely, the S25 does *look* smaller, even though the SA is smaller in every dimension - this is probably because of the tapering of the S25 (which also explains why it has the same capacity as the SA, since the dimension measurements are at the widest points). From what I've seen, the S25 handles being underpacked much better, while the SA handles being overpacked (and, in the same vein, hastily packed) much better. Can't really comment on the ability to handle abuse though, since my S25 has yet to see any really strenuous conditions.

Umm Badger - have you tasted any Washington wines lately?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0